Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have noticed that my front passenger side led strip doesn’t work. The two amber LEDs light up when I start the car but the led strip doesn’t work at all. LEDs are not supposed to die this quick. Quicker than halogens!!
I have attached the photos. I’m unable to find the fuse for the strip. Let me know if you have any information

·
Registered
2011 SRX4 3.0 Engine
1,002 Posts
sounds like you need to investigate? see if you have 12 volts at the connector if so - its time to replace both housings they are fairly cheap on amazon and easy-ish to change

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have HIDs and they are a little expensive than the halogen one. Also do you happen to have the wiring diagram for this headlight assembly?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the diagram. It is really informative. I’ll go through it and update this thread with my progress.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
have a look at this?

From the diagram, I think I was able to narrow it down to side marker lamp left front.
Now it doesn’t say anything about the 2 amber led and the white led strip connections. I was able to figure out the black wire for ground. Now which color wire will be for the side markers and led strip?? If you have any idea, please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
'15 SRX Performance
25 Posts
Maybe this will help. Here is a pinout for left headlamp connector. You need to check the following pins:
  • A - black wire - ground. It should be fine since it is common ground for all headlamp electronics
  • K and B - purple wires - this is positive.

I'd try measuring the voltage between those terminals.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe this will help. Here is a pinout for left headlamp connector. You need to check the following pins:
  • A - black wire - ground. It should be fine since it is common ground for all headlamp electronics
  • K and B - purple wires - this is positive.

I'd try measuring the voltage between those terminals.
View attachment 600100
I did try using a multimeter. I was able to get a reading on both the terminals. Highly unlikely, the led died or maybe somewhere the wire is loose. I’m going to take apart the bumper in a couple of days, I’ll try to connect the passenger side headlight to the driver side connector and see if the led is dead or something wrong with the connection.
Also, is there a way to replace the led bulb from the housing? I feel like it would be way to much work but just curious if you know

·
Registered
'15 SRX Performance
25 Posts
I ha my HID lense snapped off the housing recently, so I tried to disassemble the headlight. Spoiler - I couldn't. Headlight assembly consists of two parts - clear front and black back. They are glued together. You could try to warm up the glue with a fan and try to pry it slowly, but if you warm it up too much the clear part will start fading and back part will be getting soft. So, I ended up cutting the back of main bulb housing, assembling lense and then soldering it back to housing.
About LEDs - these are not bulbs, this is a strip and it can not be replaced without complete disassemble. I have a blown LED in the top of my strip and I was not able to get to it even through 6" opening... If you have headlight removed you can open both lids and take a look at the wire going to LEDs. May be you are lucky and you have a broken wire :)

Oh, and plugging in left headlight into right socket - I am not 100% sure but I don't think it is possible. I think connectors are different

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ha my HID lense snapped off the housing recently, so I tried to disassemble the headlight. Spoiler - I couldn't. Headlight assembly consists of two parts - clear front and black back. They are glued together. You could try to warm up the glue with a fan and try to pry it slowly, but if you warm it up too much the clear part will start fading and back part will be getting soft. So, I ended up cutting the back of main bulb housing, assembling lense and then soldering it back to housing.
About LEDs - these are not bulbs, this is a strip and it can not be replaced without complete disassemble. I have a blown LED in the top of my strip and I was not able to get to it even through 6" opening... If you have headlight removed you can open both lids and take a look at the wire going to LEDs. May be you are lucky and you have a broken wire :)

Oh, and plugging in left headlight into right socket - I am not 100% sure but I don't think it is possible. I think connectors are different
Hats off to you for cutting the headlight unit and soldering it back together. I can only imagine how it looks. But hey, as long as it works!
For the connector, I believe I just have to flip it and it should work. But I’ll let you know
And for the led strip, I did some research and the led strip is basically a led bulb on the bottom with a curved glass tube, with markings along the way so when the light is turned on, it goes through the tube, and illuminates the cuts in the glass tube. If you point your phone’s camera on the led strip and turn down the exposure, you’ll notice it being brighter on the bottom and lighter as you go up.
I hope it’s a broken wire !! I’ll update the thread with my findings. And in the meantime, if you have any new information regarding the led strip, please share it with me.

·
Registered
'15 SRX Performance
25 Posts
So, I went to garage and found my previous headlamp that was smashed in accident. For some reason I kept debris in the box, now I see why :)
You were right, there is a tube and only one LED in the bottom. But it is connected to a radiator plate and you can't remove it without full disassembly. The good news is that there are a couple of connectors that might come loose. You can try those by opening lids.
Here are some pictures.
This is tube, coming out of grey housing:

This is how LED looks on the radiator.

Here is how it is all connected inside the headlight. You can see 2 connectors that could come loose:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the photos. Now I know what I’m getting into. In my case, amber leds work but the strip doesn’t. So I feel like the plug got disconnected or broken wire or worst “water damage”!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts