Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 deville base
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK first i hit a curve and smashed up my front end pretty bad. I have to replace my passenger side steering knuckleand lower control arm can anyone help me. i have no idea how to replace them i replaced my wheel bearing recently so I figure it should be fairly easy.

·
Registered
97 DeVille
172 Posts
first, you probably want to make sure that what the lower control arm bolts to hasn't moved.

Jack the car up, and measure as precisely as you can parallel points on the left and right side of the car, from some rear suspension member to
a mounting bolt of the control arm [where it mounts to the body]. It should be within a 1/16 of an inch [or 1 mm if you are in Canada!].

You also should check that it hasn't twisted [one bolt hole is further out than the other].
I believe the distance between the front two and the rear two mounting bolts should also be the same.

If it has, you probably will want to junk it, as it generally is expensive to get a unibody frame straightened and if you don't the car won't
handle right.

As for actually repairing it, the cheap chilton/haynes repair manuals you find at your local parts store would have the procedure, as it's pretty straightforward and common.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
If you got a curb hard enough to damage a control arm and knuckle, step one is to take the car to a good body shop and have the cradle/unibody inspected.

For future reference, Chiltons/Haynes manuals are more useful as door stops.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,779 Posts
After reading the title I thought this was going to be a medical thread and was ready to move it to the lounge. :)

·
Registered
2005 deville base
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really dont have the money to afford the manual now is there anyone out there that knows how to do the repair and thanks for the info davester

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
As posted, there may be bigger issues thatbswapping in new parts won't fix.

·
Registered
2005 deville base
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The unibody is fine does anyone know how to replace lower control arm and steering knuckle? In need of major. assistance thank you

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
Oh it is? So you have the equipment to check it yourself or you took it to a shop?.....

FSM or try the tech tips section. These are pretty straight forward bolt on parts. The control arm to cradle bolts must be tightened with the weight of the car on them, at ride height.

·
Registered
2005 deville base
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took it to a body shop that used my recent alignment to do some type of measuring. Thanks for the info but what do you mean I have to use the weight of the car to tighten bolts

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
"With the weight of the car on them". You can't use the weight of the car to tighten them. You tighten them to spec with a torque wrench, while they are installed on the car with the wheels on the ground.

·
Registered
2005 deville base
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One more question what should the lower control arm and spindle be torque to on 2005 deville

1 - 11 of 11 Posts