Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CTS,2015 ATS Coupe
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please advise me how the front license plate holder is attached to the 2014 CTS? I am looking to purchasing a certified used one that has a front plate holder installed but since I'm in Indian I don't need it and wanted to be sure it would not need anything to cover the previous installation..If anyone has images that would help.

Thanks much
Dave

·
Registered
2014 CTS Luxury - Red Obsession with Cashmere
67 Posts
Mine is screwed directly into the bumper facia. When I removed it I had large holes in the plastic that would have to be repaired and repainted if I were to go plateless.

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6 (Light Platinum/Black on Gray)
18 Posts
dpowell3854 said:
Can someone please advise me how the front license plate holder is attached to the 2014 CTS? I am looking to purchasing a certified used one that has a front plate holder installed but since I'm in Indian I don't need it and wanted to be sure it would not need anything to cover the previous installation..If anyone has images that would help. Thanks much Dave
Hey Dave,
I have the same problem with my CTS Coupe. I have been searching the Internet for an answer to our problem. So far I have found that it is a situation for many other owners.
Okay, there is a Company called BumperPlugs.com You can select GM for searching your car color. If you put in Cadillac the color are limited. So with the GM selected I found that I could order plugs the exact color of my car. Their price is $27. per pair. I have five holes I will have to plug. That makes for me an expense of three pair. I'm not happy with that.
I am currently considering grinding down Stainless Steel Carriage bolt heads, which are about the same color as my Light Platinum CTS.
If the color does match after grinding I will paint them to match.
Should you google the subject, you will find many solutions, none of which appealed to me.

Note: if you find a better solution please come back and repost it here. I will do that also.
Good luck
Curt

·
Registered
Cadillac technician
668 Posts
Don't install it upside down! I had to bring this to the attention of the engineers and monthly service video that idiot other dealers are installing these upside down and blocking half the radiator inlet when highway driving with the grill shutters closed.

·
Registered
Cadillac technician
668 Posts
#PIC5922B: Revised Front License Plate Bracket Installation Instructions - (Oct 13, 2014)
Subject: Revised Front License Plate Bracket Installation Instructions

Models: 2014 - 2015 Cadillac CTS Sedan (VIN A)
with Front License Plate Mounting Package (RPO VK3)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to update Model Years. Please discard PIC5922A

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/ConcernRevised License Plate Bracket Installation Instructions

Recommendation/InstructionsThe installation of the front license plate bracket (if equipped) has been revised for better retention.

Do NOT use the rivets included in the trunk bag for installing the Front License Plate Mounting Package (RPO VK3).

If bolts and u-nuts are included in the trunk (small package with instruction sheet), use those to install the bracket following the instructions below.

If bolts and u-nuts are not in the trunk, order four (4) bolts and four (4) nuts to install the front bracket.

Reference Parts Information section below.

Please follow the instruction below for proper installation of the bracket.

 1. Drill 5.0 mm holes in all 4 location holes in bracket marked “X.”

 2. Install bolts through the license plate bracket and fascia holes.

 3. Reach inside and behind the fascia (through the lower fascia opening) and install u-nuts on the backside. The u-nut is being used only as a nut, it does not clip on to any body parts.
 4. Tighten bolts into u-nuts with a torque of (22 in lbs.) or (2.5 nm.).
Important: If the front license plate bracket was already installed using the rivets from the bag of PDI dealer-installed items in the vehicle's trunk, verify the bracket is securely installed by pulling forward on the bracket. If the bracket easily pulls out of the fascia, reinstall it using the bolts and nuts rather than rivets.

Note: The license plate bracket MUST be mounted as shown above so that airflow through the fascia is not restricted and proper engine cooling occurs.

Parts Information

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.