Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder why it`s position is such that it covers the bottom of the chrome trim around the grill. Seems to me it would have been better to have it lower so as not to cover it. I wonder if it can be moved down a little...but I guess that might involve drilling new holes.

·
Registered
2016 XTS Premium
1,776 Posts
Back when the 08 CTS came out a lot of us were dealing with same issue. Dont know if it can be done with the XTS but we turned the bracket upside down in order to attach it lower. We used Bumper Plugs to take care of previously drilled holes.

·
Registered
2013 XTS4 Platinum '91 Caprice Wagon '15 Impala LTZ (wife's)
471 Posts
I'm tempted to remove mine, but there will be paint damage to repair, making it expensive. I have driven my 'vettes and Mus6ang no front plate and never bothered, but might be different with the Caddie. The front plate is a blight upon the looks of the car and the '18-'19 4c52ec234d8abe673a48c88baea571a7.jpg IMG_4360.jpg cadillac-xts-2017-159-11453-640.jpg is much worse due to the larger grille.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Back when the 08 CTS came out a lot of us were dealing with same issue. Dont know if it can be done with the XTS but we turned the bracket upside down in order to attach it lower. We used Bumper Plugs to take care of previously drilled holes.
I saw on the forum where one person did just that, but he did it before the dealer put it on. He turned it upside down and put it a lot lower.
When looking at mine I think I could lower it 1 or 1.5 inches and it would clear the grill trim but still cover the holes. Turning it upside down ie 180 degrees might also be an option. Either way, new holes will need to be drilled.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm tempted to remove mine, but there will be paint damage to repair, making it expensive. I have driven my 'vettes and Mus6ang no front plate and never bothered, but might be different with the Caddie. The front plate is a blight upon the looks of the car and the '18-'19 View attachment 576304 View attachment 576305 View attachment 576306 is much worse due to the larger grille.
Mine is new, has not seen any significant weathering yet, so I'm hoping no paint damage or at least any that would show.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dealer did mine. Was not able to lower it completely below the grill trim as it would have sat at a downward angle, but enough that all of the lower grill fins show and more of the chrome trim.

·
Registered
2016 XTS platinum
60 Posts
I'm tempted to remove mine, but there will be paint damage to repair, making it expensive. I have driven my 'vettes and Mus6ang no front plate and never bothered, but might be different with the
I removed a front plate bracket from my Buick Regal. When I removed it there was some marring on the paint but I took rubbing compound and polished it out. Then I found 3/16" push in plugs on E-bay and put them the holes. You could remove your bracket and see if you can polish out the marks left by the bracket. If they come out you could get some plugs and paint them with some touch up paint. Just a thought.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wonder why it`s position is such that it covers the bottom of the chrome trim around the grill. Seems to me it would have been better to have it lower so as not to cover it. I wonder if it can be moved down a little...but I guess that might involve drilling new holes.
Mines do not cover the grill, it’s just below. Maybe it’s the type of bracket that was used.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mines do not cover the grill, it’s just below. Maybe it’s the type of bracket that was used.
Does it cover any of the chrome trim at the bottom of the grill? I've not seen any that don't.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like the same bracket. Mechanic showed that if I did that it would angle down about 25 degrees. I would like to have it look like yours (y)

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is the lowest they could put it without it being at a downward angle. With my chrome plate frame I think it looks okay.

·
Registered
2013 XTS4 Platinum '91 Caprice Wagon '15 Impala LTZ (wife's)
471 Posts
Now, if we just used the narrow European style plate, there would be no problem.....I fitted a clear plastic shield and put some "park by feel" deterrent bullets on mine and live with the funky fit (which is not as bad obviously on the original design).
IMG_1440.jpg

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not sure my plate is actually angled. I'll take a look later. Anyway whats with the angle? A Canadian law?
Not sure if it's a law or not...I doubt it is though. The mechanic didn't think it would be a best practice to attach it with it being at an angle.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like they turned the plate 180 so the top (larger end) is now at the bottom. Could not do that with mine as the bottom of the bracket is entirely open.

·
Registered
2016 XTS platinum
60 Posts
There should be a part number on the back. I looked up the number on mine and it was for an XT5 so the dealer gave me the wrong one. Never used it though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts