Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
'11 CTS-V Coupe M6, '05 1SG STS4 V8
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold my 07 STS4 and bought an 05 STS4 1SG V8 with every option but ACC.

Both front seats heat and cool feature doesn't work, both seats' power controls work, and the climate control display is working correctly, fuses are good. Where do I look next?

Unfortunately this car has a lot of little (and some big) issues that I didn't notice upon inspection, I regret selling my 07 that had no issues. Dealer told me no issues but hey I guess that's how some people deal.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
I think the shop manuals (3 volumes) will cost you about $300 from Helm.com.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
I've been a bit underwhelmed by alldata lately... didn't even mention the 10 bolts you have to loosen up to get the rear bumper cover off, it only covered 2 of the 12 needed.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Seriously though, sometimes Alldata does have some inexpensive deals and they do offer most of the diagnostic procedures.

E Will 3rd & all the most reliable Master Cadillac Tech's seem to have moved on. There's still some know-how, from time-to-time, but not like those years when our cars were still being built. 'Course opinions vary, but I think you'd save money taking your car to the best nearby Cadillac dealer and have them fix it.

Why didn't you have your mechanic inspect the car before making the deal?

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
The first thing I have always obtained after purchasing a new vehicle is a complete set of service manuals. I did this with my '06 STS and they have paid for themselves many times over. Now the Cheap Charlies find themselves over a barrel when it comes to DIY repairs. Too bad, so sad. They should have read the story of the ant and the grasshopper.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Figured others have had the same issue before but I guess not. I got wiring schematics from my father (works at GM) guess I'll let you guys know what we find. Hard to believe both just broke, must be a controller or something under the seats.

I'm a DIY guy, won't take my car to a mechanic or dealer unless it's totally out of my ability to fix. Knew the seats weren't working when purchased it- just some other things also wrong that I didn't notice, but those aren't as technical.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Might as well try the reset procedure. (Remove battery cables, touch them together to discharge caps & reconnect.) Have your fob handy to press 'Unlock' and be safe by working on the negative cable first & last.

If you haven't done it to the car yet AND have other assorted odd things, who knows? A re-boot is always the first thing to try. It fixed my wife's cruise control once!

Since virtually all the accessories are really in standby 100% of the time and actually receiving power all the time, nothing in these cars may actually turn out to be 'not as technical'.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did try that after checking fuses ;) but the terminals didn't spark when I touched them together. What's up with that?

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
I wouldn't expect to see a spark during the day or under good light. The 'touch' is to dissipate any residual charge in capacitors in the power supplies in up to 20 different modules throughout the car. You could also simply wait overnight & accomplish the same thing. There isn't that much 'charge' present, but by drawing them down, it forces the entire system to reload from your configuration settings, stored in EPROM (Erasable Programed Read-Only Memory).

STS Express Window settings should be the only 'casualty' to the system reset. Everything else should be retained. The relearn procedure is so easy, you might do it by mistake!

Programming the Power Windows

If the battery on your vehicle has been recharged, disconnected, or is not working, you will need to
reprogram each window for the express-up feature to work. To program each window, follow these steps:

1. With the ignition on or in ACC, or while RAP is active, close all doors.
2. Press and hold the power window switch until the window has fully opened.
3. Continue holding the switch for approximately two seconds.
4. Pull up the power window switch until the window is fully closed.

The window is now programmed. Repeat the process for all windows.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I have power at each seat and the control module under the passenger seat...pulled the control module as well as the HVAC head unit itself, and the circuit boards look great, so I don't think those are an issue. I can also ground the power wire for the fans in the seats and they'll kick on.

Anyone have any ideas? Ground maybe? The car is from the south so no rust at all...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nobody? This kinda sucks one of the best features of this car won't work. :/

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Control module looks fine.

I can ground the power wire for each seat's fans and they kick on. Tried grounding the ground wire while the seat fan was turned on and nothing happened. This is all being done at the control module.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Appearance of electrical components is of little consequence. I've occasionally seen pretty badly damaged stuff work, too.

Haven't you received multiple suggestions to replace it? If you prefer, consult an expert. Everybody has to make a living.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd be happy to replace it and rule it out if I could find one. What salvage yard is going to let it go without the seats?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts