Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Seville STS 1994 (R.I.P), Seville SLS 1997
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've a Seville Sls 1997 with 190k miles on it.
3 days ago the front end / suspension dropped about 5" and that's making the car bottom out at the front when i go over a speed bump ...

i know my struts needing to be replaced (already ordered the arrnots struts) but i don't think that would cause the front to just drop
would it be possible that there is a problem with the ride height sensors ? would that cause it to drop the front 5"?

(btw im Dutch so don't flame me for typo's)

Richard

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
The front suspension is not ride-height controlled. That is, there's no adjustment...the position sensors are there only for the active struts, not the ride height. The only way the height could drop 5" would be because of a failed coil spring in the strut.

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
From what I have also read here and talking with other car junkies, Jadcock is on the right track, the coil springs could have reached their end of life point! but I'm no expert, just a reader most of the time.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that would mean the right and the left springs failed at the same time thou
cuz the height on left and right side is the same

any change the coil springs from a 1994 STS (with 25k mile) would fit a 1997 SLS ?

Thanks
Richard

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
That is odd they failed at the same time. have you looked at them? Do the gaps between the coils look very small?

I would think coils from the 94 to 97 would interchange. Aren't they the same generation?

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
The spring rates between an STS and SLS are different. But otherwise, yes, they're the same generation.

The shock and or spring must have failed at the same time on both sides. Who knows? Either way, it's got to be a mechanical failure. There is no ride height adjustment on the front. Unless someone happened to install air bags in the front for some reason, before you got it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the openings on the springs look almost to same as the sts 1994 ..
so they don't look to bad at all..

there no airbags.. its still all oem.. except for the right strut mount.. had to replace that one 3 months ago cuz the mounts broke off..

anyways, ill check it out some more tomorrow..

what if the ride hight sensor things behind the wheels shorted out? i though they where responsible for providing the air in the struts?

ABS is starting to fail now to

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
There is no air in the front struts. Only in the rear shocks. The ride height sensors on the front help the RSS module determine how much to actuate the dampening valves in the struts making them firmer for smooth roads or softer for bumpy roads (it also varies with the speed you're going).

Without looking at it, I can only guess at the problem. The springs are a good guess, but why did they both go at the same time? I would advise you to get it looked at by an experienced (and trustworthy) mechanic. It might even be better to get it towed to the shop in case it was something major that broke. Wouldn't want to have your next post being how the wheels went sideways causing you to loose control and crash.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts