Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 STS
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have 05 V6 with 203k, my cady front end producing clunking noise, Whenever I apply brakes while car running over bumps and even on plain road it produces little clunk sound. But if I cross the bumps without applying brakes then there is no clunk sound. Yesterday, I went to workshop and did detailed inspection then mechanic told me shocks, upper/lower control arms are OK. He asked for these spares needs to be replaced, Engine mounts, Transmission mount, D-bush & stabilizer links.

Is it possible that engine mounts can produce clunk noise?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2006 STS4 4.6L
724 Posts
Absolutely. I could go into a whole explanation but the short and sweet answer is that yes, bad/worn engine mounts can and will cause clunking.

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 08 Light Platinum SRX V8, 05 White Diamond STS4 V8 1SG
2,105 Posts
I would start with the stabilizer bushings and links first. I am also suspicious of the lower control arms, especially with that mileage. Not sure I trust a visual inspection for the LCA bushings.

·
Registered
2005 STS
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would start with the stabilizer bushings and links first. I am also suspicious of the lower control arms, especially with that mileage. Not sure I trust a visual inspection for the LCA bushings.
Mechanic checked the LCA and didn't find any play and I was also relax about this because almost 05 years before they were replaced and for UCA, I think I changed them 03 years back.
Therefore, we were considering Motor mounts + stabilizer links + stabilizer bushings and additionally transmission mount.

·
Registered
2005 STS
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update __ Finally received the parts and replacement done including motor mounts, transmission mount, stabilizer links and stabilizer bushings

Outcome __ Engine vibration gone, Smoother ride and quieter passing over small potholes/uneven surfaces

Problem Solved __ NO!

Even after doing all these replacements, this front end clunking noise is still there. As I mentioned earlier about that noise therefore, looking for your valuable inputs/comments.

Mechanic told me that he will remove struts + parts and will examine them.

·
Registered
08 STS 1SG HUD ACC F55 AWD, 08 STS 1SG Platinum HUD ACC F55 RWD
514 Posts
Time to strap a GoPro under your car and take it for a ride. First one front corner and then the other. Note the exact time you hear the clunks so you can focus on those times on the film. Good luck and let us know the results.

·
Registered
2005 STS
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Time to strap a GoPro under your car and take it for a ride. First one front corner and then the other. Note the exact time you hear the clunks so you can focus on those times on the film. Good luck and let us know the results.
Sorry, can't do this GoPro thing :( but just want to add one new finding that is, this front end driving clunk sound is coming only in forward direction. If car moves in reverse over bump with brakes, no sound is coming.

Again mechanic said he have to do some extensive check by removing or loosing the control arms to pin point the culprit. As you know, suspension parts are quite expensive and previously, I had already changed (engine + Tranny) mounts to remove this sound but no benefit.

·
Registered
2005 STS
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally! find the culprit and that is "Strut Mounts"

·
Registered
08 STS 1SG HUD ACC F55 AWD, 08 STS 1SG Platinum HUD ACC F55 RWD
514 Posts
Top strut mount or bottom?

·
Registered
2005 STS
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, but as per my knowledge there is only top strut mount which went bad. Having no idea about bottom mounts:rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts