Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched, but there really isn't a thread completely on this. Checking the faq shows taking off the front bumper, but 510 says you only have to unclip the three clips along the wheel well, reach your hand in there and do it.

Any other options?

How would you get the clips out without breaking them?

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
I searched, but there really isn't a thread completely on this. Checking the faq shows taking off the front bumper, but 510 says you only have to unclip the three clips along the wheel well, reach your hand in there and do it.

Any other options?

How would you get the clips out without breaking them?
Which is why I made sure to do the DRL delete mod. A DRL seems to burn out quickly on a GM vehicle. Whether it's a lower watt bulb in the headlight or the turn signals the Caddys and Grand Prix used, they burn out quickly.

I don't think it would be very hard doing it 510's way, but do both sides and then do the delete and your turn signal bulbs should last infinitely longer...

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It lasted 94,000 miles. I'll take it.

·
Registered
1959 Cadillac, 1980 Cadillac,Former 2005 CTS-V; now a 2009 V
2,210 Posts
i did this myself with a screwdriver and 20 minutes of time. not even, maybe 15 minutes.

you just remove all the clips under the wheel well (turn the wheel all the way to the one side so you have more room). you don't actually REMOVE any of the wheel well, you just remove enough of the clips to fit your hand in and remove the bulb.

seriously, 15 minutes of time. that's it.

with the clips, you pull up on the center piece, and then the clip pulls out. don't try to pull it out without pulling the center piece out first, or you'll damage the clip :)

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Screw driver or pliers? Thanks.

·
Registered
2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes
3,012 Posts
Screw driver or pliers? Thanks.
both if you want..

i use 2 screwdrivers.. wedge them in from opposing sides. gently wiggle the clip up

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
i did this myself with a screwdriver and 20 minutes of time. not even, maybe 15 minutes.

you just remove all the clips under the wheel well (turn the wheel all the way to the one side so you have more room). you don't actually REMOVE any of the wheel well, you just remove enough of the clips to fit your hand in and remove the bulb.

seriously, 15 minutes of time. that's it.

with the clips, you pull up on the center piece, and then the clip pulls out. don't try to pull it out without pulling the center piece out first, or you'll damage the clip :)
:yeah::yeah::yeah:

Gently pry up the middle part of the clips until it looks like the turkey is done. ;)

All you need to do once you get your hand in there is follow the wire and twist the bulb connection and out it comes.

·
Registered
Platinum 2004 CTS-V
4,914 Posts
Like everyone is saying: use two screwdrivers, one on each side of the flat part of the tab. Pull towards you and the head will come out of the tabs. If you can get in there with just taking these 3 tabs out, that sounds pretty easy. You might have to take the other two tabs out (you can see the one missing, and the other still in it)
I think there's two tabs on the bottom as well, but you shouldn't have to remove those if you just want to bend the plastic shield down.

^I took my wheel off (but I was removing the whole fog assy) Just make sure if you pull the plastic wheel well shield out, watch that brake duct plastic tube and make sure it doesn't get disconnected.^

Here's what you the back of the fog light/DRL assy looks like if you can't see the whole thing. Grab for the top connector, and twist it out.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gently pry up the middle part of the clips until it looks like the turkey is done.
I like done turkeys!

Thanks all, Lolly, great photos. Perfect.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's done. The pics and descritption of the "turkey's done" were perfect. My stupid ass unhooked the little blue thingy in the second picture before I stopped and said, wait a min you idiot thats the fog light! Came in looked at the pic and spend most of my time trying to get it back on lol. I also unclipped one clip under the bumper to get my hand in there. Anyone that's a normal man size with man hands will have to unclip more, like the two to the inside of the wheel well, and for that you'll have to remove the wheel. The right side light was out, so I found it easier to turn the wheel to the right allowing the plastic to be bent back and not touch the wheel.

·
Registered
1959 Cadillac, 1980 Cadillac,Former 2005 CTS-V; now a 2009 V
2,210 Posts
yeah i ended up removing about a dozen clips, but yeah - i could have fit both my hands in. still, not as hard as i thought it would be, but not as easy as i would have liked ;)

you all had to use TWO screwdrivers? i just used one ;) seriously though, most of the clips i could pull the center piece out by hand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts