Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 STS V6
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

2006 STS RWD with 73000 miles. Hearing a humming sound once I reach about 45 mph and on up to 75. Haven’t gone faster….lol.

Sound varies with speed. Slower and the pitch is lower. Higher and pitch is higher.

Shift to neutral at speed no change.

No change in different road surfaces either. Asphalt and concrete same pitch.

No changes when changing lanes or trying to put some pressure on the wheel/suspension.

At lower speeds no sound. No grinding. No bearing fail sound that I am familiar with.

Is this sign of a wheel bearing going bad?

Could it possibly be harmonic vibration from some of the plastic panels in the wheel well area (which have been removed and replaced during some body work). The plastic panel on the bottom under the engine was simply removed at one point because it got mangled mysteriously when my son had the car. But that was well before this sound issue.

Only recent work was power steering pump and rack. Rear differential bushing (had excessive play and clunk sound). Brakes about 10k ago. Tires rotated in spring. Tires are all the same size and not staggered. Went with rear size all around but that was before this issue (I am pretty sure).

I don’t have a lift or ramps. Just would like to know thoughts and opinions. Maybe some troubleshooting I can do.

thanks I’m advance,

ART

·
Registered
2014 XTS V-Sport Platinum
2,369 Posts
Sounds like a hub bearing to me. Just changed my front passenger side one earlier this year.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Jack the car up and spin the wheel by hand And see if you can hear and feel anything, also grab the tire at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock and try to wiggle in-and-out and do the same at 12 and 6 and see what you get.

Roy

·
Registered
2007 STS4
22 Posts
It will be the bearing, I've changed three of them on mine and the hum will probably get louder the longer it goes, any warning coming up on dash yet? Find a quiet street and do some S turns and listen if the sound goes away while you are turning left or right, it will quiet while it is unloading the pressure on the wheel.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 4.6L
742 Posts
Definitely sounds like the wheel bearing. As was mentioned, get the wheels off the ground and see what kind of movements you get from the wheels.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi All,

2006 STS RWD with 73000 miles. Hearing a humming sound once I reach about 45 mph and on up to 75. Haven’t gone faster….lol.

Sound varies with speed. Slower and the pitch is lower. Higher and pitch is higher.

No changes when changing lanes or trying to put some pressure on the wheel/suspension.

At lower speeds no sound. No grinding. No bearing fail sound that I am familiar with.

Could it possibly be harmonic vibration from some of the plastic panels in the wheel well area (which have been removed and replaced during some body work). The plastic panel on the bottom under the engine was simply removed at one point because it got mangled mysteriously when my son had the car. But that was well before this sound issue.

Only recent work was power steering pump and rack. Rear differential bushing (had excessive play and clunk sound). Brakes about 10k ago. Tires rotated in spring. Tires are all the same size and not staggered. Went with rear size all around but that was before this issue (I am pretty sure).

I don’t have a lift or ramps. Just would like to know thoughts and opinions. Maybe some troubleshooting I can do.

thanks I’m advance,

ART
Yes if rotating the tires didn’t relocate the sound,,,,, id say its a bearing going bye bye

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi All,

thanks I’m advance,

ART
My grandsons work at discount tire and they see snd hear problems like this, sometimes its the tread design and sometimes a balance issue, sometimes a bearing going out and that was my case....a bad bearing on a front wheel drive vehicle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts