Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum and I just wanted to introduce myself. Here's my current situation. I own a Cadillac Escalade. For the first time since I bought this truck I have to do major repairs. I fixed the oil pan and the rear seal. Now the biggest problem: I have to replace the front differential. I have called everywhere trying to help my mechanic save me some money for this part. Anyone have any idea where I can locate this part for a decent price. The mechanic saw one for $600 a few weeks ago but now it's gone. Pls let me know if anyone knows anything ASAP. thank you.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Welcome to the Forums. You'd best address question to members of the Escalade Forum. Best of luck!

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
:moved: to the Escalade forums.

----------

This is also the best place to let people know you're seeking new headlights.

·
Registered
07 Escalade, 01 DEVILLE,'68 SEDAN DEVILLE (CTS SOLD)
31 Posts
I found a used low mileage front diff carrier for my 2007 Escalade from a yard in michigan for $400 bucks two or three years ago. I did have to go pick it up in person. It has worked fine 50,000 miles plus later. Dealer charged me $300-$400 to put it in. If I can find the paperwork I will attach it.

·
Registered
2007 STS-V, 2007 Escalade, 2003 Escalade EXT, 2014 ELR
825 Posts
I found a used low mileage front diff carrier for my 2007 Escalade from a yard in michigan for $400 bucks two or three years ago. I did have to go pick it up in person. It has worked fine 50,000 miles plus later. Dealer charged me $300-$400 to put it in. If I can find the paperwork I will attach it.
Salvage yard is a little risky as I have gotten a bad one on my 05. It turned out to be a $500 core and I put my original one back in after only a few hundred miles. A pro shop will cost probably a grand if you do the R&R yourself (that's what I was quoted). I wish I had gone that route. Now that $500 core will be a $1500 job if my original diff finishes eating itself up.

I did the R&R on my 05 myself and it took a couple of hours on my back in the driveway on ramps. If you can manipulate a bulky 100lb mass around with some patience it might be doable for you. I used a floor jack to steady it while I moved it around into place.

Sometimes the salvage yard is a good deal though. I called a local yard that had a transfer case advertised on eBay for $350 a few years ago. When I called them, not mentioning the eBay ad they sold it to me for $200. That one worked out great for me, the diff not so much.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
This is a common problem, many owners do not keep up with all the things needed to be done, changing the diff oil is VERY important because of the small amounts of oil the diffs hold, buying used is a real gamble because many owners did nothing like I describe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts