Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 02 6.0 awd the front differential went bad was wondering which other ones can be interchanged if any from yukon/tahoe suburban if they had to be awd or not i know mine has 373 gear in front if anyone could help i have looked cant seem to find out anything online thanks

·
Registered
234 Posts
I don't know why there would be a difference between AWD and 4WD front differentials. I can't see GM tooling up a different differential just because the transfer case is full time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know there are 2 different gears they use a 342 and 373 dont want to put one with wrong gears ratio in

·
Registered
470 Posts
i have a 02 6.0 awd the front differential went bad was wondering which other ones can be interchanged if any from yukon/tahoe suburban if they had to be awd or not i know mine has 373 gear in front if anyone could help i have looked cant seem to find out anything online thanks
I believe the only ones that will swap in MUST be from an AWD of the same body style. Perhaps from the Silverado SS as well. There is a difference in the 4wd variants as they have an electronically controlled mechanism to engage and disengage them. It would be a lot more economical to just rebuild the one you have. I just did mine for about $200 which includes all bearings, races, seals and 3 quarts of 75w 90 synthetic gear oil with friction modifier additive. I do have to warn you, it is not a job for the faint of heart and I did have to fabricate a tool to torque down the backlash adjustment nuts. I have a digital service manual that could get you through it if you want to take a look. I was able to purchase all of the replacement parts from O'Reilly's.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Don't know how deep you want to get in to it but there is a guy here in West Palm Selling everything from the transfer case forward from a 2004 for $2200.

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/pts/3331374533.html

Includes the LQ9, transmission and everything!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
different diff housing as there is no axle engagment actuator , cheap bearing kit, not for low skill level though. usually the carrier bearings are what wear out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe i have the same moaning sound coming from the front diff. Already changed Brake Pads with Rotors and both hub assembly`s no luck. Im going to flush the fluids today to see if theres anything suspicious. I suspect carriers bearings to be the problem. I never did a rebuild on a differential but i think i can work this through. You said you had a digital service manual you could share it would be of great help. Thanx

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
ericdery said:
I believe i have the same moaning sound coming from the front diff. Already changed Brake Pads with Rotors and both hub assembly`s no luck. Im going to flush the fluids today to see if theres anything suspicious. I suspect carriers bearings to be the problem. I never did a rebuild on a differential but i think i can work this through. You said you had a digital service manual you could share it would be of great help. Thanx
Have you checked the transmission fluid it can cause the transmission to whine if it is low(and is a cheap fix) how to tell is get the truck up to speed to where it makes the whine and put the tranny in neutral if the whine goes away then it ain't the front diff

·
Registered
470 Posts
Here is a download link to the digital manual I used:

https://www.box.com/shared/luccglfch1pfiel4y22j

Here is a picture of the tool I fabricated to properly adjust the backlash. It's just a 1/4 inch thick 3x2 steel that I cut with an angle grinder then put a grade 8 bolt through it. You will have to apply100lbs of torque through this tool so it has to be strong:

Ensure you set the backlash and torque correctly or you will be doing this again before you think. If you have any issues or problems feel free to PM me or post here again and I'll do my best to help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hello I'm trying to get more info on front diff replacement is it possible to use any awd system or has to be 2000 to 2002 like transfer case ?? also mine started making humming noise then gradually got louder as I time went by so not sure if my transfer case is shot or bad differential I hear all the noise coming from under driver side not rear of trans also

·
Registered
11 Posts
read somewhere only 2003 has different system and software and most Denali trucks are same or similar wasnt sure if yukon denali used the same system and if that would work also

·
Registered
342 Posts
As far as I know, the Yukon Denali and the Escalade were identical mechanically, and all driveline parts should swap right in.

According to Rock Auto, the 2002 and 2003 Escalade have the same transfer case.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
As far as I know, the Yukon Denali and the Escalade were identical mechanically, and all driveline parts should swap right in.

According to Rock Auto, the 2002 and 2003 Escalade have the same transfer case.
Well, Rock Auto got it wrong. The 2002 model actually has a viscous coupler-type transfer case, while the 2003 models got a open differential transfer case that is controlled by the ABS brake system. The two are physically the same, but the internals are different. I am not sure about the electronics compatibility since the newer type BW4481 uses a speed sensor to control the torque-bias while the NP149 relies on fluid dynamics to distribute torque.

The 2002 model use the NP149 transfer case. The 2003+ models used a BW4481 transfer case.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, Rock Auto got it wrong. The 2002 model actually has a viscous coupler-type transfer case, while the 2003 models got a open differential transfer case that is controlled by the ABS brake system. The two are physically the same, but the internals are different. I am not sure about the electronics compatibility since the newer type BW4481 uses a speed sensor to control the torque-bias while the NP149 relies on fluid dynamics to distribute torque.

The 2002 model use the NP149 transfer case. The 2003+ models used a BW4481 transfer case.

do u know if the differential is similar in 03 and would it fit also what other makes nd models could I use the front diff from

·
Registered
11 Posts
I believe the only ones that will swap in MUST be from an AWD of the same body style. Perhaps from the Silverado SS as well. There is a difference in the 4wd variants as they have an electronically controlled mechanism to engage and disengage them. It would be a lot more economical to just rebuild the one you have. I just did mine for about $200 which includes all bearings, races, seals and 3 quarts of 75w 90 synthetic gear oil with friction modifier additive. I do have to warn you, it is not a job for the faint of heart and I did have to fabricate a tool to torque down the backlash adjustment nuts. I have a digital service manual that could get you through it if you want to take a look. I was able to purchase all of the replacement parts from O'Reilly's.

would a 2003 diff fit my 2002 escalade ext

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
do u know if the differential is similar in 03 and would it fit also what other makes nd models could I use the front diff from
I honestly do not know. I would assume that you have to use a front differential from a 2002 AWD Yukon or Cadillac Escalade. However, the 2002 front diiferential seems the same visually to the 2003-2006 models while the 4WD models like the Tahoe may have different input splines for the driveshaft. You may have to call a few pickup truck repair shops and inquire about this issue.

Most of my knowledge on this matter will be gained from internet searching the same as what can you do yourself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
that's the scary thing that they look identical but wondering if it would affect it any way since 03. changed the tc on up

I honestly do not know. I would assume that you have to use a front differential from a 2002 AWD Yukon or Cadillac Escalade. However, the 2002 front diiferential seems the same visually to the 2003-2006 models while the 4WD models like the Tahoe may have different input splines for the driveshaft. You may have to call a few pickup truck repair shops and inquire about this issue.

Most of my knowledge on this matter will be gained from internet searching the same as what can you do yourself.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
that's the scary thing that they look identical but wondering if it would affect it any way since 03. changed the tc on up
From what I can tell, the front and rear differentials will physically fit the 2002-2006 models of Escalade and Yukon. It also seem that the newer 2003-up models can use either the the older nvp149 or the newer bw4481 transfer-case while the 2002 model can only use the older nvp149 because the newer one uses a speed sensor that the older 2002 models do not have. The nvp149 uses an internal fluid coupler so it will work on either models I suppose. However, the 2003+ models may throw a trouble code unless the transfer-case speed sensor is bypassed while using a nvp149 I assume.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts