Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Been checking around and haven’t found any reference on what colour the front cam cover is.

I blasted mine to remove spotty and bubbled original finish. Now I want to paint it something close to the original colour.

Is there a colour code, or a known paint that is ‘close’? (Like a Duplicolor, for instance.)

Is it supposed to be the same colour as the top cover?

Thanks

Bjc789

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,616 Posts

·
2004 Deville base
288 Posts
I have had good luck with a few of these, on a lot of projects. VHT is excellent, even RO is good on stuff.
May be worth a can or 2 to see 'how close' it is.

https://4wdlife.com/best-engine-paints

This is what I usually do if it is not going to 'judged' car shows, might take a couple trys, so I have inventory over the years. hahaha
Take it off, make sure it is clean, hospital clean. A light/soft brush 'final' scrub with acetone or 91%alc and blowdry.
If you can get 'LA's Awesome' cleaner/degreaser it works good @ $1 a quart at the 'dollar' type stores.

You can also take the top/intake cover off, to an 'automotive paint store/supply', and they will match it, in pints/quarts/whatever,,,even put it in a spray bomb for you. Those spray cans are a little pricy @ $20 or so. Handy as hell though on the right project. Any kind of paint lac/enamel even 2stage for a few bucks more.

I prefer that, and I have 1000's in spray equip/compressor...but no booth. So the mess, and standstill of everything else while painting I avoid. And paint/reducers/all in, is very pricey nowadays. Only big projects/full panels.:)

Good Luck!

Glad I don't have the earlier 'pretty' cover, I'd be obsessing on some 'wrinkle red' and buffed fins.:cookoo:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies.

I will try to match the top cover with whatever I can find.
Yes I heard they are magnesium also. I plan to sand down the blasted surface a little. Apply etching primer. Then a regular primer, and finally the colour coat. A spray can would be ideal, since I am backyarding it.
Same for the rear cover, except it is getting a semi-gloss black, also like factory.

Bjc789

1 - 5 of 5 Posts