Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have curious whether the new Sport model come with the SEMA/Allen bumper? Has anyone seen the Sport model at the showroom who can verify this? Thanks. Please click thumbnail to see what I mean.

BTW: The Lund is the best IMHO as it has a strong, but simple presence.

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
Haven't seen one in the showroom to know.

I really really am starting to like the eyelids on the Tim Allen Design... gives the car a more agressive look to the "eyes"

·
Registered
2013 3.6 Performance Luxury
1,038 Posts
AsAkAs said:
Haven't seen one in the showroom to know.

I really really am starting to like the eyelids on the Tim Allen Design... gives the car a more agressive look to the "eyes"
I like the TAD eyelids too - thinking about ordering the black vinyl kit mentioned by RobertCTS and doing the headlights, taillights, and third brake light.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
I still have the template for the front headlights if anyone needs a copy.
I thing carring the theme to the rear taillights look extremely well.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
i'd buy that Lund bumper...i think it's very sleek. does Lund offer the bumper for sale? or was this a special 1 time thing they did?

you know, it really pisses me off sometimes with the white diamond. i'd love to do the front and rear lids but how am i supposed to do that?? i have no idea where i'd begin, and i wouldn't be keen on painting the glass...

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
TripleOught said:
you know, it really pisses me off sometimes with the white diamond. i'd love to do the front and rear lids but how am i supposed to do that?? i have no idea where i'd begin, and i wouldn't be keen on painting the glass...
Bob used black vinal with a self-adhesive backing, something made by 3M I belive. No need to paint, and a little solvent would get any glue off if you didn't like it.

It's easy for black though, white diamond, silver (like myself) other colors are harder to match. I want to know how TAD did it with his silver CTS :)

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
The only alternative I know is to have them painted on. I guess you could paint the vinyl so you could remove it later.:hmm: I think it looks great and would paint it myself. Shouldn't cost much. I don't imagine doing the rears would be much more as the paint gun is already loaded up. Hey, why not even paint your grill too!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
ha, well hell, while i'm at it i might as well have them shoot a nice coat over the car...

with my patience and past painting abilities, do you think it's hard to mix the white diamond paint myself? i have the means to obtain a nice paint gun (or i could use a paintbrush, just kidding), but i was wondering how hard it was the mix the 3 stage paint. if you have the code does it matter? thats all they do at bump shops, right?

of course once it's mixed i'd sample an area and let it dry...

where do you get the paint you need for mixing? are we talking dealer, order, or like murrays/autozone etc...

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
robert, do you think the vinyl you have/used would be able to accept paint reasonably well?

if you have a template or something for the front i'll take it...is it just a piece of paper to trace the vinyl on?

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
TripleOught said:
robert, do you think the vinyl you have/used would be able to accept paint reasonably well?

if you have a template or something for the front i'll take it...is it just a piece of paper to trace the vinyl on?
The template is a piece of heavy paper that you trace on the paper bascking of the vinyl. Then you cut it out with an exacto knife. PM an address if you want one. I'm not sure how the vinyl would react to paint. I guess a test would be in order. I get auto paint from the local Auto Body shops. I used some DuPont paints on my Corvette parts.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
TripleOught said:
i'd buy that Lund bumper...i think it's very sleek. does Lund offer the bumper for sale? or was this a special 1 time thing they did?
I believe the Lund is one-off, but bumper restoration shops can probably make one for you as they repair these plastic bumpers.

The guys are onto something here with simply painting some vinyl as you can the have your paint shop add the additive for plastic bumpers. Since the eyelids reside on top and are separated by gaps between the hood and a black rubber gasket onto the fender, paint matching should not be that critical. If you have sign shop near you, and if someone has an Adobe Illustrator or CAD file, they can easily cut some vinyl overlays for you. Also, ask them which vinyl best suits what you are doing (I prefer 3M) as they should know (if they do commercial jobs). There are commercial grade vinyls that once you put them in place are almost impossible to remove.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
well, after talking to robert i'm going to stop at the vinyl shop near my house and see what they have available (i'm guessing a sheet of 3M).

i'll try painting it as is. i can't imagine that working too great, but you never know. then i might try the etching material robert mentioned and put a few layers over that.

luckily, if i use vinyl i can always remove it from the glass if things don't go as planned.

wonder how much the white diamond paint is going to run me...i'm scurred. ya'll with the easy colors are lucky...but damnit i'm determined to make something work.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
SoCadillac said:
I believe the Lund is one-off, but bumper restoration shops can probably make one for you as they repair these plastic bumpers.

The guys are onto something here with simply painting some vinyl as you can the have your paint shop add the additive for plastic bumpers. Since the eyelids reside on top and are separated by gaps between the hood and a black rubber gasket onto the fender, paint matching should not be that critical. If you have sign shop near you, and if someone has an Adobe Illustrator or CAD file, they can easily cut some vinyl overlays for you. Also, ask them which vinyl best suits what you are doing (I prefer 3M) as they should know whether they do commercial jobs. There are commercial grade vinyls that once you put them in place are almost impossible to remove.
The gloss vinyl is a very slippery surface. You may want to consider applying 3M Etching Primer in aerosol paint cans first. I get mine from an AutoBody store but I imagine it can be found elsewhere.

I've never tried to paint this type of vinyl before. It could shrink up like a crispy critter. I bought a 36"x 60" piece of black vinyl for $19.

·
Registered
The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option
2,432 Posts
i havent seen it, does the white diamond have some sort of rare pearlescent property? (reflects a little blue)
i'll have to look into it for you but last i checked any GM color that is made can be reproduced in vinyl, and I KNOW i have seen white that refelcts blue before.

-K

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kael said:
i havent seen it, does the white diamond have some sort of rare pearlescent property? (reflects a little blue)
i'll have to look into it for you but last i checked any GM color that is made can be reproduced in vinyl, and I KNOW i have seen white that refelcts blue before.
White Diamond is a three color, three step paint. That's why they charge more for it and it's a pain to try to match and to touchup paint chips.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
i'm not exactly sure the 3 grades that make up the white diamond, but while i'm at the vinyl shop i was going to ask them about making different colors other than, "white."
if i'm really lucky (which doesn't happen often), the location and small size of the lids won't be so dependant on exact color matching of the white. if i buy white vinyl, i may only need to apply 1 color of paint to get a similiar look. i think you should be able to input color codes into vinyl machines and have them output the vinyl sheet on the adhesive. is that so hard?

:bonkers:

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
TripleOught said:
i'm not exactly sure the 3 grades that make up the white diamond, but while i'm at the vinyl shop i was going to ask them about making different colors other than, "white."
if i'm really lucky (which doesn't happen often), the location and small size of the lids won't be so dependant on exact color matching of the white. if i buy white vinyl, i may only need to apply 1 color of paint to get a similiar look. i think you should be able to input color codes into vinyl machines and have them output the vinyl sheet on the adhesive. is that so hard?

:bonkers:
Another thought for you 3x0. If you can get a chip or swatch of the white diamond and take it to a good paint store. Most, even Lowes, have special paint light refractors that gives you the mix to match a paint. I've seen it done many times. My house has cedar shingles stained dark green. The Manufacturer went out of business but my paint store matched the color perfectly.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
1,640 Posts
I'm pretty certain the new sport package has the same front bumper as the regular cts. However the rocker panels and rear bumper are different.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts