Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really frustrated with my 98 Deville Concours front brakes. I have replaced the pads twice [most recently with the nearest to factory type from Auto Zone], the rotors once, but still get a grinding sound and feel when they warm up real good. This is obviously worse in the hot summer months.

Any ideas on which type/brand of pads would eliminate this issue? Any other problems I haven't thought about?

Thanks

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
yeah factory AC Delco parts. Unless you're going to do a serious performance upgrade to the brakes then OEM is the best. If there's one thing we don't buy from AutoZone it's brakes. Well lots of other things too but brakes are on the top of the list.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
I am really frustrated with my 98 Deville Concours front brakes. I have replaced the pads twice [most recently with the nearest to factory type from Auto Zone], the rotors once, but still get a grinding sound and feel when they warm up real good. This is obviously worse in the hot summer months.

Any ideas on which type/brand of pads would eliminate this issue? Any other problems I haven't thought about?

Thanks
Is it a squealing or grinding? I can't imagine any new pads causing a true grinding sound. Squealing however can be caused by pads vibrating in the calipers. Have you tried using any brake pad anti-vibration material?

This is a stretch but one time I had to grind the ends of some new pads because they fit too tightly in the calipers and wouldn't move correctly causing much noise - especially when they warmed up and expanded.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's definitely grinding. It almost sounds like metal on metal even though the pads are relatively new. I will try the AC Delco and see what happens. Thanks to all...

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
It's your money but another new set of pads isn't going to fix what a different brand wouldn't. Pads don't cause grinding noises unless they are worn clean thru or you installed them backwards (metal back facing rotor) :)

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
I agree. New pads aren't going to resolve another mechanical problem BUT he said that he keeps having to replace the pads and rotors. I went through that crap. He also states that heat is a factor.

If you put new GM pads and rotors on the car and they grind then take it to a shop right away so you don't ruin the new pads.

I have had nothing but bad luck with anything other than GM rotors. Not so much on the pads but the rotors are important and going back to OEM will resolve a lot of PIA issues.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,080 Posts
A grinding noise from disc brakes is almost surely from some sort of metal-to-metal contact. Something's not right. Is it possible that some part of the caliper or pad backing is rubbing on the inside of the wheel?

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,970 Posts
More and more you see half assed brake jobs where the rotors are not resurfaced. Back in the day we refinished the rotors by grinding and went for super finishes. All it takes to screw up a brake job is finger prints on the rotors and pads. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
94 Concours
63 Posts
Hey all. To pin point the problem, it's the slider pins hanging up, not being removed, rubber tubes cleaned and pins reinstalled with the correct caliper lube-not grease. The calipers float.

On my '94 Con the rear brakes were redone twice last summer by two different Cad dealers as the previous owner had the service tickets. I just redid the rears last week the pins were rusted [had to beat one out] and certainly could not slide. Pads and rotors again-this time my way.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Good job. Glad you found the issue and it was easy and cheap to fix. I still say use GM parts though.

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
A good brake shop would check the pins but the average place doesn't think about them. I had to replace both rear floating caliper brackets and the pins kits on my TurboCoupe before.
I'm glad you didn't throw more money at pads! :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts