Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys! I somehow got volunteered to replace the (beyond ailing) front brakes on my new "girlfriends" 1986 cadillac Sedan Deville. I do not have access to the book or anything on this, its at her house and she's at work.

Anyhow, she refuses to make it easy on me by bringing her car to my house. I have to GO to HER house to do it, which means loading my truck up with a floorjack, jackstands, and all the tools I think I'll need for the job.

Well, I have no clue what I will need so I'm asking your help. She already has the pads, and I know I'll need some brake cleaner, some grease, and some brake fluid. I've done the brakes on a few cars and trucks here and there.

My question is this: What size is the bleeder valve? Also, do I need a special tool for removing the calipers? On my GM truck, they require a special HEX socket for the calipers. Does the Caddy have the same requirement? IT is GM afterall, isn't it? :D

Also, Are the calipers the type where I can just jam them open with a big C-clamp, or are they like the ones on my 300zx where they have to be TURNED in?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me, I tried searching but found nothing. If you ever need help for an Astro or Safari van, me and the boys over at www.astrosafari.com will be more than happy to help!!!

TIA

Jesse

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I guess nobody had this information, but for those of you who follow things things and are interested in how they turn out, here is a quick update.

I got her to bring her car to MY place where I have many tools at my disposal. That made it so much easier.

I found that the calipers do NOT use the standard GM hex type bolt but rather a Torx T-50 sized bolt. I went to Autozone and picked up some break fluid, a haynes for the car (which DID say what size the torx head was, but only that it was indeed a torx head LOL), and a few sizes of torx sockets.

The calipers are the normal kind where you can C-clamp them back in.

Oh, and I used a 10mm on the bleeder valve, because it fit. Maybe it is an SAE part but the 10mm was handy and it worked fine.

Everything went smooth, I even flushed the lines with fresh fluid. Its amazing what new fluid and pads will do, the car will actually STOP now!

Next, on to the air-ride system, I will post a new thread for that. Thanks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts