Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2K ELDO WHITE DIAM , 2K TURBO BUG ,69 VETTE ZZ4 2014 CTS
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just blew out the passenger side steel brake line on the way to work this morning . Has any one repaired this that can give me some insight to any problems I might encounter . It doesn't look like a horrible job but I am sure that a possible nightmare exists somewhere . TX. for any help !

----------

Oh Ya forgot 2k Eldo ESC .

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, dam Chicago winters .

----------

It rusted out to a point where it was to weak to hold the pressure .

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts
yes, dam Chicago winters .

----------

It rusted out to a point where it was to weak to hold the pressure .
--------------------------
two choices -
replace the entire rusted line -
or -
cut out the rusted section -
and replace it -

if you decide to splice it -
DO NOT USE COMPRESSION FITTINGS -

------------------------

inspect ALL the other lines -
pay particular attention to the areas around the plastic hangers -
they tend to hold dirt and moisture -

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had to replace rear brake lines last year. So I'm not really surprised by this. I'm going to replace the whole line it might be easier and safer in the long run.

·
19,270 Posts
I had to replace rear brake lines last year. So I'm not really surprised by this. I'm going to replace the whole line it might be easier and safer in the long run.
==========================
I'm going to replace the whole line it might be easier and safer in the long run
I agree - :yup:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
==========================
I'm going to replace the whole line it might be easier and safer in the long run
I agree - :yup:
Upon further inspection turns out rust did not cause problem, in fact the line is in suprisingly good condition. Looks like ice or snow got in or on or forced under brake line , which runs under harmonic balancer and pushed line up in to balancer which gradually wore a hole in it. So I spliced it in ,making new line and rerouting away from balancer. The guy at O Relieys auto tried to sell me compression fittings , and i told him he was nuts, he said thats all they have and he uses them all the time! Never had a problem Yet !!! YIKES. Scarry this guy said he was certifed mechanic.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
I was the recipient of one of those genius "mechanics" work about 15 yrs ago when the compression fitting blew in the 64 truck as I was driving. Nothing like 4 wheel manual drums on a single cylinder MC and losing a line... I found 2 more of his "fixes". I have seen more than a few counter guys sell them for brake line fixes.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was the recipient of one of those genius "mechanics" work about 15 yrs ago when the compression fitting blew in the 64 truck as I was driving. Nothing like 4 wheel manual drums on a single cylinder MC and losing a line... I found 2 more of his "fixes". I have seen more than a few counter guys sell them for brake line fixes.
Quick question ,Will i need bleed the entire system, or can i just bleed the fronts?

·
19,270 Posts
Quick question ,Will i need bleed the entire system, or can i just bleed the fronts?
=====================
the best answer is MAYBE -

but without a service history -
now sounds like a great time to flush the brake fluid -

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
I'd say you should be able to just do the fronts, but like Bass said, if it's never been done, it's overdue for a fluid replacement.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just did it last year, when I replaced the rear lines !

·
Registered
Too many...
878 Posts
You can absolutely skip bleeding rear lines, they are totally separate circuits. Though a periodic fluid flush is always a good thing so long as your bleeders work correctly.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
YUP, that would surely qualify as not working!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts