Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Seville STS 2001, Eldorado 1997
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently got all 4 new tires from Walmart. They told me that car needs front alignment. I checked with string method that car has Toe In about about quarter of an inch (difference between string and rear of front driver side tire and front of front. It might have happened since I changed wheel hub bearing on driver side. Typically a tie rod has a locking nut where inner tie rod screws in the front piece. In my car, I don't see any locking nut over the inner/outer piece. There is nut shape on the end piece where inner and end pieces are tied. But this is not a separate locking nut. It is part of end piece.

Is it normal not to have a locking nut. Both driver and passenger sides don't have locking nuts. So to align, do I just need to hold end tie rod and tight the inner tie rod clockwise for correcting the 3/16 inches toe in issue. Any comments please

Thanks
John

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,005 Posts
I have recently got all 4 new tires from Walmart. They told me that car needs front alignment. I checked with string method that car has Toe In about about quarter of an inch (difference between string and rear of front driver side tire and front of front. It might have happened since I changed wheel hub bearing on driver side. Typically a tie rod has a locking nut where inner tie rod screws in the front piece. In my car, I don't see any locking nut over the inner/outer piece. There is nut shape on the end piece where inner and end pieces are tied. But this is not a separate locking nut. It is part of end piece.

Is it normal not to have a locking nut. Both driver and passenger sides don't have locking nuts. So to align, do I just need to hold end tie rod and tight the inner tie rod clockwise for correcting the 3/16 inches toe in issue. Any comments please

Thanks
John
=====================
are you actually going to use a string to set the alignment?

do you know what the alignment specs are for this car?

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
String method not really a good idea except for getting im ballpark to drive for alignment. Old cars were a lot simplier, all 4 wheels need to be done now also.

·
Registered
Seville STS 2001, Eldorado 1997
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Using string method. I am planning to do front alignment only. Since I changed hub bearing assembly, there is about 1/4 inch toe in on driver side. I am planning to correct it 3/16 by turning the inner tie rod about 3/4 turn clockwise and recheck.

Thanks
john

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Changing a hub assembly shouldn't effect alignment at all.

Adjustment is made at the outer tie rod end.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,005 Posts
Using string method. I am planning to do front alignment only. Since I changed hub bearing assembly, there is about 1/4 inch toe in on driver side. I am planning to correct it 3/16 by turning the inner tie rod about 3/4 turn clockwise and recheck.

Thanks
john
===============
I am planning to correct it 3/16 by turning the inner tie rod about 3/4 turn
ah - you MIGHT what to do a LITTLE more research
on how to do alignments -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,416 Posts
.............. and those tie rod ends and their proper alignment is what determines steering wheel centering - get it wrong and the car drives pretty straight - but with the steering wheel "cocked".

After all the diddling around, the chances are great that the toe-in is out of whack. I advise taking the car to a nearby, competent alignment shop and spend the bucks on a good 4-point alignment. The car will NOT be right until you do.

.......... and toe-in is only one of of about eight "alignment" adjustments possible - and needing to be checked - on our cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts