Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
BLS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i'm from Italy and my english it's not perfect...

I've a Cadillac BLS wagon (estate) 1.9 tdi 150cv(hp)

Before presenting my car I would post some pictures of a change that I made recently to install a tablet in the car

I started with the idea of installing a tablet in the car and studying a bit the conformation of my dashboard, I finally decided to install it sacrificing two air vents and the clock ... but I believe it is worth it.

Post photos of the various stages of processing ..

I decided to get me a piece d'occasion not to ruin the original ...

the piece that I've got is this, obviously without radio:

Layer of paper tape to make the bottom of the fiberglass:

First layer of putty:

Started to smooth the putty:

... then when finished with putty and smoothing it came time to paint (but with hindsight I would have expected, unfortunately or fortunately at that time I had not yet clear ideas ...)

Then indecision about how to "fix" / install the tablet, taken by a thousand ideas and a moment of schizophrenia, took two steps and cut .... how if cut ...

at this point I had to get help for finishing by a coachbuilder

What do you think ???

(sorry if some words are not understandable, but in some cases I had to help me in the translation with google translate ...)

·
Registered
BLS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some photos of my BLS

it's a "business" with additional package that includes leather seats and navigation system (Bose)

·
Registered
BLS Elegance 1.9D Wagon
54 Posts
That looks great. Perhaps it would be better with a black tablet - I have a Nexus 7 and would love to do something like this so I can use Spotify and a proper SatNav with postcodes, but I never get past the thinking about it stage. Do you use it as a SatNav? If so, do you get a good enough GPS signal?

I presume that you added a USB charger to provide power and you connect it to the hi fi with 3.5mm stereo plug?

Your words and plenty understandable. Better than my Italian!

Regards,
AJP

·
Registered
BLSd 150hp 2009
284 Posts
Wow! Excellent work and a very big welcome to a forum with a very small following. Sadly, not many contributors these days, but there's still a few of us about who try to help out.

Clearly you have a need for such a modification and judging from the pictures, you've done a great job. I'd recommend if you have the funds, get yourself a really decent up to date double din satnav unit to replace the Saab standard fit Nav. It was good back in 2008 when they put it in the car, but sadly without any disc update support, it's pretty useless these days. I never use the satnav as a satnav, I always use my TomTom, regular updates, live traffic information, much better. I keep meaning to replace the factory fit satnav, but never get round to it.

Anyway, welcome!

·
Registered
BLS Elegance 1.9D Wagon
54 Posts
The trouble with replacing the original Sat Nav is that I assume we would also lose the Bose surround sound, amplifier, subwoofer, etc. We would also lose the voice control. Bose speakers usually have non-standard impedances and therefore they might have to be replaced at the same time.

So, like EXRP01 I sometimes use a separate Tom Tom from my other car. However, I have still used the built-in Sat Nav for unplanned journeys. I have a separate DAB radio connected to the AUX socket to add extra functionality to the original unit. Shame it doesn't have USB, so I have to burn CDs to play MP3s and most of the time I just don't get around to burning new CDs.

Cheers,
AJP

·
Registered
BLSd 150hp 2009
284 Posts
If you go for an aftermarket satnav media centre fitted properly by an audio shop, you shouldn't lose any of the other functionality you mention. I believe plenty of Saab 9-3 owners have had their identical factory satnavs removed and a bang up to date unit installed and seeing as just about everything but the bodywork is the same as the 9-3, I can't see it being a problem.

·
Registered
BLS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That looks great. Perhaps it would be better with a black tablet - I have a Nexus 7 and would love to do something like this so I can use Spotify and a proper SatNav with postcodes, but I never get past the thinking about it stage. Do you use it as a SatNav? If so, do you get a good enough GPS signal?

I presume that you added a USB charger to provide power and you connect it to the hi fi with 3.5mm stereo plug?

Your words and plenty understandable. Better than my Italian!

Regards,
AJP

sure, the black tablet is coming!
I connected with plug usb cigarette lighter and the audio is connected via bluetooth speakerphone parrot that supports 2 devices and feels really good
for now I use the original navi, in my area that seems more efficient

----------

Wow! Excellent work and a very big welcome to a forum with a very small following. Sadly, not many contributors these days, but there's still a few of us about who try to help out.

Clearly you have a need for such a modification and judging from the pictures, you've done a great job. I'd recommend if you have the funds, get yourself a really decent up to date double din satnav unit to replace the Saab standard fit Nav. It was good back in 2008 when they put it in the car, but sadly without any disc update support, it's pretty useless these days. I never use the satnav as a satnav, I always use my TomTom, regular updates, live traffic information, much better. I keep meaning to replace the factory fit satnav, but never get round to it.

Anyway, welcome!
Thanks for the welcome!
Anyway, as I said, in my part, for now, the navigator saab performs well and does not feel the need to change it ... but I have to say that the car I bought it new in KM 0 last July and despite being a model dated, I have provided the disks of the updated navi, I can not remember when but certainly updated to after 2012

----------

If you go for an aftermarket satnav media centre fitted properly by an audio shop, you shouldn't lose any of the other functionality you mention. I believe plenty of Saab 9-3 owners have had their identical factory satnavs removed and a bang up to date unit installed and seeing as just about everything but the bodywork is the same as the 9-3, I can't see it being a problem.
exact, usually there is no problem to replace the unit with an aftermarket set the limit just use some adapter for the steering wheel controls and voice and certainly there should be no problems for the BOSE sound system

----------

the next step that I will do with my BLS will be to replace the original alloy wheels 16 "with other 18" ... I bought these in the UK through ebay ...

Do you like?

·
Registered
BLS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here post some pics of screens of the tablet while the text apps that can interface with diagnostic socket OBDII

like a nissan GT-R :)

...other app...

...watching a film...

:) :) :)

·
Registered
BLS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today I tried the navi of the tablet and I must say it was perfect, I have not encountered problems with GPS and even the wrong road on purpose, recalculations of the paths were immediate ....
I use app called "Navigator" , you can use the maps offline or decide to use the tomtom specific for the app...

For listen music use app collaed "Dub"

for video the original video player ....

Maybe you have some other app to suggest?

TKS! ;)

·
Registered
BLS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm back here, other news came in part and in part coming regard my BLS ....

Having had some "problems" with FAP: roar:: roar:: roar: (**** what the invented ....), I did replace the original seal of EGR, this picture
, with a more " closed ", this picture
, which is also used by the FIAT now FCA as official change of these engines 1.9 TDI mounted on his car ....

The difference I heard, especially the self-regeneration of FAP I lasted a bit 'more ..... but I decided to remove the FAP (DPF), close the EGR valve via the control unit and, since there are, I did do a mapping to have about 20% more power ...

. and I must say that in addition to get better, fuel consumption has been reduced ..

some photos of the "hollowing out" of the FAP (DPF)

----------

as I always say, my English is not perfect and in some cases are forced to use a translator, so I hope it is always quite understandable what I write ... :)

----------

even a small upgrade ... lighting compartment under the radio

but maybe here, although a little '"move" is best seen the light intensity

lights up when you turn on the headlights

·
Registered
BLS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am here with other work on the BLS ... I bought 4 of Lowtec lowering springs -30mm
and I mounted, yet I did not look photos because they fit well to the car, then I'm going to mount two spacers on the wheels behind.
Some of you have them installed? you have any suggestions about that? Thanks ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts