1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...now I just have a few years of restorations to do:

1970 Grand Prix Model J

1.) A/C (controls and blower motor at minimum)
2.) Interior
3.) Body
4.) Paint

"Hoping"...I can get it all done for less than $10K...luckily not much mechanical work to do.

The bulk of the hood struts crack me up...

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 6 (Venus) 1964 Impala (Betty) 1991 Miata (Dolly)
14,333 Posts
Damn, that's a sharp car, even in it's un-restored state. Pontiac was red hot during the 60s which so many bold, distinctive designs and the performance to back it up. It's really a shame Pontiac wasted away its legacy so much that even the excellent G8 couldn't rescue the brand.

What engine is in your Grand Prix? 400? 455? Even if it sucks gas like a B-52, who cares?

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks --

I'm almost positive it's the 400. I know it's the 4-B carb, which required the 400 or 455. I think the 455 was only available on the SJ.

It's fast even now after sitting for 15 yrs, but the ETC would blow it away. It's filthy in these pictures, and the interior is a wreck. The exterior is a good maybe 30 footer. It's the 2nd paint job, but original color. The rust has just bubbled up parts of the paint. It would look better if washed, but the interior is terrible except for the dash. I lucked out there...

A lot of the parts can be gotten as reproductions, so hopefully it will be doable w/o a lot of searching.

D

·
0 Posts
I LOVE that car! Those year GP's were the best IMO. Buddy had a similar one with a 428 and I wanted one ever since. Just plain cool! Good luck with it.

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I LOVE that car! Those year GP's were the best IMO. Buddy had a similar one with a 428 and I wanted one ever since. Just plain cool! Good luck with it.

Thanks -- I took my driving test in that car. (And passed parallel parking :)

Dad didn't want it anymore and it hadn't been driven since the early '90s. It does tend to leak a little trans fluid. Hopefully Lucas will fix that up. Worst mechanical problem now is the lack of blower motor and hence A/C...

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh...and once it is finally restored -- I have to get the LOUD ASS mufflers replaced that the burnout Midas guy talked me into when I was in high school.

"Duuude...those will sound awesome man!"

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
Nice Grand Prix!! I really miss the personal luxury coupe(aka pimp-mobile) era, these cars were so overwraught, humongous, and over the top. Wish we still had cars like the Lincoln Mark's, boat tail Riverias, Eldorados, Coupe Devilles, Imperial LeBarons, Toranodos, etc.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 6 (Venus) 1964 Impala (Betty) 1991 Miata (Dolly)
14,333 Posts
The bulk of the hood struts crack me up...
No surprise given the six-foot-long hood. Betty's hood hinges are huge, too.

:yeah:

Thanks -- I took my driving test in that car. (And passed parallel parking :)
I took my driver's test in the '64 Impala I grew up with an learned to drive in. Parallel parked her perfectly the first time.

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
No surprise given the six-foot-long hood. Betty's hood hinges are huge, too.

:yeah:

I took my driver's test in the '64 Impala I grew up with an learned to drive in. Parallel parked her perfectly the first time.

I love parking huge ass cars, I kind of see it as a rewarding challenge.

To the OP: If you have to do a rebuild on the engine, do a hi-po build on it. It would be fun to see that big ass car click off a 13 second quarter mile.

·
Registered
Tis Gone :(
3,414 Posts
Man I miss my 75 (my frst car). I need to dig around in pics at my moms to find some of it.

I would guess its a 400 with a Quadrajet Carb

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Nice! That seems to be in really good shape, sounds like a fun project :)

My father still has his '74 Grand Prix, the only car he ever bought brand new. It needs total resteration as it has been sitting outside for over 20yrs now. It's a triple green that he said was really sharp when new.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Sweeet ride! One of my favorite vintage Pontiacs! If I'm not mistaken, that had the longest hood on any car in 1970, but it might have been the Mark III, I don't remember.

Man, seeing those pictures really makes me respect the Pontiac of the '60s. I love how yours has those super deep gauges, bucket seats, console and floor shift, and those PMD decals on the wheels are just like the ones my uncle had on his '70 GTO.

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
REPAIR #1: (Probable) Water Pump (will find out tomorrow)

Leave gym to find a slick of antifreeze running through the parking lot -- mine of course. The whole calling AAA, waiting for flatbed, dropping at dealer, and picking up ETC takes about an hour and a half...

Not how I planned on spending the evening...(!)

BTW, I love that car chase, and that Grand Ville was a tank -- but that guy in it CREEPS me out...

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sweeet ride! One of my favorite vintage Pontiacs! If I'm not mistaken, that had the longest hood on any car in 1970, but it might have been the Mark III, I don't remember.

Man, seeing those pictures really makes me respect the Pontiac of the '60s. I love how yours has those super deep gauges, bucket seats, console and floor shift, and those PMD decals on the wheels are just like the ones my uncle had on his '70 GTO.

I used to drive it all the time, and never knew any different -- but not having a center arm rest is literally a pain in the neck. Of course, I don't drive it very far and long, so I can tough it out. (Or buy a granny pillow to put between the seats...)

Apparently the PMD caps were much more desirable than the Pontiac emblem caps. A guy that worked at a hub cap store when we were kids always tried to buy them off of me...

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
That's absolutely awesome man, congrats :highfive:

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Nice Grand Prix!! I really miss the personal luxury coupe(aka pimp-mobile) era, these cars were so overwraught, humongous, and over the top. Wish we still had cars like the Lincoln Mark's, boat tail Riverias, Eldorados, Coupe Devilles, Imperial LeBarons, Toranodos, etc.

If anyone made one now (other than the 100 grand M-B CL), I'd buy it... I have a pretty good track record w/them:

'70 GP
'77 GP
'83 GP
(Mom and Dad had an '83 Toro, but I never drove it very much -- it was sweet though...)
'92 Toro
'99 GP
'97 Riv
'00 Eldo

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
CORRECTION to REPAIR #1: Radiator hose -- not water pump. And supposedly, the rest of the belts and hoses are fine...(we'll see...)

One of the parts guys at the dealer pulled me aside and said that he has a 390 BHP H.O. 428 w/matching numbers trans (from a '69)... He's not asking that much, but I have no way to know what kind of shape they're truly in. I've got the space to store it, and I'm admittedly tempted...

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Yeah, the absence of the American "personal Luxury coupe" from the marketplace for so many years has really left a void. The only options we have had have been extraordinarily over priced European models. I quess Detroit thought it was more profitable selling SUVs to mimser mamas, than trying to exploit this nitch which they had done quite well in the 1970's, leaving us guys and hip young women (they really liked those CLKs) to fend for ourselves.

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Never was a big fan of the CLK...however, the new E class coupe they're launching does look better.

At least it doesn't look like some clone of the Infiniti G coupe (a la CTS coupe)...

The new Lincoln MKS would make a nice looking coupe.....make it a MK9....

1 - 20 of 51 Posts