Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My keen ear (at least for certain frequencies) has noted that my rear suspension compressor has been cycling more frequently lately. I installed a ~$830.00 a few years ago and don't want to burn through this one, so tonight I went looking. Soapy water in hand, I found my right rear shock is leaking. Of course not where I'd expect (air line connector, bladder, etc). The leak is around the underside of the upper mounting plate. Perhaps this was a weak point for these. ACDelco has changed up the part number from 580-348 to 580-1039 so they may be a slightly different shock. The new number is specified for FE3, F55, A8Y (code on the shock), just like the original.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's nothing wrong with a good party now and then. I just wish the price for admission to this one wasn't so high! I've ordered the new part and should have it mid-week.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a picture, in case anyone else is looking for the leak both Luda and I had...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Here's a picture, in case anyone else is looking for the leak both Luda and I had...

Interesting, thanks. No chance of removing the shock and using a scotchbrite wheel to see if the leak is a pinhole of rust that could be repaired? I haven't looked at this to see how difficult or not removal is, it was a piece of cake on my LeSabre and the shocks were so inexpensive that I just replaced both when one started leaking.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a good idea. Once I have it out I'm going to look at that as an option. I'd end up keeping it on the shelf as a spare though. I've got so much maintenance in progress between my various cars this year that I just wanted to make sure the part was on the way and I can check one more item off the list. Once I park the STS for the winter, I can spend a little more time to investigate a potential repair.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Makes me wonder if the one I have laying around in the shed is the one I pulled from the car that was leaking there or if i have the one from the driver side that leaked fluid out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts