Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Tis Gone :(
3,414 Posts
Pretty cool but not nearly as bad as some derailments I have seen while working for UP. An Autorack train in Wyoming sent hundreds of Chryslers flying HUNDREDS of yards off the tracks when it derailed at 70 mph.

The worst I have personally seen the remnants of is a train that hit a 18 wheeler carrying sheets of steel plate. The engine was sent cartwheeling about 150 feet from the tracks. 18,000 tons, 10,000' long moving at 60mph makes for a VERY big mess.

·
Registered
1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t
3,013 Posts
Pretty cool but not nearly as bad as some derailments I have seen while working for UP. An Autorack train in Wyoming sent hundreds of Chryslers flying HUNDREDS of yards off the tracks when it derailed at 70 mph.

The worst I have personally seen the remnants of is a train that hit a 18 wheeler carrying sheets of steel plate. The engine was sent cartwheeling about 150 feet from the tracks. 18,000 tons, 10,000' long moving at 60mph makes for a VERY big mess.
Maybe you know,is it normal to make a visual tape record of fuel cars?.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
No idea why they would be taping this. Engines have black boxes that record all of the engineers controls but not video.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts

Well, atleast it was only Chryslers.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
At the North Platte Yard in Nebaska we were riding with the Superintendant when he takes up around a turn and says "This is why you dont hump autoracks at over 4mph" and in front of us sits 7 Lexus LS400's in a pile. All automobiles in a derailment or anything out of the ordinary are pronmptly destroyed on the spot. Fluids drained and ran over by bulldozers. No parts removed to avoid any liability.

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
Wow that's cool!!

·
Registered
None yet!
1,025 Posts
I seriously wonder if he'd have faired any better had he sped up. Not sure if it was possible, but the sheer amount of force in a freight train traveling quickly is quite impressive, and it will want to continue going that direction. That said, it didn't look like a very bad derailment.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I seriously wonder if he'd have faired any better had he sped up. Not sure if it was possible, but the sheer amount of force in a freight train traveling quickly is quite impressive, and it will want to continue going that direction. That said, it didn't look like a very bad derailment.
It appears that the tornado hit the middle of the train if the camera is in fact on the engine. All it takes to engage the emergency braking system on a train is 1 car to come uncoupled and the brakes on every other car on the train get set. The brakes of a train are kept OFF by air pressure in a line that runs the entire length. Once that pressure is lost the brakes set everywhere and can not be reset until the break is found and recoupled by the conductor by hand. The only way to prevent it is to "cut and run", closing off the air valve behind the engine, uncoupling, leaving the cars behind and taking off.

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
That was friggin sweet. My Dad went on an Amtrak trip to Texas a few weeks ago and the train had to stop in a town because there was a tornado about 6 miles ahead of them. He said he was looking out the window listening to the sirens and waiting for the lights in the town to go out.

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
rofl

·
Registered
34,087 Posts
At the North Platte Yard in Nebaska we were riding with the Superintendant when he takes up around a turn and says "This is why you dont hump autoracks at over 4mph" and in front of us sits 7 Lexus LS400's in a pile. All automobiles in a derailment or anything out of the ordinary are pronmptly destroyed on the spot. Fluids drained and ran over by bulldozers. No parts removed to avoid any liability.
I read an article like that in a Car and Driver a while back. There was this cargo ship from Japan to the US, filled with new Mazdas, and it hit a storm and capsized. It was towed to Washington state and once unloaded, all of the cars were crushed on the spot so none of the parts could ever be reused, avoiding all liabilities.

There was a thread on here about it a while ago.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts