Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2010 cts 3.6
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Its coming up at the end of next month...Had my CTS for almost a year...
Its been a great car,absolutely love it except for the front seats. Well that's another story. Anyway of course Onstar wants me to keep the subscription at almost 30 bucks a month. I know you can get "deal" if you agree to a 1 or 2 year, but I was wondering if anyone has gotten a better deal somehow.
I like having the full package but of course don't want to pay for It :)
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
08 CTS RWD with all options
178 Posts
In my opinion Onstar is just an extra insurance that you don't need. Your car Warranty, your cell phone and the GPS will cover 99.9% of Onstar service.

·
Registered
2018 CTS 3.6 Premium Luxury
534 Posts
In my opinion Onstar is just an extra insurance that you don't need. Your car Warranty, your cell phone and the GPS will cover 99.9% of Onstar service.
The credit our car insurance company gives us almost pays for the OnStar subscription. If we're in an accident and the air bags deploy, I don't want to rely on my cell phone. And if the car is stolen, it will be nice to be able to tell the police where it is. For me, these things are alot more than 0.01% that you suggest isn't covered by Onstar. Just MHO.

·
Registered
CTS Coupe Performance Stick
1,013 Posts
I agree with PJL if your not budget restricted. Plus for my wife's car (which also has OnStar), I want her to be able to just hit a button if someone hassles her.

·
Registered
NONE
6 Posts
For the Canadians out there, if you press option 4$ to cancel they offer $189 CDN plus taxes for safe & sound. About 225$ all in, she had to check with a supervisor but was able to do the deal for both of my cars. Its around $100 of the list price in Canada -- and about 20$ less than last year when I asked for a lower price on renewal.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS DI FE3 PDQ Crystal Red/Ebony
1,008 Posts
the service of onStar is getting worse (although still acceptable). ridiculous wait time compare to a couple years ago. Incompetent and impolite staffs. Not that they are rude, but they just aren't as good as those I talked to before with sweet voices haha. Incompetency is a problem. If they are opening up the service to non-GM cars.. I foresee the problems will get worse.

·
Registered
08 CTS4 DI Hot Lava Edition PDZ AWD FE2
402 Posts
It's very expensive - while you might get the promo 100min. for 14.99 or .15/min/ it is up to .40/min. to add another 100min. and if you spring for the 1000 min. plan it is still .30/min.

·
Registered
2011 CTS AWD 3.6
69 Posts
I bought the 100 min for $15 that are good for one year. Since the car has bluetooth and it is rare that the driver doesn't have a cell phone, I don't know that we'll use them. But figured it might be worthwhile if we ever forget a phone or had some other emergency.

So far, it has resulted in 3 calls coming in from a collection agency looking for whoever had the number before it was assigned to me.

·
Registered
2018 CTS 3.6 Premium Luxury
534 Posts
I bought the 100 min for $15 that are good for one year. Since the car has bluetooth and it is rare that the driver doesn't have a cell phone, I don't know that we'll use them. But figured it might be worthwhile if we ever forget a phone or had some other emergency.

So far, it has resulted in 3 calls coming in from a collection agency looking for whoever had the number before it was assigned to me.
Just before your minutes expire, call Onstar and ask them to extend the period for another year. Be persistent -- they will extend.

·
Registered
CTS Coupe Performance Stick
1,013 Posts
I just signed up with OnStar & bought 300 minutes good for one year. Paid either 10 bucks or 30 (don't recall...aging is a pain.... LOL!). Thought it was worth a try.

I understand, after the promotional period, it would be pricey on a per minute basis. Cell phone plan would be cheaper. But we use cells so seldom I don't know if the cost penalty would be that great in absolute dollars. In fact it could be cheaper on an annual basis because I pay $40 per month ($480
annually) now. But use very few of the minutes allocated to me. I could pay OnStar 300 bucks for 1000 minutes & still be ahead 180 bucks a year.

Setting aside dollars for a moment, the question is: what is the quality of the service?

I used it a couple times Sunday & liked it. Voice recognition for hands free worked fine and voices were quite clear. GPS based is a bene. We spend a fair amount of time on NorCali coast where non-GPS cell service is very "spotty".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts