Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your like me, and are on a VERY tight buget but still have the need for speed, iam sure you'd love some free HP. i still got a front end to fix :banghead:
And since my throttle idea was a bust, i've been thinking about other free, or VERY cheap mods to get more power. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
iam gona go get some new spark plugs tomarrow, whats the best ones? oh and i dont have my manual, so what do i gap them at?

·
Registered
16,105 Posts
Actually he thought that platinum would be a better conductor, I don't just buy a product because of the advertisements for it, I buy it from my personal experience, but yea, I would try the Denso's, but I will wait until they are proven a little more in history.

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Ralph said:
Actually he thought that platinum would be a better conductor, I don't just buy a product because of the advertisements for it, I buy it from my personal experience, but yea, I would try the Denso's, but I will wait until they are proven a little more in history.
I know this is reviving an old thread, but....

On the Platinum vs Iridium vs std plugs debate, some comments.

1. I have run a few sets of Bosch Platinums. I have had reliability problems with the platinum wire "dissappearing" from the insulator. No way to know if it fell out and got munched, or burned up. (91 Bonneville 3800, 1 wicked iginition system from the factory....)

2. Champions, suck. I have used 2 sets in my lifetime, and both had 1 plug out 8 fail. Flat out no conductivity anymore. Dead plug. Forget em.

3. Autolite and AC Delco are the only plugs used in serious turbocharger applications. Why? Durability. They can stand up to boost and survive. Problems with them? None. Typically last 50K miles on std plugs.

What I like about the BPlats and Iridiums, fine wire concept. It has a small area, so when the high voltage builds up, there is a much higher potential for spark under harsh conditions. So under heavy load and low rpm, the potential for missfires is less. Thereby more power and lower emissions.

Personally, I stay with the AC Delco or Autolites, as reliability is excellent. The best being the Autolight double platinums. My 1996 Suburban with 191K miles just got the FACTORY spark plugs removed. Best I can tell, they were rough, but alive. Autolite went in to replace. Runs better, smoother, and mileage is up a little.

So, that is my humble opinion.

Iritidiums if they can survive would be a good plug..... Bosch Plus 2's have a lot of potential too. I like side gapping my plugs in my 80 T/A.....

Tom

·
Registered
548 Posts
Katshot said:
Platinum is old news guys. It lasts awhile but isn't a very good conductor. Iridium is the latest "hot-ticket". It'll outlast AND out-perform platinum by far. The only manufacturer I know that makes them is Denso. Check it out here:
http://www.denso.co.jp/PLUG/iridium-e/
i think that i found a site on the ac-delco webpage that said that they are either coming out with or already have iridium plugs for most applications.found it http://www.acdelco.com/html/pi_plugs_irid_main.htm

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
i run an MSD ignition with ac-delco rapid fire plugs. i wonder if the iridiums will be better for the ignition?

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
I aquired my first Cadi just last month, '89 Sedan Deville, 75,000 miles, 4.5 TBI, etc. I drove it before I bought it from my friend and almost passed on it. I tuned it prior to buying and was very pleased with the results. Before the tune-up I would have run my '96 Ford Aerostar 4.0 V6 against it and would probably have won. After the tune, the Cadi purrs and gets out of it's own way at least. For plugs I used your basic Autolites, #605 at .060 gap. I wonder if I would see an improvement with platnum plugs? I can tell you that I have since replaced the air filter with a K&N hoping for improved performance and mileage, but have yet to see a noticeable difference. I suspect I would have to open up the exhaust a bit to allow better breathing. 'Twice-pipes' with a nice low throaty rumble would certainly sound good at least!
ANYway! A good clean tune-up is un-doubtably the place to start. After that, I am open to suggestions as well.
Thanks,
Kev

·
Registered
7,534 Posts
Anyone take a look at the Bosch Platinum Plus 2's? Forget the Plus 4's, the shroud the spark too much, but the Plus 2's look to be the best compared to side gapping (which is about best you can do for spark exposure to the fuel).

Tom

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
i stay with ac-delco rapid fire plugs. when i had bosch +4's, throttle response was sluggish. i took them back for being unsatisfied. no problems.

i have been thinking to switching to iradiums because of my ignition setup, but im not too sure if it is worth the cash.

·
Registered
397 Posts
If i'm not mistaken, NGK makes an Iridium plug, however I removed my NGK G-Power's in favor of Platinum +4's. The NGK's were burnt to shit after a year of service.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
15 Participants
BeelzeBob