Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,802 Posts
You'll have to talk that over with your dealer. Every dealer has their incentives and free oil changes maybe one of them. Only one dealer provides that around my area. Even then, it was for regular dyno oil. Not the synthetic oil that most cars require now a days to keep that computer that it's made for happy.

The the Algorithms that the computer was programmed off, was for synthetic oil. So talk with your dealer about what oil they use for the free oil changes.

KOT

·
Registered
XTS4 Luxury
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm talking about the free 50,000 mile maintenance service that comes with new caddys- from the manufacturer.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
I'd bet it's probably less than 10% oil life remaining. It IS free, after all.

If you are concerned, be advised that the OLM has a 100% safety factor built in. This is from a GM powertrain engineer who used to post here and was involved in it.

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
The free maintenance package that comes with the new Cadillacs says 20%. However, there are rumors that the rule has changed and the rule is that each car has a fixed number of free oil changes during its free maintenance package, and it is up to the owner to decide when and at which mileage they use it. But this is not officially confirmed yet. So I would say 20% or less and you get the free oil change..

·
Registered
2012 CTS4 (AWD)
118 Posts
Like for example if I know I'm heading out to a long road trip (like Montreal~Miami) in the Cadillac but the oil life is at 30%... the oil life will naturally run out before I'm back, it is a 5000km round trip no?

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the dealer using synthetic or 'regular' oil. It doesn't affect the OLM. I would naturally prefer synthetic

OLM FAQs
"Do I have to use special oil?The GM Oil Life Monitor System is calibrated for use with standard “Starburst” mineralbasedautomotive engine oil. Synthetic oils are not required except for the Corvette.Make sure to read the owner’s manual and select the viscosity and oil grade that is correctfor your engine. Any oil selected for use should carry the ILSAC “Starburst”. "

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Like for example if I know I'm heading out to a long road trip (like Montreal~Miami) in the Cadillac but the oil life is at 30%... the oil life will naturally run out before I'm back, it is a 5000km round trip no?
Probably not. Road miles are the best and decrement the slowest, but as I said, even if it did zero out, there will be no harm done. Just get it changed when you get home. It's not that crucial.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,802 Posts
Idk if you can, but check the oil level before you first leg of the trip. Then before you come back, check again.

I'm just going by the first gen CTS that is known to drink oil. Not sure about your engine and what not. Though mine didn't start drinking oil until 90,000 miles.

KOT

·
Registered
NONE
1,423 Posts
Not the synthetic oil that most cars require now a days to keep that computer that it's made for happy.
GM cars and trucks NO longer require synthetic oil since the advent of dexos. GM dexos1 spec is a synthetic blend and GM free maintenance only uses AC Delco Synthetic Blend, something the dealers can get for peanuts. If you ask for synthetic oil they will charge you a hefty upgrade fee for it. I have a friend who did and they charged her $79.95 extra for Mobil 1.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,434 Posts
Please go way up ^^^ to the top black bar and open the Cadillac Technical Archive - many good articles, and a great one on the basic theory and operation of the OLM.

A call to my Cadillac Tech neighbor confirms that the OLM algorithm is tweaked each model year for engines, powertrains, oil specifications and GM oil recommendations.

So, my 2002 OLM calibration may not be the same operating life/conditions as yours. (but, at highway speeds, I'm good for 12,500 miles - so I change oil/filter once a year. Like next week)

As Ranger posted, open highway mileage produces the longest oil life for a fair number of reasons. City driving/local short hop commuting is absolute death on oil life.

You wanna get really anal and spend a little money ? Send your oil change samples to http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts