Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe I'm actually thinking about messing with anything, but you guys have got me starting to get hooked on some performance upgrades. So, are there any really simple mild Mods that enhance performance without a great deal of effort (read can be done by anybody with a brain)?

For example, is the Stealth V free flow intake worth the effort with nothing else? Is there a reason they're redesigning it for 2006 release?

Anything else like that you guys would suggest?

Thanks much - always appreciate the input.

Zip

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
To me, the simplest mod(s) to upgrade that will make a difference that you can FEEL, I would say a good tune (Stealth, dyno, etc.) would be the first thing on my hit list.

Next on my list would be a good exhaust system (headers and/or exhaust) upgrade.

I know I'm going to be bonked for this, but I think a CAI is a little overrated. While I can't believe it doesn't help, I don't believe that, in general, it's going to make a difference that is both noticable and large. It remains, however, a cheap upgrade for your car which can only help.

I would also add a shifter upgrade to that list as well. UUC, B&M, etc. are great upgrades.

Beyond that, I can't think of anything that is both simple and cheap.

Hope that helps. :highfive:

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
Ziplicon Tuesday said:
I can't believe I'm actually thinking about messing with anything, but you guys have got me starting to get hooked on some performance upgrades. So, are there any really simple mild Mods that enhance performance without a great deal of effort (read can be done by anybody with a brain)?

For example, is the Stealth V free flow intake worth the effort with nothing else? Is there a reason they're redesigning it for 2006 release?

Anything else like that you guys would suggest?

Thanks much - always appreciate the input.

Zip
Zip,

The 06 has a different motor than the 04-05 hence the different design (LS2 has bigger TB). Our LS6 motors are really choked down for emissions, I suggest 3 things which will cost you less than 2K and will give you about 25HP.
1. Exhaust
2. FreeFlowV Intake
3. StealthV Tune.

Those 3 mods alone will wake your V up like someone put battery cables on its nipples!

F

·
Registered
669 Posts
I would agree with Florian - these 3 plus 1 are the minimum to make your V more enjoyable to drive. StealthV CAI is no longer offered by him but I would see the thread on the $40 CAI mod posted by RQD on 10/16/05 (to include a K&N filter.) Without going crazy on the exhaust, add a Corsa or B&B or whatever. Add the StealthV tune and the UUC or B&M shifter and you've done the crucial stuff. :yup:

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V platinum/blk.
1,227 Posts
Yup, as Florian has stated; CAI, exhaust, and StealthV tune. Drive your car stock for a little bit......get some miles on the clock........then pick up an exhaust and a CAI, and send your PCM to Rick to be tuned. You will be glad you did. It opens an entirely new experience to driving a V.

·
Registered
669 Posts
A better thread on a CAI mod is posted by Lasstss as Intake Replumb on 6/19/05 - all parts and links for parts sources are listed there.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
13,975 Posts
And, to put some numbers on it, these are what I'm thinking:

Mod Cost HP gain
CAI ~$300 ~10
Exhaust 600-1,000 ~10
StealthV Tune 400 ~35
Shifter 200-400 0.1 <--:cool2:
Totals ~$1.5-2.1k ~55

Whaddya think? Am I too high on Rick's tune? I thought I recalled that it would be somewhere in there. It's sure the biggest bank for the buck!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn, that's a sh** load of good advice.
Upgrade the exhaust is the whole thing right, from the headers out? Don't bust my balls here, but is this something I'd have done at Midas or does it need to be a speed shop?

You actually took your PCM's out of your V's and sent it for a re-tune? Man my wife would freak. I'll have to take it slow (yeah, ok already, I'm whipped - but hey, I still got the freakin' V though....) So, are any of the aforementioned 3 worth doing if it's one at a time and if so what order?

Thanks much

ALso, 04CTSVFLA - The site for the Stealth V free flow says they have a new version coming in early 06.

·
Registered
2004 CTSV
1,133 Posts
Don't do the exhaust if you're looking for low cost hp upgrade.
Do it for the looks. Do it for the sound. Do it for the feel.

But it's too expensive for the power. Catch a tune instead.

MnsHO

Tony

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V platinum/blk.
1,227 Posts
2004ctsv said:
Don't do the exhaust if you're looking for low cost hp upgrade.
Do it for the looks. Do it for the sound. Do it for the feel.

But it's too expensive for the power. Catch a tune instead.

MnsHO

Tony
You will get much more out of a tune with the addition of a CAI and an exhaust.

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V platinum/blk.
1,227 Posts
Ziplicon Tuesday said:
So, are any of the aforementioned 3 worth doing if it's one at a time and if so what order?
Yes, one at a time is fine. Do the CAI first, followed by exhaust, then catch a tune whenever you have the time. StealthV will have yours back to you the following day from the day it is received.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got it, good, that was the order I was hoping for - good to know the tune is only a day too.

One other thinig, in one of the 10-16-05 threads about CAI's the dude mentiones removing the snorles from the airbox - WTF?

·
Registered
CTS-V
268 Posts
When looking at CAI's, the Volant comes with a new intake tube from the box to the motor - it doesn't look as good as the one that Stealth used to offer, but compared to stock, it moves more air. The snorkle is the tube that goes from the intake of the stock airbox (on the front) to behind the front grill - it is a pain to get out.

I agree with the others, Stealth tune, CAI, exhaust (in no particular order) and if you want to have a much more enjoyable driving experience, do the UUC (or B & M) shifter. It will feel like a different car after these mods.

Have fun.

Marty

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
Hands down, first mod should be shifter. I went B&M with some DeadSkin (like Dynamat) wrapped around the stalk and lined the plastic plate that mounts over the shifter-ball-mount. For $250, total, it changed the car significantly. Second, I'd do the exhaust to hear the car as it was intended.

The intake/tune is next in Spring, certainly worthwhile as StealthV's tune is highly beneficial to "drivability".
Have fun,
ace

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
If there remains a possibility of adding an exhaust (this may be headers OR exhaust), CAI (I like Volant CAI) or any other HP/torque mod, do the tune AFTERWARDS, lest you run the risk of having a tune not fit your car.

Just an FYI to further clarify----HEADERS are in much more need of a tune than an exhaust (which doesn't require too much of a modification to a tune). If you opt to do an exhaust system (i.e. Zoomers, Corsa, B&B, etc.), then you *can* get a tune prior to the installation of such exhaust system. If you opt to get headers, you will DEFINITELY NOT want a tune prior to that. The risk of headers, in my mind, is leaks, which can be a major PITA to constantly monitor the headers. For a N/A car, however, they can really yield some benefits.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I like the look of the Stealth V CAI the best....but it sounds like the Volant works best. The shifter mod, though desirable, sounds wat out of my league. Sounds like I should stay away from headers too. SO CAI, exhaust, then tune it is.

My dealer will ignore the CAI, but how do they tend to react to the exhaust? Can they tell the PCM changes?

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Why is the shifter out of your league? That isn't very expensive.

I don't think they will react too much to the addition of an exhaust. I read on Borla's site that, by law, they cannot deny warranty coverage with the addition of an exhaust.

Headers are a little more tricky. In CA, some places can (& will) immediately fail your smog test, which, by law, is correct. Some other places you can still get by a smog test, but I'd check with your local places and see if that will be a problem going forward.

And PCM changes, in my mind, wouldn't be something that would be detected often.

·
Registered
CTS-V
268 Posts
Ziplicon Tuesday said:
Yeah, I like the look of the Stealth V CAI the best....but it sounds like the Volant works best. The shifter mod, though desirable, sounds wat out of my league. Sounds like I should stay away from headers too. SO CAI, exhaust, then tune it is.

My dealer will ignore the CAI, but how do they tend to react to the exhaust? Can they tell the PCM changes?
The Corsa used to be "GM Approved" (when I bought mine the boxes actually had the GM logo on them) but I think I remember another thread here which said that got pulled? My dealer knows about my Corsa and the shop guys love it.

I bought another PCM from Rick (StealthV) and had him tune that one. Thus, I can switch them out. Rick can also lock his tune in your PCM so the dealer can't re-write over his work if you want. I am sure they can probably tell if they really go looking and know what they are looking for.

The shifter may seem out of your league (it is not that hard and you do not have to lower the transmission if you get the UUC)(I don't know if you have to or not with the B & M), but IMO, it is the one of the most important mods for simply just enjoying driving your car. Also, I am sure you can find a shop in your area (maybe even your dealer) who will do the install for $100.00- $200.00 or so.

Marty

1 - 20 of 27 Posts