Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a set of black FRCs. The red ones just didnt do it for me. The guy had put the chrome decals on. But I was thinking of pulling the chrome Corvette lettering out and painting that area black. I want the word Corvette there, but I want it subtle. I have some engine spray paint, but I would rather not have to spray (and do the requisite masking), I would rather just brush it on. Any ideas there?

And I was thinking of taking the V logos from the stock engine cover and glueing those to the FRCs. Any one have any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Duplicolor makes some high temperature Caliper Paint in a variety of colors. While they have a spray, they also have a brush on version. Duplicolor is available at many popular Auto Parts stores (Autozone, O'Reillys, Advance, etc.)

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
And I was thinking of taking the V logos from the stock engine cover and glueing those to the FRCs. Any one have any other suggestions?
The V emblems like those on the side of the car list for list for almost $50, but are likely cheaper from Lindsay. GM Part Number is 25754866.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to pull the logos off the stock engine cover, they look to be removable (with a little finagling)

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I need to take some pics of mine tonight for you. I'm against the "Corvette" lettering since it's not a Corvette, just like putting a Rotary in it wouldn't make it an RX-7.

I painted the 5.7L silver with some touchup paint, then ordered some SRX door sill covers off Ebay and stuck them over the Corvette logo. They're slightly too long for the covers, so a tiny bit of trimming is needed at the back, but two snips with some side cutters and they look great. I'll post pics later.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Here's a shot that looks kind of crappy because of the flash, but you get the general idea. I'll take a better one later.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have seen yours before Tony, very tasteful.

I do want to keep the Corvette lettering though, because it is an otherwise exclusive Corvette engine (unlike the LS2, sorry guys) but like I said, I want it to be subtle, hence painting it black.

here is another place that sells them:
http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/cactcufuraco.html

they mold them to the correct shape (no trimming required) and without the recessed corvette letters or raised 5.7l. Priced as shown, I think almost $400 for the pair.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I looked at those, but decided they're too busy and too expensive, plus the gloss black makes the rest of your engine bay look crappy and dull. The factory matte finish blends better, IMO. I've also read a few threads about people canceling orders after waiting 8-10 weeks, so caveat emptor.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
they will paint in a variety of finishes (including body color)

the custom made thing and the wait time, and mostly, that they charge you BEFORE they start is what turned me off.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
I looked at those, but decided they're too busy and too expensive, plus the gloss black makes the rest of your engine bay look crappy and dull. The factory matte finish blends better, IMO. I've also read a few threads about people canceling orders after waiting 8-10 weeks, so caveat emptor.
I agree with the Matt finish. I don't mind the "corvette" on the FRC's but if you don't like that some one did something with a cadillac door sill that looked pretty good.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I agree with the Matt finish. I don't mind the "corvette" on the FRC's but if you don't like that some one did something with a cadillac door sill that looked pretty good.
That would be me. Here's a slightly better picture from before I painted the 5.7L logos silver.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
I like the Ghetto V Logo Oil cap too!

Man I feel like an idiot, can you tell I went to the last page when I posted the last time!

FRC's look sharp Tony.

Do you mind if I steal your idea with the V logo on the strut tower brace?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts