Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After owning a beautiful 17 with a 6MT for about 6 months. I was the victim of a hit and run about a month ago, i swerved to avoid an even bigger accident and most of the impact was when my FR wheel hit a curb.
All the front suspension is being replaced, but thats not whats worrying me, the shop told me that my frame is bent, and that rather than totaling it, they will fix it.

Should i be worried? i was under the idea that a bent frame = totaled car

I love driving my car and take it to the canyons almost every weekend.

Do you guys think im torturing myself with blowing it out of proportion?

or will i be getting a car that wont be the same after repairs?

Ill be getting the car back in about 2 weeks, and im terrified about realizing that i now have a car that wont track straight (and is effectively a totaled car) after driving it back from the shop.

Shitty situation, but if i learnt anything from this, is that shit happens and there is nothing you can do about it :/

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V Sedan 6MT
352 Posts
From your description, it sounds like your frame damage is fairly minor. As long as it's not cracked, you should be alright. I've seen competent shops perform miracles on bent frames. Just make sure you take it to a competition shop for a proper alignment afterward so they can assess the suspension geometry and get your car dialed in properly.

·
Registered
Still Stock 2017 ATS-V 6MT CWT Sedan, Tuned 2016 Explorer TT
545 Posts
I would not panic. I had a 2 month old car rear ended and the frame went 2" out of wack. 9.5k in damage. After being repaired (by a shop I have worked with for a long time), the car drove like nothing had happened. Your damage sounds much milder.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The big problem is diminished value. Since your insurance company is paying for the loss, will they also reimburse you for diminished value? You have lost 20-30% of the value of the car. I can't stand hit and run drivers. The driver probably didn't carry insurance.

·
Registered
545 Posts
They will likely argue hard that the car has been restored to 100% new condition and has sustained NO diminished value. This, of course, is complete bs. Its an uphill battle, but don't give it up without a fight. I had a private company put together a diminished value report and managed to double/triple their insulting first offer. It still did not represent the true lost value, but it was something. They make it a long and painful process.

·
Registered
'16 ATS-V MT6 Sedan, Alfas: '67 Duetto, '84 GTV6 3.5L 24v/Vette C5 project
505 Posts
The big problem is diminished value. Since your insurance company is paying for the loss, will they also reimburse you for diminished value? You have lost 20-30% of the value of the car. I can't stand hit and run drivers. The driver probably didn't carry insurance.
Having gone through a 'Diminished Value' claim once on another car, don't leave it to your or other driver's insurance to 'do right' in getting the proper monetary amount to compensate for the value loss. Usually using an independent lawyer familiar in this type of case law is the only way to go in order to be awarded/paid a sufficient amount.

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V Sedan, Vector Blue/Black, 6MT
988 Posts
B the way, these cars, like almost all vehicles these days, are unitized, and HAVE NO FRAMES! From what I can tell, there isn't even a front sub-frame, like they used in the gen 2 Camaro/Firebirds. Modern body shops, with the correct equipment, can bring the body back to spec in many cases, without a loss of body integrity. Make sure that the alignment is truly within spec after the repair; sometimes, the alignment can be "fudged", and it just won't really be right. As far as the "loss of value", check your state laws. They definitely vary. Good luck.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V Coupe (Catti-V)
1,458 Posts
I'm not sure what insurance you have but for my past experience if there's frame damage its totaled. The rigidity of frames nowadays and the way they're integrated into the body of the car it's not the same as the old days when you could just straighten the frame out on a rack.

Also, you keep saying your shop is telling you the frame is bent and it's okay. What about the insurance company since they're the one paying the bill?

since this was a hit and run, and you will definitely have diminished value, I would highly recommend getting a consultation with an attorney. your insurance company is not going to give you the correct diminished value, if they even offer you any at all. If they don't see papers with a law firms name on it they will not play ball.

·
Registered
545 Posts
There are still two beams running the length of the car. Not a frame in the old school sense. In a rear end colision, one of them ends up being pushed further forward. They pull it back on the rack.

·
Registered
'16 ATS-V MT6 Sedan, Alfas: '67 Duetto, '84 GTV6 3.5L 24v/Vette C5 project
505 Posts
Even in this modern world of unibody construction, many manufacturers are employing front & rear 'sub-frames' for suspension, which tie/bolt on to the main unibody as a whole.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
However after not driving my car for about 2 months, i noticed that when the car idles, some choppy vibrations transmit to the cabin. more so when the engine is cold. Is this normal?

I only feel the vibrations when idling, its smooth as butter as soon as i start moving.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V sedan 6 speed manual
281 Posts
I've always noticed a slightly "lumpy" idle. It seems more like a single misfire than a hot cam. No codes, just not a totally smooth idle.

·
Registered
none
266 Posts
Turned my race car upside down at Auto Club Speedway about 15 years ago and got some frame damage as it hit the wall. My Chevy dealer was a sponsor and they put it on the frame bench for a week. The tech promised me that the frame would be in a better alignment when he finished than when it left the factory as he would pull all points back to the middle of the tolerance specs. Jacked the roof off the cage, new windshield and new front clip and made the next race 4 weeks later at Sears Point. Car ran flawlessly for several more years until I sold it. Heck, it still could be competing somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've always noticed a slightly "lumpy" idle. It seems more like a single misfire than a hot cam. No codes, just not a totally smooth idle.
a single misfire is exactly what it feels like, its like its smooth then its stumbles once or twice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts