Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Escalade ESV
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this is a very frustrating post. I’ve had my new-to-me 2009 ESV for only a few weeks now and today discovered that the frame is rusted and busted where the front sway bar mounts. On the passenger side. I’m very upset because I’m wondering how you even go about fixing the frame there like that. Any thoughts on where I should start or if Cadillac would step up and help me out with this?

·
Registered
NONE
59 Posts
It's actually not uncommon on this body style SUV's and GM trucks. Supposedly it has to do with how the condensation from the AC drips right down in that area leading to premature rust/failure in addition to the factory weld/metal at that point not being sufficient.

GM actually makes repair brackets/mounts for this issue that are about $16/ea.

PN Description
84037074 Bracket – Drivetrain & Frt Susp Frm Stab (Left Hand)
84037075 Bracket – Drivetrain & Frt Susp Frm Stab (Right Hand)

And then if you want to put new OEM bolts in...

11570934 SCREW-HEX FLANGE HEAD TAPPING

Just cut the old sections out, clean, weld the new plates/brackets in.

·
Registered
'16 VSport (wife's), '10 Escalade, '97 & 02 SS Camaro's, '15 Silverado LTZ
1,106 Posts
I know they won't but if it's due to a bad design GM should stand behind it. I'd consider it a matter of safety and warrants another recall; to leave everyone hanging like the airbag recall!

·
Registered
2009 Escalade ESV
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi-psi, thanks a bunch for that helpful info!! Anyone ever have GM/Cadillac cover under recall or warranty?

·
Registered
2009 Escalade ESV
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I’m taking to the Caddy dealer today to look at as well as an oil leak. My typical mechanic said the oil leak was the rear main seal and he didn’t really want to touch the sway bar mount. He suggested taking to a body shop for work. Does that make sense to you?

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
1,221 Posts
Yes. Body shops tend to have better welding equipment and body techs tend to be better welders.

·
Registered
2009 AWD Escalade Ultra Luxury Raven Black
1,800 Posts
You might be able to find a local welding shop willing to tackle the job too.

·
Registered
2009 Escalade ESV
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took it to the dealer and they basically said to take it to a body shop. They don’t do fabricating. I’m floored there is a GM bulletin out and they can’t even handle at a dealer!!

·
Registered
NONE
59 Posts
^^ Yes ^^

Any GM dealer that has a body/collision shop should be able to handle it for you. But, you may still come out cheaper going to an independent body shop, or as K9Caddy mentioned, any good welding/fab shop could do it also (and probably have better/stronger welds).

·
Registered
2009 AWD Escalade Ultra Luxury Raven Black
1,800 Posts
I took it to the dealer and they basically said to take it to a body shop. They don’t do fabricating. I’m floored there is a GM bulletin out and they can’t even handle at a dealer!!
You're not gonna find many dealers without body shops who will tackle that job, since its an area of specialty. They wont touch it unless they are ASE certified in framework repair/modification. The only ones who fit that criteria are in the body shop business.

·
Registered
2009 Escalade ESV
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well after $60 in parts from dealership, I took to my local Meineke and they knocked both sides out in 4 hours! I take my company fleet vehicles there and they take care of me.

·
Registered
2009 Escalade ESV
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, the truck rides much nicer in the front end now. Made a big difference in what I was feeling in the front end including knocks and heavy hitting over bumps

·
Registered
'16 VSport (wife's), '10 Escalade, '97 & 02 SS Camaro's, '15 Silverado LTZ
1,106 Posts
Glad it wasn't any more trouble than it was.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm picking up the part for the right side of my 2007 Escalade today and taking it to a welding shop tomorrow I hope everything works out as well as it did for you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had my local muffler shop weld the sway bar bracket I purchased from my local Cadillac dealership rides a lot better also put new sway bar bushings I purchase from AutoZone

1 - 20 of 20 Posts