Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Seville STS
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading a thread, Titled Long Starts on a 96 sts, I followed the advice of that thread. I got a vacuum line and did the "tongue suction" test to check my FPR. It held a fine vacuum. So following the next step, I pulled my FPR apart and looked at the O-Ring. It looks fine, nearly looks brand new. My next big question is could the O-ring actually be okay but expand as it gets warm and shrink when it's cool? This thread explained the exact same problems I've been experiencing and that problem was corrected by changing out a corroded O-ring in the FPR. But mine looks fine. Any ideas? Tired of having hard, long starts.... Thanks.

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
Long starts when the engine is cold or hot? Typically, if it starts harder when hot, it's the FPR. Any codes? Have you cleaned the TB? If it's a cold start problem, it might be a fuel pressure issue. Check the pressure at the nipple on the fuel rail. 45 to 50 psi is good. Low pressure? It could be a fuel pump.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,118 Posts
My next big question is could the O-ring actually be okay but expand as it gets warm and shrink when it's cool?
No, the O ring is there to seal it from leaking externally. If it was bad you'd know it. The only thing that fails on a FPR is the diaphragm. Yours sounds like it passed the test.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts