Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Customized black on tan 3.6L CTS
5,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have gradually been getting worse vision. I especially noticed it when shooting or driving. I went to the eye doctor yesterday and he gave me a prescription for some spectacles.

I only have to wear them when driving or when shooting. I need them to be stylish also though. LOL!! I found some brooks brothers ones at Lenscrafters that look only a little silly on me but they wanted like 350 out the door. Is there a cheaper solution? Online? Where can I get nice glasses on the cheap?

I was stunned to find out that my insurance doesnt pay for it! (State employee)

Thanks in advance to my fellow nerds...... :worship::highfive::crybaby:

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
I'm in the same situation. The bad thing about only needing glasses occasionally is that you always misplace them, they fall out of your pocket etc.
Some things I recommend:
  1. don't skimp on frames. cheapos bend easily and don't straighten out well. Good frames are very flexible and forgiving.
  2. get a good case. see reason no 1
  3. if you can afford it, get the scratch coating. see reason no 1 again

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just found out we have an americas best store near me. They have good brands (Chaps, RL, DKNY, Etc....) and the frames are like 150 less than lenscrafters. I plan on getting good lenses that are coated and polarized.

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
People only go to Lenscrafters for the convenience.. and as with just about anything you must pay for the convenience. I'll be the first to admit that I go there just for that reason... put my order in, go grab something to eat, check out a couple stores, and bingo - your new glasses are ready in an hour (well most glasses... if you order a pair of the frameless glasses they can take a few weeks, learned that the hard way).

I've had the same prescription for the last fourteen years. The key is not getting duped into thinking you need a stronger set every few years - that's how your eyes end up getting progressively worse. What ever you do, don't squint and try to learn some eye exercises - it sounds silly but it's true and they help.

But in reality.. the cheapest alternative is laser correction surgery. You figure you're what, 24? You'll end up getting a new pair say every three years or so at an average of say $300 (because prices will only go up), so if you live at least another 55 years you're looking to spend at least $5500 on your eyes over the course of your life, and that's not counting the price of exams.

Laser surgery is getting cheaper and cheaper every year, my aunt just had hers done last year for something like $1800 - she's had 20/15 vision ever since.

Just food for thought.

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PFFFFTTTTT Aint nobody coming near my eyes with some magic laser thingy!! HAHAHAHAH. My vision is not bad at all. Just getting a little blury sometimes like when shooting or reading road signs. Doc said I have a very mild astigmatism. Maybe if it gets worse when Im old I will get the laser but not at this point.

Thanks for the tip though!

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
I'd agree with those who said don't skimp - my last pair cost a bit more than $600 which included transition lens, no-line variable focal range top to bottom (I need correction for reading as well as distance vision), Zeiss anti-reflective coating & a scratch-resistant coating in a flexible mounting.

If all you need correction for is distance vision, you can get by a good deal cheaper. I have another single-prescription pair which I use only for golfing & driving. They have the same coatings & a similar frame at slightly less than $400.

I love the transitions.

Whatever you buy, make sure that you clean them only with a clean, soft cotton cloth after spraying with a lens cleanser. Using paper tissues will soon result in scratches. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Get frameless. The women will love you.

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THanks for the advice guys!

I went to America's Best at lunch and bought a pair. My prescription is not very strong so that saves money right there. I got a nice pair for like $120 total. The lenses were dirt cheap with 1 year warranty, anti scratch and anti glare. The only time I will wear them is pretty much shooting, golfing, and driving.

Chad- the chicks already love me! HAHAHAHAH

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,969 Posts
I'd agree with those who said don't skimp - my last pair cost a bit more than $600 which included transition lens, no-line variable focal range top to bottom (I need correction for reading as well as distance vision), Zeiss anti-reflective coating & a scratch-resistant coating in a flexible mounting.

If all you need correction for is distance vision, you can get by a good deal cheaper. I have another single-prescription pair which I use only for golfing & driving. They have the same coatings & a similar frame at slightly less than $400.

I love the transitions.

Whatever you buy, make sure that you clean them only with a clean, soft cotton cloth after spraying with a lens cleanser. Using paper tissues will soon result in scratches. :thumbsup:
I went for Vari-Lux lenses and the distortion drives me crazy. Never again. Plastic lenses are no good either. No matter what you do they still scratch. If plastic lenses had been made first, glass would have been touted as a great leap forward. I've been wearing glasses for sixty years and I'm tired of it. The best way to clean glasses is with Dawn dish soap and an old toothbrush. You need to get all the grit and skin oils out of the cracks before wiping them off.

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
I went for Vari-Lux lenses and the distortion drives me crazy. Never again. Plastic lenses are no good either. No matter what you do they still scratch. If plastic lenses had been made first, glass would have been touted as a great leap forward. I've been wearing glasses for sixty years and I'm tired of it. The best way to clean glasses is with Dawn dish soap and an old toothbrush. You need to get all the grit and skin oils out of the cracks before wiping them off.
Agree that the Varilux lens take some getting used to - it took me about six months to really buy into 'em.

Now the only time they bother me a great deal is when playing golf - can't do it. Teeing off was a major bummer - it became such a distraction that I sprung for a single prescription version.

I'm with you on glass also - but they're so darned heavy that I gave up & went plastic. And they will scratch - all one can do is be as careful with them as possible & buy new when the scratches become a real irritant.

·
Registered
None yet!
1,025 Posts
I wish I could have glass, but my high-index plastic ones are almost 1/2" thick at the edges because my prescription is so strong. Glass ones would hurt my nose worse than the ones I have. I don't know why, but when I got my sunglasses, though, they are much thinner and lighter even though they work better. I've worn glasses my whole life just about, and the biggest nuisance is not being able to go into a store and buy a pair of sunglasses you like. You have to find a pair of frames that can take prescription lenses and then pay $250+ for sunglasses. At any rate, for a mild correction, go with glass. Also stay away from those "Transition" ones, THEY DO NOT WORK IN THE CAR!!!

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I figure I wont need bifocals or transitions for at least 40 years! :histeric:

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Like what sort of helmet?

-Darth Vader helmet
-Welding Mask
-Motorcycle helmet
-Hockey mask
-fencing mask

·
Registered
2007 E92 BMW 335i
10,761 Posts
Are contacts an option for you? I wore glasses for about a year 4 years ago, and now for the past 3 years I've had contacts. So much more convenient, at least for me. I still keep a pair of glasses that I wear once in awhile though.

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
Care full with that laser correction.
Not saying it doesnt work for every one.....but I know people that have had it done and still have to wear glasses under certain circumstances. IE night time driving, watching tv...etc.

I believe that astigmatism has to do with alignment. It is possible to correct that with eye exercises as AMGoff said.
Just a few minutes a day looking at a card on the wall and adjusting your eyes to bring the two images together as one.
Its almost like a lazy eye thing and it helps to strengthen it. Ask your eye guy. He should tell you the truth and be able to help.

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
But in reality.. the cheapest alternative is laser correction surgery. You figure you're what, 24? .
Hes too young for Lasik...your eyesight has to be stabilized. Typically in your 30's. I had lasik done when I was 34, and have had 0 issues. I wore glasses for 30 years prior...best money ever spent.

F

1 - 18 of 18 Posts