Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Ex-99 Deville and 04 DTS owner. Now 05 DTS and 07 Audi S6 owner. 5.2L V10 power!
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I been having a loss of refridgerant problem for a while now. I finally put some UV dye in it the other day. I got me a UV light and ran the A/C all day driving around town. At night I checked it out and found dye coming out of the high pressure line fitting. It's not coming out of the top. It's coming from the sides where it looks like a hex nut. I was wondering if the high pressure line fitting was screwed on or was the hex nut look just there for looks. If it was screwed on, I can just get another one put on or tighten this one right? If it's not screwed on, what do i have to do? Is this gonna cost me $$$? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville 1990
266 Posts
The hex nut should be screwed on to something is this on the condesor side? If so then it could be something as simple as the seal but you will never know unless you open the line up and if you do that then you might as well exchange the seal...lol. Anyway try to tighten the hex up a little maybe it came loose some how. If that does not do it then you will have to open the line and find out why it is leaking there you might have to replace the condesor or just the line but those parts can run you as high as a couple of hundred depending where you find them. If you do open the recommend you exchange the accumilator but if you cap the line off right away you might be able to reuse it although if you take it to a shop they will recommend replacing it. After you fix what was wrong then put everything together and vacuum the system out and recharge. Pray to the A/C gods and hope you fixed it right.

A bit of advise if your going to tackle this on your own Autozone sells an A/C DVD for $6 and it is well worth it for cases like this or for someone that hates shops and there high dollar charges. I prefer to do my own work and this DVD will explain all the ends and outs of an A/C system and how to repair it.

·
Registered
Ex-99 Deville and 04 DTS owner. Now 05 DTS and 07 Audi S6 owner. 5.2L V10 power!
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its leaking on the high pressure line where you would hook up a hose to fill with refrigerant. But it's leaking around the hex head, not on the actual line and not out of the top of the fitting where the hose would go.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,997 Posts
Try tightening it just a tad, but most likely it's a bad seal.Probably an "O" ring.

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville 1990
266 Posts
The line where you connect to recharge is called the Low side not the High and yes just try tightening it up.

·
Registered
03 DTS
225 Posts
Most of those fittings are welded on, it may be cracked if it is leaking from the bottom of the hex. Are you sure itis not coming out the CV on the charge port nipple.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know the difference between the hi and low side. low side is the fat pipe and hi side is the skinny piping and i know you don't recharge there if you are doing it yourself but the A/C shops connect to it though. From what I can see though, it's not coming from the nipple. It seems it's coming from the hex itself. For some reason when I stuck the pressure gauge on the low side, it is not low. It's been about 2 weeks now and it's still holding up even though some of the dye had come out. The refrigerant can had some sealant stuff in it that I really didn't want but it seems that it sealed things up some. I dunno. I heard that sealant stuff tears up compressors.

·
Super Moderator
86,997 Posts
I have been told that you should never use a sealant in the A/C system.

·
Super Moderator
86,997 Posts
Look at any store that sells refrigerant and you will find some cans with a "sealant" added. I would not use it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts