Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
Re: Found! Cheap REar shocks in Missouri!

That is a passive strut. The "exclusive built in solenoid" is just a resistor.
But yeah is cheap, you get the pair for little less than one OEM unit.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,104 Posts
-----------------------
actually - that's no big deal - those are passive shocks - not active -
the Monroe 40046 - is the same thing -
and you can get them for $99.60 each with free shipping on Amazon.com

the Monroe 40018 ARE true ACTIVE shocks -
$335.02 each with free shipping on Amazon.com

·
Registered
'99 eldo blk on blk, '13 ATS,'13 SRX premium
225 Posts
I've been looking on amazon for rear shocks. Would you please explain a 'passive' and 'active' shock. I have been looking at the Gabriel 49254 , I want a little lift and some cushion for bumps. Thank you Ed

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Is your car an ESC or ETC?

Active and passive refers to the shocks/struts having an adjustable damping rate (stiffness). other than OEM Ac Delco, or Monroe's active replacements, all other replacements are passive.

Shocks/struts do not dictate ride height, that's the coil springs job. However, the rear ELC system uses air bladders integrated into each rear shock to maintain proper ride height when weight is added.

If the rear is sitting low, there's either a leak in the system, the pump is bad, or a height sensor is faulty or disconnected.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac Eldorado - Polo Green Metallic
96 Posts
I bought a set of ACDELCO Professional 504-579 (19241356) air shocks for my '97 Eldorado for $120 shipped from RockAuto. I couldn't be happier with them. I was worried about the ride, but they are great. The price was excellent, too. Couldn't be happier with the results. Instead of 30-40 seconds of compressor pumping during the automatic prime period after turning the ignition on, it now only takes 3 seconds or so, and they work like a charm when load-leveling.

Nick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts