Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Deville
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this has been posted here before but here's a Popular Science comparison test of the 79 Cadillac Eldorado, Lincoln MK V, BMW 633CSi, Mercedes 450 SEL and Jaguar XJ-12L. It's quite an odd assortment of cars including (then) new domestic, old domestic and much more expensive imports. PS praised the Eldo's handling, acceleration, interior room and comfort. They liked the power of it's 350 V8, the lack of torque steer, and it's high speed stability. They liked the Jag the most though it cost quite a bit more than the Eldorado. https://books.google.ca/books?id=iw...&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=lincoln mk v&f=false

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
^ What's even more interesting is if you scroll down there is an article about Western journalist being allowed to visit Soviet nuclear labs and power plants. Kind of chilling to read, as none of their reactors had concrete containment domes. They thought they were a waste of $$$$, as they believed nuclear reactors were 100% safe, as in a meltdown was never going to happen, so why spend all the money on containment structures. They thought the west were a bunch of overly worrying mother types when it came to safety practices.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
I have to agree with their preference for the Jaguar XJ/12. While my XJ's were only XJ-6's I had them as my preferred business car throughout the eighties. I was sorely tempted by the BMW 6 series but needed the rear seating. Mercedes of that era were really coarse to ride in and uninvolving to drive. I kept my '76 Seville for personal use on the weekends and much preferred it to either 80's Eldorado or Seville. The Lincoln Continental Mark V was "impresively" mediocre in all regards, but well suited to the newly arrived status seekers of the day. The Mark V really was the flag bearer for the '70's Eldorado crowd.

·
Registered
2005 Deville
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only car in this test that I ever drove was the 450 SEL. In 1978 my brother-in-law bought one and he let me drive it on a couple of occasions. To this day I remember how the steering felt so heavy but amazingly precise and how flat it cornered. At the time I was driving a 66 LeSabre and my father had a 75 LeSabre and driving the Mercedes was a revelation.

·
Registered
STS 1SF Black V8 2006
456 Posts
OMG I went to the Senior prom in a new 78 Mark V Navy Blue / Navy Blue. Pops had a new Champaign Eldo spec edition. Going backwards, I really really miss the Navy Blue and OR Red Leather in the Caddies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts