Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 DI - EU version
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi CTS sub, I was originally looking for a well equipped STS, but those are rather difficult to find in Europe for a reasonable price. Today I sumbled upon a 2009 CTS with AWD and supposedly all options (sold in Europe). Its VIN is starting with 1G6DS57V980..... dunno what to make of that.

I have some questions regarding comparison of top spec CTS and top spec STS. I mean, obviously the STS has V8 and the CTS has better fuel consumption, and the interior of CTS is just a piece of art, but what about ride comfort? I heard the CTS is a considerably harsher ride. And reliability? The last N* is supposedly immortal, but the STS's 3.6L is rather problematic, is it better in case of CTS's 3.6L? I also hear the STS is tomb-like silent, how does the CTS fare in that aspect?

As for general questions, the car has a soft of ... imitation of carbon fibre trim I guess. Looks like this and this up close. Is it possible to switch it for the wood (real or not) one and if so, how costly/difficult is it? Including the steering wheel upper part... I really love wood in cars, heh.

And the usual issues to look for when inspecting the car are something I can find in the archives I guess.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No I meant the original wood trim. Probably should have specified that, heh...

Edit: I guess here's an answer to that, eh.

·
Registered
Traded in that boat anchor
129 Posts
My 3.6 DI CTS gets worse fuel mileage than my Corvette and Mustang GT got. my Corvette got 28 mpg hwy and 20 around town. I am getting a ridiculous 14.4 mpg in town with this boat anchor. Yet to see 20 mpg even with mostly hwy miles.

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
1,229 Posts
My 3.6 DI CTS gets worse fuel mileage than my Corvette and Mustang GT got. my Corvette got 28 mpg hwy and 20 around town. I am getting a ridiculous 14.4 mpg in town with this boat anchor. Yet to see 20 mpg even with mostly hwy miles.
1. What does this have to do with the thread?

2. You should expect it to get worse than both of those cars. Corvette is extremely light and aerodynamic. Similar with the Ford. Bigger engines working less hard.

3. Here's a tissue

·
Registered
SOLD - 2010 CTS4 Premium Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere Interior
2,930 Posts
Yes, it is strange that you popped up with those comments for this thread. Do You have a coupe or what? Coupes have a lower rear ratio than others.

I am getting about 18MPG average with my CTS and it's over 26+ on highway trips.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,158 Posts
Getting back to the topic here, the 2009 CTS engine might have problems with timing chain. That model year along with the earlier 2008 may be a problem. GM has an extended warranty for some of those engines, but not all. It may not apply in Europe. Also, the AWD is more of a problem than the RWD, including gas mileage.

I like how the CTS handles. I can't directly compare it to the STS as I have not been in the STS, but the CTS is a nice ride, it handles well and is comfortable. Also, some people complain about the standard seats being uncomfortable, so I would definitely sit in those seats for a length of time to get a feel for it. If you could drive it for at least an hour, that would be the best test.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2018 Audi SQ5
369 Posts

2. You should expect it to get worse than both of those cars. Corvette is extremely light and aerodynamic. Similar with the Ford. Bigger engines working less hard.

3. Here's a tissue

THIS is what he was referring to, and unless you failed reading comprehension, it should be VERY obvious.

And right, a high performance vehicles should get better mileage because it's lighter, with gear ratios to enjoy the big engine. Sure. Just not on this planet. And yeah, the Corvette is light. Umm, wait, no it's not!

Duh, just duh! These are the comments that make this a Caddy forum. Duh. Unsmart at its finest.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Getting back to the topic here, the 2009 CTS engine might have problems with timing chain. That model year along with the earlier 2008 may be a problem. GM has an extended warranty for some of those engines, but not all. It may not apply in Europe. Also, the AWD is more of a problem than the RWD, including gas mileage.

I like how the CTS handles. I can't directly compare it to the STS as I have not been in the STS, but the CTS is a nice ride, it handles well and is comfortable. Also, some people complain about the standard seats being uncomfortable, so I would definitely sit in those seats for a length of time to get a feel for it. If you could drive it for at least an hour, that would be the best test.

Good luck.
Well based on this thread, the AWD CTS actually gets the same milage as V8 STS... Oh well, unfortunate. I presume you can't just disable AWD.

Timing chain problems are usually an easy fix, aren't they? Just stretching it or whatever. Unless you mean it snaps, heh.

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Thunder Gray Chromaflair/Ebony
798 Posts
It sounds like you are focused on quietness and ride. I would tend to think the STS has some more traditional Cadillac qualities while the CTS tends to emphasize "sport". That being said these distinctions are largely trim and option dependent.

For example, I currently have a 2012 CTS AWD loaner with the 3.0 and base suspension and my 2008 puts it to shame. I can't believe the difference the 3.6l with the performance package makes on my 08. That being said, any sport package will make the ride harsher under some circumstances.

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
1,229 Posts

3. Here's a tissue

THIS is what he was referring to, and unless you failed reading comprehension, it should be VERY obvious.

And right, a high performance vehicles should get better mileage because it's lighter, with gear ratios to enjoy the big engine. Sure. Just not on this planet. And yeah, the Corvette is light. Umm, wait, no it's not!

Duh, just duh! These are the comments that make this a Caddy forum. Duh. Unsmart at its finest.:rolleyes:
Looks like I may have been on Mars for a couple hours yesterday

·
Registered
129 Posts

3. Here's a tissue
Hey ass wipe read his post. He said the V6 would get better gas mileage than the V8 STS. That's not the case. I have read post after post on here about crappy fuel mileage with these cars. Also GM claimed 18 city 26 hwy. 14 mpg city and 20 why aren't even close to their claims.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion on here. That's why it's a forum. Pointing out that the STS may not be as bad on gas as the CTS is a valid point. WTF do you need to get all high and mighty for ? Lighten up.

----------

Looks like I may have been on Mars for a couple hours yesterday
Apparently on here it's selective reading. People should try reading all the posts and then figuring out why someone answered the way they did.

Am I wrong to point out that a 2011 highly technical and expensive fuel injected V6 is getting a ridiculous 14 mpg and I am not driving it hard. If anything I am driving it much easier than any car I have had in years and it's not helping the fuel economy at all.

My point was don't rule out the V8 STS based on fuel economy as it may be about the same.

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Thunder Gray Chromaflair/Ebony
798 Posts
Backinblack11,

Are you 51 or 15 years old? Please be reasonably friendly while trying to stay on topic. If you would have told the OP, "not to rule out the V8 based on fuel economy at it may be about the same" and then added that your particular gas mileage is only 14mpg, then no one would have complained. Instead you went on a rant in someone else's thread.

Although I personally would prefer the CTS, it appears the OP's questions and implied priorities might make the STS a better option.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Some of you Cadillac owners all seem to have a chip on your shoulders. So what if I went on a rant about fuel mileage ? It's a forum, yep a forum. You are not afraid of voicing your opinion so why can't others yatesd ?
The fact is a V6 in any newer car should not be getting 14 mpg. If I had read a rant like mine before I purchased my car I would not have bought it. Buyers beware.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe
263 Posts
I have come to find that the CTS coupe is capable of getting 20 mpg or more. I have to adjust my driving style to get that, but it is possible. Leaving it OUT of sport mode helps too. Which is a shame, because that's the way the car should respond anyway. True Sport Mode would make it even more responsive than this, which it should be.

Shakey

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,158 Posts
Some of you Cadillac owners all seem to have a chip on your shoulders. So what if I went on a rant about fuel mileage ? It's a forum, yep a forum. You are not afraid of voicing your opinion so why can't others yatesd ?
The fact is a V6 in any newer car should not be getting 14 mpg. If I had read a rant like mine before I purchased my car I would not have bought it. Buyers beware.
You have entirely missed the boat. First the OP is from the Czech Republic. Be respectful as he is reaching out from overseas and he is a first time poster. Help him - isn't that the purpose of being here? His questions were entirely in line of anything that any first timer would want to know. What you posted was out there somewhere, not even close to what the OP had asked. What do yo expect from everyone else on this forum? You have a handful of posts, you haven't been around long enough for anyone to get to "know you". Just try to be a little more respectful and helpful - it will get you pretty far.

Don't be disruptive and try to bullpucky your way around.

And, by the way, you complain about mileage on a V6? You state if you had read about it you never would have purchased your car? There are threads all over about AWD MPG. You never did any research before you bought, you'd rather bitch. Grow up.

·
Registered
2013 Black Diamond CTS4 Premium Coupe (sold-09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony)
4,337 Posts
Hrmm, I don't recall ANY owners complaining of low MPG prior to May of 2015. This problem took 5+ years to develop...so take it easy on the lad. :rofl:

·
Registered
1964Fleetwood60Spcl,1976EldoradoConv,2009CTS4BlackCherryDI
350 Posts

3. Here's a tissue
It appears to me that Backinblack11's response addresses the OP's question concerning fuel economy. And I agree with him completely. I get better fuel economy from my 76 Eldorado. Your response, and those of whom liked it, is becoming typical of this forum of useless, sarcastic and insulting. If you cannot contribute useful info, either stay off or grow a thicker skin. Its a shame we even have to waste time reading and addressing this type of nonsense.
Back to the OP;
The ride in my 09 CTS4 Premium is horrible to say the least. And I only have 47k miles on it. I would describe the ride as See Saw like. Very tight and harsh. I drove many STS's and they are quieter and much more of what we used to expect from a Cadillac ride. Hope this helps.

----------

I have come to find that the CTS coupe is capable of getting 20 mpg or more. I have to adjust my driving style to get that, but it is possible. Leaving it OUT of sport mode helps too. Which is a shame, because that's the way the car should respond anyway. True Sport Mode would make it even more responsive than this, which it should be.

Shakey
I too am able to get some better fuel figures by altering my driving habits as well. I've become a Right Lane Driver and not exceeding 60 MPH helps a great deal. So much for driving a performance oriented vehicle. I guess it comes at a price. The AWD does like to eat snow. Gets incredible snow and wet weather traction, if you get past the inherent Wheel spin pulling away from dead stops with wheels turned. Try backing up with wheels turned and not have to hit gas a little harder because the systems locks up. At least better fuel economy is capable.

·
Registered
'10 CTS4 3.6L Wagon prem; '06 STS 3.6L base; '98 Seville STS
2,341 Posts
It appears to me that Backinblack11's response addresses the OP's question concerning fuel economy. And I agree with him completely. I get better fuel economy from my 76 Eldorado. Your response, and those of whom liked it, is becoming typical of this forum of useless, sarcastic and insulting. If you cannot contribute useful info, either stay off or grow a thicker skin. Its a shame we even have to waste time reading and addressing this type of nonsense.
Back to the OP;
The ride in my 09 CTS4 Premium is horrible to say the least. And I only have 47k miles on it. I would describe the ride as See Saw like. Very tight and harsh. I drove many STS's and they are quieter and much more of what we used to expect from a Cadillac ride. Hope this helps.
Wouldn't a cts have a more harsh ride because of it being more sporty than the sts? If I can get the same mpg that I got on my sts RWD v6 on the cts4 wagon, I'll be more than happy

·
Registered
1964Fleetwood60Spcl,1976EldoradoConv,2009CTS4BlackCherryDI
350 Posts
In my opinion, the CTS's ride is great on the open smooth road. It corners like it's on rails. Drive it through some of Brooklyn's {New York} very neglected streets and you'll need a chiropractor by days end. I am an old school Caddy guy with a couple of old ladies in my garage. I guess if I don't want to feel the bumps and rolls of Brooklyn's streets I can drive my 64 Fleetwood. Or as I'm sure some of the previous sarcastic fools in here would say, "Just stay off them".

1 - 20 of 28 Posts