Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance|2018 Chevy Colorado Z71
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone less than 5 minutes from my house is selling a 94 Fleetwood. The car is red like mine with the gold package and has a grey leather interior. It's not a Brougham, just a base model Fleetwood, no vinyl top or "Brougham" insignia. According to the inspection sticker which is valid it's a 94. Body looks good, paint looks good, didn't get too close to it though since it was nighttime and around dinner, I didn't wanna disturb anyone. Car has something like 134k and since it's a 94 I believe it's got the LT1. The sticker says "Asking $3,000 OBO." It's got 5,000 more miles on the odometer than my Fleetwood. I do want an LT1 Fleetwood to make my daily driver and take my '89 and turn her into a weekend fun car seeing as she is getting older and probably going up in value. I don't think this is a bad car, I don't care that it's a base Fleetwood since I have my fancypants Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance, I just want this one to use to get around, Caddystyle. Plus the LT1 entices me. I ain't offering no $3,000 for an 11 year old car with 134k so what would be fair to offer? If I were to get this car I could take lots of the responsibility off my precious baby. I'll try to snap some pics of it tomorrow when I pass it on my way to Route 80 going to school. It's the same red as my car which turns me on to it. Opinions?

D

·
0 Posts
DopeStar 156 said:
Someone less than 5 minutes from my house is selling a 94 Fleetwood. The car is red like mine with the gold package and has a grey leather interior. It's not a Brougham, just a base model Fleetwood, no vinyl top or "Brougham" insignia. According to the inspection sticker which is valid it's a 94. Body looks good, paint looks good, didn't get too close to it though since it was nighttime and around dinner, I didn't wanna disturb anyone. Car has something like 134k and since it's a 94 I believe it's got the LT1. The sticker says "Asking $3,000 OBO." It's got 5,000 more miles on the odometer than my Fleetwood. I do want an LT1 Fleetwood to make my daily driver and take my '89 and turn her into a weekend fun car seeing as she is getting older and probably going up in value. I don't think this is a bad car, I don't care that it's a base Fleetwood since I have my fancypants Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance, I just want this one to use to get around, Caddystyle. Plus the LT1 entices me. I ain't offering no $3,000 for an 11 year old car with 134k so what would be fair to offer? If I were to get this car I could take lots of the responsibility off my precious baby. I'll try to snap some pics of it tomorrow when I pass it on my way to Route 80 going to school. It's the same red as my car which turns me on to it. Opinions?
If I really liked the car I'd offer $2.5k. That is a good deal for a 94 in decent condition regardless of mileage.

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
Sounds nice, and I too would go for the $2500 offer...mileage means next to nothing on these beasts if they've been treated well and it is still an LT1 car, so it does have some value;)

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
I paid $3800 for mine, and feel it was worth it. It is a FWB with the rare and elusive V4P package. It runs like a bat, like having a sports car with ride of a firm riding Cadillac (FE2 suspension).

If you can get $2500 to $3K, it is likely worth it if it is in good shape. It is much more reliable than the 307, mainly due to the EFI, not the actual engine. No more carb! The LT1 is a great runner, you will welcome the nice boost in power.

And most people favor lack of the covered roof. Red is an unusual color if you ask me.

Get a good picture of the SPID and post it, you can decode it easily on the net, it is interesting to see what cool options it might have.

Mine? Missing only the Astroroof, Full size spare, SunGate windshield and a couple very minor options. Best guess is it was $43K new. Considering the new price to the current price, that is a GREAT deal.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
N0DIH said:
I paid $3800 for mine, and feel it was worth it. It is a FWB with the rare and elusive V4P package. It runs like a bat, like having a sports car with ride of a firm riding Cadillac (FE2 suspension).

If you can get $2500 to $3K, it is likely worth it if it is in good shape. It is much more reliable than the 307, mainly due to the EFI, not the actual engine. No more carb! The LT1 is a great runner, you will welcome the nice boost in power.

And most people favor lack of the covered roof. Red is an unusual color if you ask me.

Get a good picture of the SPID and post it, you can decode it easily on the net, it is interesting to see what cool options it might have.

Mine? Missing only the Astroroof, Full size spare, SunGate windshield and a couple very minor options. Best guess is it was $43K new. Considering the new price to the current price, that is a GREAT deal.

No '93-96 Fleetwood ever really went much over the $40k MSRP mark. Here's a list for the '94 year, specifically:

Base Price: $33,990

FLEETWOOD CONVENIENCE/APPEARANCE OPTIONS:

* Security Pkg. $545
* Astroroof $1,550
* Coachbutider Pkg. $755
* Funeral Cooch Pkg. $910 credit
* Brougham Cloth int. $1,680
* Brougham Leather Int, $2,250
* H.D. Livery Pkg. $150
* Leather Seating (Fleetwood)$570
* Auto Day/NightMirror $110
* Sungate Windshield $50
* ETR AM/FM Stereo Radio w/CD & Cassette $396
* Full Vinyl Roof (Fleetwood) $925
* Full-size Spare $95
* Chrome wheels $1,195.

For whatever reason, the Tow Pack. is missing from this list, but it is listed in this '93 option list:

# VAP Trailer Towing Pkg. $70
# Security Pkg. $545
# Astroroof $l,550
# Coachbuilder Pkg. (N/C)
# Funeral Coach Pkg. ($1,405 credit)
# Brougham Cloth Int. $1,680.
# Brougham Leather Int. $2,250
# H.D. Livery Pkg. $150
# Leather Seating (Fleetwood) $570
# Auto Day/Night Mirror $110.
# Firemist Paint $190
# AM/FM Stereo Radio w/CD & Cassette $396
# Full Vinyl Root $925
# Full-size Spare $51

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
1993 was a lot cheaper, 1994 was more.

According to http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/cfb.html:
MSRP* (Fleetwood): 37,695.00 (Includes Destination)
MSRP* (Brougham): 40,100.00 (Includes Destination)

* Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price
Now, mine having all but a very few options.
SECURITY PACKAGE ($360.00)
Leather seating areas ($785.00
7000 lbs. Trailer Towing Package ($215.00)
Full Padded Vinyl Roof ($925.00)
AM Stereo/FM Stereo w/ Cassette and Single-Slot CD Player ($200.00)

That alone totals up to $42585.00, not inlcuding anything the dealer might have tacked on.

My only question is the padded roof, isn't it std on a FWB but optional on a FW? I thought it was a no cost delete.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
N0DIH said:
1993 was a lot cheaper, 1994 was more.

According to http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/cfb.html:
MSRP* (Fleetwood): 37,695.00 (Includes Destination)
MSRP* (Brougham): 40,100.00 (Includes Destination)

* Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price
Now, mine having all but a very few options.
SECURITY PACKAGE ($360.00)
Leather seating areas ($785.00
7000 lbs. Trailer Towing Package ($215.00)
Full Padded Vinyl Roof ($925.00)
AM Stereo/FM Stereo w/ Cassette and Single-Slot CD Player ($200.00)

That alone totals up to $42585.00, not inlcuding anything the dealer might have tacked on.

My only question is the padded roof, isn't it std on a FWB but optional on a FW? I thought it was a no cost delete.
Hmm...I wondered why my info. said the exact same prices for both model years.

As for the Vinyl Roof, it was included as a standard feature when you got the Brougham package and, like you said, could also be deleted for no cost. But, if you were getting a "base" car without the Brougham package (and therefore, no vinyl), the vinyl roof was an extra cost option.

Wonder why the pricing seems so different between '93 and '94? I know there's the LT1 factor, but that should have been minimal...hmm...

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
N0DIH said:
You saying that once again has me thinking that I REALLY should look more into a '94 or newer FW with the LT1 when I start seriously searching come spring. As is, I still swear that the '93 TBI car we have now has some unbelievable balls for only being rated at 185 horses, but a little more never hurts.

Actually, more than that, I'd gladly take another TBI '93 if I could get it to ride and handle just like you describe: "...like having a sports car with ride of a firm riding Cadillac (FE2 suspension)."

Probably been mentioned before, but what all makes up the FE2? Mainly stiffer springs, or is there something else? I think one mod. I'd definately make is a set of the "stiff" Bilsteins all around, but I'm wondering if those would be a very good match for the stock "soft" springs or not. Like the standard ride in the car we have, but I'd LOVE it if it didn't float around so damn much or feel so loose--a nice firm and crisp feel that's still very supple (a lot like both the Avalanche we had and now the Suburban), would be awesome.

There's also SS springs, and from what I've read, I think I'd enjoy the SS coils/Bilsteins combo the most, but not sure about the look of the drop. Well, unless I really went all out and also did SS wheels to match...

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham (some show and some go!)
607 Posts
davesdeville said:
3k is fair. Hell, 3k is a good deal.
:yup: That is exactly what I was thinking! If she is in good mechanical shape, then that is a good price for a 94 FW.

caddycruiser said:
a set of the "stiff" Bilsteins all around, but I'm wondering if those would be a very good match for the stock "soft" springs or not.
The stock coil springs were matched to work with the air ride suspension, and from what I've read the springs are not strong enough to really hold up the weight of the car with an aftermarket standard (non-air ride) shock. SO if you want performance shocks then I think you must get new coil springs to go with them.

Come springtime I hope to finally throw in my Impala SS springs to get a lower stance and better handling. New shocks for performance reasons will be needed, of course. But for kicks I think I might try the factory air shocks and SS springs and see what the springs themselves do for performance. The air ride adjuster arm must be bent slightly since the stance will be lower, but from what I've read this is a minor modification.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Being I didn't have the $$ or time to drop in the Bilsteins, I went for the Gabriel Ultra shocks on the front. So far, honestly, they are doing pretty well. Better than I expected. They are 9C1 on the front (still have to replace the rear), so they are much more HD than the "stock" ones. They are nearly 2x thicker!! They are monsters when you compare them side by side.

Go drive an LT1 and compare. I have heard down in the low end they are the same as the L05, but once you get up in the rpms, the LT1 shines like no tomorrow. Being I haven't driven an L05 in 6 years, I can't compare, and that was a 3.73 geared Suburban L05. Did well for such a tank.... I know, I have a Vortec 350 Suburban now. The Vortec is a little weaker in the low, but is much stronger up top.

I don't think I am changing springs anytime soon, they seem fine, and with all my driving, I don't want to be punished for a excessive firm ride. People complain that Lincolns ride so much better than my Fleetwood. Maybe they do, I am not a fan of mushy rides either. Maybe my butt has changed firmness.... I look at my 80 Turbo T/A as riding firm now, but back in the "older days" I remember complaining it was too soft (F41 suspension, not WS6) and wanting WS6 springs and to cut them 1in (which stiffens them). So I guess my tastes have changes some too. I miss the stable T/A too. The FWB is nice though, the FE2 suspsension is really as stiff as you probably would like in the big car, you don't get bounced around badly, the suspension actually works over bumps well. No hop problems (common with stiff springs), etc.

Just my humble opinion.... But I can expect FE1 to be too soft for me....

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
N0DIH said:
Being I didn't have the $$ or time to drop in the Bilsteins, I went for the Gabriel Ultra shocks on the front. So far, honestly, they are doing pretty well. Better than I expected. They are 9C1 on the front (still have to replace the rear), so they are much more HD than the "stock" ones. They are nearly 2x thicker!! They are monsters when you compare them side by side.

Go drive an LT1 and compare. I have heard down in the low end they are the same as the L05, but once you get up in the rpms, the LT1 shines like no tomorrow. Being I haven't driven an L05 in 6 years, I can't compare, and that was a 3.73 geared Suburban L05. Did well for such a tank.... I know, I have a Vortec 350 Suburban now. The Vortec is a little weaker in the low, but is much stronger up top.

I don't think I am changing springs anytime soon, they seem fine, and with all my driving, I don't want to be punished for a excessive firm ride. People complain that Lincolns ride so much better than my Fleetwood. Maybe they do, I am not a fan of mushy rides either. Maybe my butt has changed firmness.... I look at my 80 Turbo T/A as riding firm now, but back in the "older days" I remember complaining it was too soft (F41 suspension, not WS6) and wanting WS6 springs and to cut them 1in (which stiffens them). So I guess my tastes have changes some too. I miss the stable T/A too. The FWB is nice though, the FE2 suspsension is really as stiff as you probably would like in the big car, you don't get bounced around badly, the suspension actually works over bumps well. No hop problems (common with stiff springs), etc.

Just my humble opinion.... But I can expect FE1 to be too soft for me....
So, besides the aftermarket shocks you have on, what's really different with the FE2? Spring rates only? Or also things like roll bars? This is just the code name for the Towing Package suspension, correct?

I do understand perfectly what you are talking about though--right now, the stock marshmallow suspension on the '93 FWB is just a little too all over the place for me. Truth be told, that's the reason why I can NEVER ride in the back seat, because the 2 or 3 times I have, I got sea sick...LITERALLY. Still seems like the shocks and springs are working perfectly normal, just are tuned for the excess float to begin with. Yours sounds just like something I would like, though--still soft luxury, but not to the extreme that you get sea sick...

·
Registered
93 fleet, 95 fleet, 59 impala
728 Posts
3,000 is a good deal my buddy paid 5500 for his last year with about the same miles, they are really hard to find in this area though.

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance|2018 Chevy Colorado Z71
6,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll have to stop and take pics of it tomorrow, I didn't get a chance today. Do you mean get the VIN number to decode? I'll get that too.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
DopeStar 156 said:
I'll have to stop and take pics of it tomorrow, I didn't get a chance today. Do you mean get the VIN number to decode? I'll get that too.
No, the SPID label on the underside of the trunklid--lists all the options, color codes, etc.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts