Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2006, 2014 CTS, Currently 2018 XT5
344 Posts
I think it's useful for people who go the distracted driving route. Texting, reading, applying eye make up or my favorite from child hood, Mama swinging her arm back and forth in the back seat
while driving trying to connect with me and my sister and brother. In the 6 months I have had the CTS it has sounded off 2 to 3 times. It beat my reaction time
by a second or two. Once it sounded off at the same time my brain was telling my foot to apply the brakes.

For some people it's a life saver, For others it's useless. Just one more safety device they came up with.

·
Registered
2014 CTS PREMIUM SEDAN 3.6 RWD
1,019 Posts
Mine has sounded off twice. Both times it was faster than my reaction time. Had it not sounded, I would have been in a accident. I love my CTS.

·
Registered
1994 Eldo TC, 1998 ETC, 1998 STS, 2014 CTS, 2016 CTS, 2017 CTS Premium AWD
387 Posts
It is not a replacement for competent, attentive driving. It does, however, definitely help.

Real world example: Was traveling at speed with traffic on a highway. Up ahead an SUV towing a boat inexplicably cut across three lanes of traffic--unsignaled--because they realized they were not on the right side of the road to exit to the NYS Thruway. I saw it as soon as it was visible to me, but cars up ahead (not even the car in front of me) had started slamming on their brakes. The second I saw what was happening, the warning was alerting flash, our seatbelts pre-tensioned and the brakes were ready to go.

Did it prevent an accident? No. I did, but driving. Did it help and was it reassuring? Absolutely.

·
Registered
2009 CTSV Auto
1,077 Posts
None of the above posts talk about brakes being applied. Only that the "the warning was alerting flash" , sound was heard and that drivers slammed on the brakes.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Refer to page 9-55 of the manufacture manual. It will explain, the Active Emergency Breaking System, the Intelligent Braking Assist and the Auto Collision Preparation. The car will brake.

·
Registered
1994 Eldo TC, 1998 ETC, 1998 STS, 2014 CTS, 2016 CTS, 2017 CTS Premium AWD
387 Posts
It will apply the brakes if you don't. It shouldn't ever come to that, though. I certainly wouldn't want to try it out.

I know it works, though, because on two occasions when backing up, in the winter after the car has been washed, the rear sensors have registered a false positive and hit the brakes. The car stopped abruptly and both times I got out to make sure there wasn't something there I didn't see and hit. That's certainly what it felt like. The same time happened once when I was moving forward. As a result, I turn that feature off in the winter when there could be ice on the sensors.

In the situation I discussed above on the highway, the car may have actually started braking a split second before I hit the brakes.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The manual also states, the brakes may be applied so hard that the Electronic Parking Brake may also engage. I think that says it all.

·
Registered
2006, 2014 CTS, Currently 2018 XT5
344 Posts
Is applying the brakes an option on top of the alert. Or does everyone who has the alert have the auto brake?
My 2014 CTS has the "Forward Collision Alert" But doesn't have the "Automatic Braking". On the 14' models they had the "Driver Awareness Package" and
the "Driver Assist Package". The Driver Assist Package has the auto brake feature along with auto seat belt tightening. The Driver Awareness Package has forward
collision alert, Lane Departure Warning etc. On the 2015 models everything is included in One Package.

·
Registered
04 CTS, 08 CTS, 12 CTS Prem, 14 CTS Prem, 16 ATS-V, 18 CTS-V
252 Posts
Mine stopped me once when I was texting and the car in front of me was turning right into a neighborhood and i didnt catch it. (yea i know texting and driving is bad) The only other time its actually engaged the brakes was turning right at a light with a car in front of me, not sure if it thought i got too close to the car or it misread the curb but it was a split second of "wtf is going on why isnt my car moving," kinda awesome the override is to just hammer down on the throttle (or apply the brakes.) The auto braking during backing up is the major and embarrassing pain, if you're approaching faster than the car likes it throws on the ABS causing you to skid into a spot and grabbing everyone around yous attention.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts