Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
cts
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just thought I'd introduce myself to the forum - I bought the 3.6 CTS about three weeks ago and so far so good! The only thing is that the dashboard lighting dulls down dramatically with the lights on occasionally - very intermittent though and it sorts itself out.

I saw the post below from the prospective UK buyer and I can certainly understand his concerns but the cars seem to be fundamentally sound so hopefully all will be well! Bit of a gamble though as there are only four dealers in the whole country.

The importer has sold about 40 used ones in the past month or so at very heavily discounted prices so at least the marque is having a bit of a kick start. It is very difficult to sell in to the prestigious sector (paricularly without a good diesel engine) of the UK market due to domination by the German manufacturers. My car has been doing 23mpg average which is very low compared to 40 mpg big diesels but I am a low mileage driver so this was factored in to the equation.

In 2005/06 the CTS 3.6 cost GBP30,000 new or approximately $60,000. BMW's were not much more. Now, three years old with 5k - 10k miles on the clock the importer has been quoting GBP 5000 - 7000 for a 2.8 or 3.6 so I decided to step in.

Great forum and I will let everyone know how things go.

Regards

·
Registered
None (yet)
3 Posts
Hi buddy,

good to see a fellow uk member on here! do you have any pics of the car? did you source it from stratstone?

·
Registered
2004 3.6 auto
140 Posts
Wow.

So you're saying a 2005-2006 CTS 3.6 with under 10,000 miles, only costs $10,000 - $14,000 U.S. dollars?

Even if they never had thier oil changed, you still have a practically new car!

Sheesh! What the heck is the importer paying for them!

$10k to $14k for these years generally means they have 40,000+ miles on them on this side of the pond.

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
That's a great deal you got indeed. :welcome5: to the forums. Thanks for signing up.

·
Registered
Cadillac
376 Posts
yeah I get about 20 but I am a lead foot. I can squeak the mileage higher if i take it easy

congrats on a good deal. this is the place for the info. do all the interior lights dim? The the over head lighting?

or is it the entire system. I would have someone look outside to see if they are dimming the entire car. Sounds like a "charging" issue maybe with the alternator.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
there is a sensor that automatically dims the dashboard lights when it gets dark out. It's a little bubble on top of the dash near the windshield. Check and see if it's dirty maybe

Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
cts
4 Posts
I had to buy one as well red line with cashmere and the V grill for extra bling!! The car is great 3.6 with Nav I have owned before a 99 STS which was in Crimson and that was a great car!
Stratstone are giving them away!!! New CTS 09 for £20k 3.6 loaded with NAV.

·
Registered
cts
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My initial 'quick reply' did not register so I'm trying again (apologies if it does so later!)

Thanks for the welcome and tips re the dashboard dimming!

Re the points raised:

Yes Strats have been selling them very cheaply indeed - they're all about three to four years old and low mileage so have possibly been depreciated in the company accounts to a 'clear out' level, hence the prices. They have been sitting around for a long time though.

Pics of mine will be posted after I've cleaned it over the weekend!

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
My initial 'quick reply' did not register so I'm trying again (apologies if it does so later!)
did you get a security token error? if so and you are using quick reply, copy the text in the reply box, reload the page, and paste the text back into the quick reply box. hit submit and it should work.

·
Registered
cts
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
did you get a security token error? if so and you are using quick reply, copy the text in the reply box, reload the page, and paste the text back into the quick reply box. hit submit and it should work.
Thanks Jimmy - nothing appeared at all and I left it a while so inputted again. I will use your guide in future.

Re your comment about the cost of CTS's in the UK in the post below, I would just say that these prices are almost a 'market anomaly'. This is the importer taking drastic action to clear a backlog.

This said, 2008/09 models have just started to be discounted heavily in the face of a very difficult market. List is GBP30,000 but now available new for GBP20,000. There's a silver 3.6 full spec in the Strats Park Lane London showroom that's been in there for months.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts