Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a white diamond 2000 STS w/ 33K mi. and looking forward to making this car "Better" than new. The car is clean, not a scratch (except for that nick in the windshield, DAMN!). I've read that these cars drink a lot of oil, not looking forward to that, but I'll sacrifice a little oil for the HP. I'm currently looking for some new rubber, so if anyone can tell me what brand/model tire seems to be the best fit/function given the stubborn suspension/vibration issues I've been reading about it would be greatly appreciated!!! (I'm going to stick with the 16" chromes for now). Well off to the forums to get some more HP tips, later.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
tryn2befree said:
I just purchased a white diamond 2000 STS w/ 33K mi. and looking forward to making this car "Better" than new. The car is clean, not a scratch (except for that nick in the windshield, DAMN!). I've read that these cars drink a lot of oil, not looking forward to that, but I'll sacrifice a little oil for the HP. I'm currently looking for some new rubber, so if anyone can tell me what brand/model tire seems to be the best fit/function given the stubborn suspension/vibration issues I've been reading about it would be greatly appreciated!!! (I'm going to stick with the 16" chromes for now). Well off to the forums to get some more HP tips, later.
WELCOME!!!

White Diamond is a great color on any caddy.

About the nick in the windshield if you take it to a glass repair shop they can "fill" that in for you.
For your tires everythign depends on money I have no real preference except whats on sale. Others will chyme in with there 2 cents.

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood
2,536 Posts
Need more information on what kind of driving before I recommend tires. Also your location. If you're planning on hard driving performance, in non snowy areas, step up to 18's and drop the Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Positions on. They're not long life tires, but grip like you wouldn't believe.
For a gentler ride, Michelin's got a nice set of tires. The Pilot Sport is my current set, and they ride pretty good, but traction's not exactly peak. Ack! Gotta get to class.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
ShadowLvr400 said:
Need more information on what kind of driving before I recommend tires. Also your location. If you're planning on hard driving performance, in non snowy areas, step up to 18's and drop the Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Positions on. They're not long life tires, but grip like you wouldn't believe.
For a gentler ride, Michelin's got a nice set of tires. The Pilot Sport is my current set, and they ride pretty good, but traction's not exactly peak. Ack! Gotta get to class.
HEY phil,

You mind recomending a tire for me then. I have little knowledge about tires and what are good. I have owned a truck for so long and those tires were expensive i always bought the pep boys tires i didn't care.
My driving is normal driving except every once in awhile i like to corner around a turn decent. Right now i have a horrible set of coopers original on. I looked up the price and they were $40. a pop. I have 16" rims and would like to stay that way.

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
Welcome, tryn2befree!

Sure seems like a lot of people picking up late-model Sevilles out there. Maybe I ought to take a closer look at them before I make a final decision.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
STS Tires

I took the plunge today and picked up a set of Bridgestone Turanza LS-H tire, I'll let you know how they work out...My driving style is what you could say "a little aggressive", I like to punch it and give the horses a workout as well as slam into corners (I know - I will drop it and add 18" ers when I get the $$$) noise and overall performance were my main points...I'll keep you posted!

later

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
Re: STS Tires

Every car's different, and every tire is different on every car. A tire that may be great on one car could absolutely SUCK on another.

But, FWIW, I like Bridgestone, and I have a set of Turanza-T's on my Prelude.

They're a little noisy between 50-55 mph, but other than that, they've been a good buy. They stick pretty well, and the sidewalls are firm enough that I don't feel a lot of sway in the twisties.

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood
2,536 Posts
Oh, you forgot to mention if you wanted whitewall or blackwall, or even a white letter... And size :p Get me all those, and your driving style, and mileage you want from the tires, and I'll see what I can do. Oh, and prices you'd like, but don't bet on it. :)

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
ShadowLvr400 said:
Oh, you forgot to mention if you wanted whitewall or blackwall, or even a white letter... And size :p Get me all those, and your driving style, and mileage you want from the tires, and I'll see what I can do. Oh, and prices you'd like, but don't bet on it. :)
I would like to get blackwall, for size i would like something that would look good on 16". My driving style is old man 75% and 25% floor off the line till i get to 50 then coast. I really don't race around at all. unless its straight. I do like to take corners decent with out screeching. Milage at least 25,k if that is normal. Like i said before i really don't know that much about tires. Money no more than 175 a tire.
thanks man

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just discovered the site; it looks like there's lots of interesting information too. I have a 2000 STS with 54000 miles. It's a great car. As for tires, upon delivery of the car I replaced the 16" wheels and tires with DTS 17" wheels with 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles. They lasted 45000 miles--actually, there was probably another 5000 miles on them. But, Costco had a sale on Bridgestone tires--$60 off a set of four. I replaced the 235/55s with 255/50 Bridgestone Potenza 730s. They set me back about $600 total. They are quieter than the Goodyears, and they do grip--I took a sweeping right turn onramp from one freeway to another the other day at 85 and the car was incredibly stable with no squeal at all. Next step, to replace the exhaust system with a Bazanni exhaust system from XMS sports in San Diego--that's about $1000, but it will replace stifled sound of stock exhaust with some mellow tones.

tryn2befree said:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts