Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'14 SRX4 Premium silver-coast/shale-brownstone
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a bit of a quirk on the main forum lists on https://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/

In cases where there are multiple sub-forums, clicking the Main Name goes to a page that lists the sub-forums (eg, various model generations). But some forums only have one model generation, and clicking the Main Name goes to a page with only the one sub-forum listed. But some Main Names jump straight into the single sub-forum since there IS only the one.

Can all the Main Name hyperlinks for items which only have one sub-forum go straight into the only sub-forum and save having the to click twice to get into it?

Eg, XTS has only one, same with CT4 and CT5. There is no sub-forum drop down beneath these Main Names, and the Main Name jumps into the only sub-forum. Yet on the XT6, the XT4, CT6 and more DO have the sub-forum drop down beneath the Main Names yet only have one sub-forum, and the Main Name links to a forum list of only the one forum. Seems odd to me.

Might be my OCD, but consistancy would be appreciated.

Max

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
7,852 Posts
Yeah, I find the lack of consistency a little annoying, too. I'll try to get the admins to fix that, but I can't promise it will happen all that quickly. Unfortunately, fixing forum layout stuff like this tends to result in other side effects, like nobody being able to post in the forum in question. :rolleyes:

Edit: At the end of the year there will be some reorganizing going on, as the ATS, CTS, and XTS forums all get moved to the Past Vehicles section (since 2019 is the last model year for all of those). That will probably be a good opportunity to address the consistency of the other vehicle forums.

Note that making them consistent is probably going to do the opposite of what you want to do, in order to set things up for the future. Presumably, now that Cadillac has gone to all of these alphanumeric model names, they're going to stick with it for a while. So, under the CT4, CT5, XT4, XT5, etc parent forum, eventually there will be a 1st gen sub-forum, a 2nd gen sub-forum, and so on - like the CTS forums are now. It's easier to make the 1st gen sub-forum now, rather than waiting until later and having to move all of the threads out of the "main" model forum into the appropriate sub-forum.

·
Administrator
2,318 Posts
I've noticed a bit of a quirk on the main forum lists on https://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/

In cases where there are multiple sub-forums, clicking the Main Name goes to a page that lists the sub-forums (eg, various model generations). But some forums only have one model generation, and clicking the Main Name goes to a page with only the one sub-forum listed. But some Main Names jump straight into the single sub-forum since there IS only the one.

Can all the Main Name hyperlinks for items which only have one sub-forum go straight into the only sub-forum and save having the to click twice to get into it?

Eg, XTS has only one, same with CT4 and CT5. There is no sub-forum drop down beneath these Main Names, and the Main Name jumps into the only sub-forum. Yet on the XT6, the XT4, CT6 and more DO have the sub-forum drop down beneath the Main Names yet only have one sub-forum, and the Main Name links to a forum list of only the one forum. Seems odd to me.

Might be my OCD, but consistancy would be appreciated.

Max
I can appreciate this being frustrating. For the moment we are working though a bug the sites forum lists and I cant make any changes to the order of the forums. To clarify, you want all the subforums to show on the list of forums without having to open them?
-Philip

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,161 Posts
Probably best to let sleeping dogs lie lest we create forum/sub-forum title bars that are very heavy with text. BUT if a main vehicle forum has only one sub-forum, then why the unnecessary extra "start discussion" click there ?

Some years ago forums and sub-forum title bars were discussed and IIRC the consensus was to allow for subsequent "generation" sub-forums within a particular model run. Vehicle models with a short expected model run were left with one title bar/forum. Those with an expected long life were awarded the ability to add later generation sub-forums.

·
Registered
'14 SRX4 Premium silver-coast/shale-brownstone
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Phil, no, not my intent. Just leave until after full updates done in new year and we'll see how it looks.

Max

1 - 7 of 7 Posts