Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
01 Cadillac Seville STS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using something in particular? I am kinda leaning toward picking up datamaster or something along those lines. I have had scanning software in the past for my OBD1 cars but something for OBD2 would be great. I have found having a direct link to the data stream can really help narrow things down fast.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
The car provides you with ALL the codes, present or history up to 50 ignition cycles.
It also data log and this data can be accessed with a TechII tool (~$4000).
A aftermarket OBDII reader is the most useless investment you can make for a Cadillac, you spend money for something that is not as good as what is already included in the car.
If it were a previous generation OBDII Seville, Deville or any Eldorado you even have control over most inputs and outputs (from the override menus).
OBDI cars are even better from this point of view, you have even more control (including injectors, transmission solenoids...).

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
only thing i like about OBD2 is they dont put them on a wheel spin and drive them during emissions testing
they just hook up a scaner and test it like that

only thing i hate about OBD1 is the total oposite they drive them and spin them and mess up cars at times

·
Registered
01 Cadillac Seville STS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not talking about a handheld scanner. I am referring to a software package along with a cable that will allow me to monitor the data stream with my laptop. I was just looking to see if anyone had a software they had luck with.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS
50 Posts
I run the "Torque" android app on my Droid using a bluetooth OBD port to capture real time data via a csv file that can be sent to my laptop. Works pretty well. From what I can tell so far it doesn't have the entire datastream but there are quite a few items captured.

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
Anyone using something in particular?
I have used the BR-3 interface in the link below to log powertrain activity to my laptop for many years. Parameters such as intake air temperature, pressure and flow rate. O2 sensor activity (graphical) and fuel trim %. A fairly long list.

Download the software and run it in "Simulate Mode" to get a better picture of the possibilities.

And of course it is an excellent Powertrain code reader for the family fleet of alphabet soup vehicles.

http://obddiagnostics.com/index.html

·
Registered
2006 XJ, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(
1,180 Posts
I have used the BR-3 interface in the link below to log powertrain activity to my laptop for many years. Parameters such as intake air temperature, pressure and flow rate. O2 sensor activity (graphical) and fuel trim %. A fairly long list

http://obddiagnostics.com/index.html
I've been looking for something like that for ages! I think that's exactly what I need to finally diagnose the fuel trim issues on my Impala :) Thanks for posting that!

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
I've been looking for something like that for ages! I think that's exactly what I need to finally diagnose the fuel trim issues on my Impala :) Thanks for posting that!
Glad to contribute. Good luck diagnosing the Impala fuel issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts