Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ford: Japanese Hogging Hybrid Parts

Ford's ready to offer more hybrid vehicles to the American public, but the company's executives are pointing the finger at Japanese carmakers and suppliers for the holdup. Together, Ford execs say, they're engaging in "predatory" tactics that are limiting the hybrid components Ford can purchase. Ford Chief Operating Officer Jim Padilla told the Reuters Summit in Detroit that it's a supply issue relating to several technologies that Ford licenses from Toyota and parts that it purchases from Sanyo Electric Co. Padilla added that Ford is "working with multiple suppliers and alternatives" to find another way to build more hybrids, but that prospect is even more expensive than using existing suppliers. Ford sells the Escape Hybrid and plans gas-electric versions of the Fusion sedan and Mariner SUV. Toyota, meanwhile, says it hopes to sell 250,000 hybrids worldwide this year, Reuters adds.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto_News/Daily_Edition/Daily_Edition_Sep_21_2005.S173.A9286.html

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Everyone rants and raves about the need to buy domestic and keep as much manufacturing here as possible, seems to me like Ford needs to figure out a way to develop and produce the parts from the domestic market, perhaps with other domestic manufacturers if it does not want to be at the mercy of foreign suppliers.

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
Playdrv4me said:
Everyone rants and raves about the need to buy domestic and keep as much manufacturing here as possible, seems to me like Ford needs to figure out a way to develop and produce the parts from the domestic market, perhaps with other domestic manufacturers if it does not want to be at the mercy of foreign suppliers.
I agree. They shouldn't be bitching about this, it's their own damn fault for being dependent on a foreign source.

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
WAIT!! :cop:

You guys say that it's Fords' own fault for not developing its' own technology and relying upon a foreign company for supply and for being slow to develop and for being at the mercy of a foreign supplier, and and and ... ... BUT we all know that down deep in the bowels of the Japanese mentality that IF they wanted to: REPEAT, if they wanted to, they could up production and grant Ford what Ford seeks. We know from past experience this is their way of dominating the market for this type of engine! You are quick to take the Japanese view.

BUT, why are you so slow to endorse limiting the importation of Asian goods (vehicles, come to mind) in our market? The Japanese market limits the amount of American cars that can enter, and makes many many many demands on costly changes that have to be made to our cars in order to be sold there.

Did you know that in Japan that you must BUY a parking space and that once you buy it - it is yours? Your name goes on it. Did you know that parking spaces are ONLY sold to owners of Japanese cars? Ummmm, where's the UNfair crys now?
Did you know that when you go for your driver's test, you must show up in a Japanese vehicle?
Did you know that when you take your car for yearly "inspection" the cost of running the facility is absorbed by the offset of charging the equalivlent of $100.00 to American cars, because "they are more difficult to test" !

I hear NO crying over any of this. Do you pay taxes on your commercial real estate, or on your home? Do you know that Toyopet in Kansas that built that huge plant that makes Camrys - like a decade ago is enjoying paying absolutely ZERO property taxes and ZERO income taxes to the state of Kansas (or is it Kentuckty - I forget) for 25 years! That alone, would THAT not be worth them sharing technology with us??

What if Ford did not share with Chrysler or GM and each company had to find their own way from start to finish, as you support. Any idea WHAT such would add to the price of new vehicles??
Information has always been shared between manufacturers, as well as some manufacturing. It's the left hand washing the right hand. Only the Japanese manufacturers refuse to do so, and only my fellow Americans rush to defend them. In Japan you'll NEVER EVER hear the Japanese people defend any corporation except their own!!

You think Pontiac could go over to Tokyo and build a plant and make 500,000 cars a year and flood their market? HeII no, if only because WE as an American Corporation are NOT allowed to PURCHASE land over there !! How's THAT for fair play? They can own land here, build 200 to 300 thousand cars a year HERE and pay no taxes on land or income to the state they are making them in !! Fair Play or No Play. In case there's any doubt, I do NOT support nor patronize anything from Japan ...

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
Sandy said:

You guys say that it's Fords' own fault for not developing its' own technology and relying upon a foreign company for supply and for being slow to develop and for being at the mercy of a foreign supplier, and and and ... ... BUT we all know that down deep in the bowels of the Japanese mentality that IF they wanted to: REPEAT, if they wanted to, they could up production and grant Ford what Ford seeks. We know from past experience this is their way of dominating the market for this type of engine! You are quick to take the Japanese view.

BUT, why are you so slow to endorse limiting the importation of Asian goods (vehicles, come to mind) in our market? The Japanese market limits the amount of American cars that can enter, and makes many many many demands on costly changes that have to be made to our cars in order to be sold there.

Did you know that in Japan that you must BUY a parking space and that once you buy it - it is yours? Your name goes on it. Did you know that parking spaces are ONLY sold to owners of Japanese cars? Ummmm, where's the UNfair crys now?
Did you know that when you go for your driver's test, you must show up in a Japanese vehicle?
Did you know that when you take your car for yearly "inspection" the cost of running the facility is absorbed by the offset of charging the equalivlent of $100.00 to American cars, because "they are more difficult to test" !

I hear NO crying over any of this. Do you pay taxes on your commercial real estate, or on your home? Do you know that Toyopet in Kansas that built that huge plant that makes Camrys - like a decade ago is enjoying paying absolutely ZERO property taxes and ZERO income taxes to the state of Kansas (or is it Kentuckty - I forget) for 25 years! That alone, would THAT not be worth them sharing technology with us??

What if Ford did not share with Chrysler or GM and each company had to find their own way from start to finish, as you support. Any idea WHAT such would add to the price of new vehicles??
Information has always been shared between manufacturers, as well as some manufacturing. It's the left hand washing the right hand. Only the Japanese manufacturers refuse to do so, and only my fellow Americans rush to defend them. In Japan you'll NEVER EVER hear the Japanese people defend any corporation except their own!!

You think Pontiac could go over to Tokyo and build a plant and make 500,000 cars a year and flood their market? HeII no, if only because WE as an American Corporation are NOT allowed to PURCHASE land over there !! How's THAT for fair play? They can own land here, build 200 to 300 thousand cars a year HERE and pay no taxes on land or income to the state they are making them in !! Fair Play or No Play. In case there's any doubt, I do NOT support nor patronize anything from Japan ...
AMEN Brother!!!:want:

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Sandy said:

Oh Sandy......I don't know where you got some of these strange ideas....

Must Buy Parking Space?
-No need to own one, name doesn't go on it.... but due to parking shortage you are required to get a "proof of parking" (called shako shomei). basically a cop comes over, measures your parking space to make sure it fits, then makes sure that spot is not already designated for other vehichles, then issue a permit for 50$. Furthermore, cars with engine less than 660CC is exempt from this law.

Parking spaces sold to domestic car owners only?
-No, Parking spaces are sold/leased to ANY car, not just domestics. (how else do you think all those foreign cars get there?)

You must show up at driving test in domestic car
-No. You don't show up to the test in ANY vehichle. (you take the train) You go to the test center, and drive one of their official cars.

Pay a premium for inspections
-True everywhere (even US). Domestics are cheaper to maintain compared to imports. (PS many folks pay 1-2 grand for the inspection (every 2 years btw for new cars), extra 100 bucks is not a big deterrant.

Only domestic firms can buy land
-Not true, many do.

Toyota tax breaks in US unfair
-many company, domestic firms included, get substantial incentives to set up shop in certain locations

And as for Toyota hoarding hybrid parts.....well I don't know if its true. But I am of the opinion that business is business. I don't know if they can ramp up production to meet US needs, and if so if thats feasible. This kinda thinks happen all the time. Take DLP chips made by Texas instruments. They are the patented heart of certain flat panel monitors. But they ship to their domestic friends first, then to offshore 'competition' if they still have supply.

.....getting tired here but I had to set some of this straight.

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
I got it all from the New York Times Newspaper, about a decade ago. I still stand by it as my son had college friends who went to Japan to study and I asked them when they returned and most of it they agreed with, or siad they "had heard about those things".

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
There are many 'urban legends' about foreign countries that people 'had heard about' but doesn't make it true.

I personally spent 20 years in Japan (got drivers license there, bought a foreign car, got a parking space etc etc) so I know first hand that these stories are false.

Hell, I have had people ask me seriously if there are samurais and geishas walking around......folks have weird ideas about places they've never been to.

I am sure about what I wrote in reply #7.
I stand behind it as well.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This all reminds me of when I was at the Hyundai dealership the other day checking out the new Sonata. I said to the salesman "man, they sure stole those taillights off of a Honda Accord? He replied, "that's what Hyundai does, we COPY off all the others and cut the development time and energy in half, Hyundai always did that." :ill:

Just wait until we see how long it takes Chinas' cars get "good" after copying everyone else..

It seems that many blame Ford or GM for their own troubles, but no one seems to blame the Japanese and Koreans for copying everyone else to get where they are today....

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I saw the accord in the Sonata! Funny how the salesdude bragged about it....Looks good though....not many truly original ideas out there anymore

isn't there a saying "If I can think of it, its probably been done"

I always thought this was the most blantant off all:

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
powerglide said:
I saw the accord in the Sonata! Funny how the salesdude bragged about it....Looks good though....not many truly original ideas out there anymore

isn't there a saying "If I can think of it, its probably been done"

I always thought this was the most blantant off all:

Is that shuttle pic for real?! That's their design?? Well. it is a little BIGGER than yours, LOL. Does that mean its better..... :duck:

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Oh yeah...not many people know that the Russians (in the mid 80's) built about three of these. Only one actually flew. They admit 'stealing' the blueprints. Even though they look identical, lots of differences in the way it gets up to space so its not a 'carbon copy' just a 'we made it "better" copy'

read about it here:
http://www.hightechscience.org/buran_space_shuttle.htm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts