Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the mesh grill inserts are made of metal, which makes them an ideal candidate for powder coat. However, the rest of the chrome trim is plastic, meaning it must be painted (powder coating ovens love to melt plastic...it's physics!).

Anyway, did you paint/clear the trim pieces yourselves or take them to a shop for the job? If you did it yourself, did you use plastic specific paint? Do you have a recommendation for a specific paint product? Finally, if you took it to a shop, what did you pay for the work?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Just noticed I cannot spell powder. I mean, really, "poweder" is what my clumsy hands came up with. :/

·
Registered
07 TG V1
89 Posts
Suggest you take the trim to a decal guy/vehicle wrapper. They can match the color and fit the trim for a very reasonable price. This is also un-doable later or re-doable if needed.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had mine painted at a shop - so it looks like black chrome.
That sounds pretty cool. You knew I'd ask this: you have any pics? Also, mind sharing what you paid for the job (an estimate will do).

Suggest you take the trim to a decal guy/vehicle wrapper. They can match the color and fit the trim for a very reasonable price. This is also un-doable later or re-doable if needed.
Interesting proposition. Is this something you had done? I'd think there would be an issue with hiding seams and whatnot. I'd love to see pics...

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kept my surround chrome. It looks better that way...
Agree to disagree. I do think the chrome surround with blackout mesh grill does look good, just it isn't the look I'm going for. I figure if I've got it all apart, then I might as well take the additional steps to do it right.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
4 Posts
Kept my surround chrome. It looks better that way...
Agreed I like that look better, it's a caddy.. gotta keep some chrome!

Question related to this, rather than start a new thread I'll ask here. Does the mesh come off/on from the surround easily? And how do you remove/re-attach the emblem?

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V
181 Posts
instead of having one set of parts powdercoated and another painted, i just had everything painted to keep it uniform. cost me $100 total for gloss black. looks great. save some $$$ and bring the parts to your painter already disassembled. the upper and lower grilles are incredibly easy to take off; it usually takes me about 40 minutes to have the upper and lower grille off, the only tricky part being shoe-horning the lower grille out of the opening.

i might have the re-do the grille in either matte black or dark gunmetal gray next year.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
I'd rather be ununiform and have the grilles powdercoated and looking great forever. Enjoy repainting. Again and again and again...

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Long story short, I'll be taking the plastic parts to a pro shop for painting. Thanks to everyone who chimed-in with ideas/suggestions.

·
Registered
07 TG V1
89 Posts
Prelate, Seams are not an issue as these can be done with one piece. I am doing a Carbon style (not shiny crap looking stuff) on mine. I am waiting for the material. Will eventually post pics. Glad you made up your mind!!

·
Registered
2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes
3,012 Posts
/\ 3m carbon wrap?? :pop2: just the chrome surround right...

the only tricky part being shoe-horning the lower grille out of the opening.
Indeed... only really tricky part

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V, 423 RWHP / 380 RWTQ
578 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes
3,012 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts