Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While waiting for my B&B that's been sitting at my local UPS since 12:01pm today, I decided to remove my factory exhaust. The bottom nuts on both sides were a PITA!

I think when the mechanic installed my shifter and lowered the exhaust, he over torque and/or stripped the nuts.

Anyways, the bottom front flange bolt on the passenger side was Rusted, then as I began to loosen it the bolt was bending, and metal shavings were coming off. The nut and the bolt are stripped.
And Yes, with the bolt bent, the exhaust was hell pulling off! But I wiggled the hell out of it to get it loose.
What should I do. Can I replace this bolt?
Pics included!

The B&B is schedule to be delivered tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I know, I had just spent an hour driving around to find the right tools.
I was not going back out to get WD40. I had plenty before I moved to Kansas, but the movers wouldn't take flammables.

Should I try to put the new one on at all. Or focus more on the stud?

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
I have installed the B&B exhaust and you will need to remove these studs anyways.

The exhaust bolts directly to the flange and instead of using the "Donuts" you just use some regular flat 2 bolt copper gaskets.

Wait until you go to remove those studs, it's not a picnic. when I pulled the exhaust the car was only 6 month's old and one stud was stuck and would not agree. It looks like GM installed this stud wrong by design and a regular wrench will not fit in the nut because of the flanged head.

Soak the hell out of it with Liquid wrench and pull all of the studs out. I doubt they have changed the exaust so I'm fairly sure this is still true. If I were you I would call B&B just to make sure.

I would be prepared to pull those studs.

·
Registered
2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer
4,860 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
Hmmmm....

Interesting, never thought to use the existing donuts it bolts together nicely without the studs and donuts.

I must have put it together incorrectly but I'm happy with the results.

Anyways, I'm sure it would be best to follow Rick's instructions for the installation.

Sorry if I caused any confusion.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The stud P/N below isn't the "right" part number but will work in a pinch...

Exhaust Stud 88891750
Exhaust Nut 11517996

See Step 5 and Step 22 >>> http://www.stealthv.com/b&b_resonator_installation.htm

And I trust you're using this as a guide >>> [B]http://www.stealthv.com/b&b_x-pipe_installation.htm[/B]

Welcome to MH (mod hell). :thumbsup:

Sure did, that's the one I printed out and had under the car with me. That valuable step 5 wasn't on mine.

So I don't need the second nut for B&B correct? I can just get that stainless steel bolt washers on both sides and be done with it?

Thanks For the help. I'm laughing at myself but dreading the fact of my car being on jack stands any longer.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Last dumb question of the night...
In removing the stud, which direction clockwise or counter clockwise do I turn the remaining nut to allow the bolt to screw out of the manifold?
I'm not trying to bore this stud out!

Thank You

1 - 12 of 12 Posts