Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 AWD
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of "tire shine" do you use ? Ive used Armor All tire shine gel, and the regular Amor All, and they both tend to tarnish the wheel if any of it gets on the wheel surface .
These wheels are basically chrome like, at a milky stain shows up if any of the tire shine product gets on them .

I dont know what else to use, so any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
'09 1SB - Crystal Red w/Light Titanium
268 Posts
Here's what I do ...

I have the polished 18's on our CTS and no problems with the tire dressing that I use.

First thing you need to do is make yourself an 18" shield to hold over the wheels when you spray/apply whatever tire dressing you're using. Go here for a company that makes them. Again, it's a VERY simple DIY item to make.

Regarding the tire dressing that I use ... I like a satin finish on tires, not the plastic-looking shiny finish that looks fake. For that reason, I've been using "NO TOUCH - Original Satin Finish" for years on all my cars' tires. Don't believe the no-touch claim, though. On a CLEAN tire, I spray it on (using my wheel shield) and then let it sit for no longer than 5 minutes, before it completely dries ... and then wipe off with a terry cloth towel. Leaves the perfect "look" that I like.

What brand tire dressing are you using? ... so the rest of us can be aware.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 AWD
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your feedback. I have been using Armor all products and never had a problem on my polished aluminum wheels until now.
I have switched over to Mequires, so we will see what happens.
The Armor all leaves a milky stain in the wheel that I need to rub out.

·
Registered
2017 CTS V Crystal White with carbon black
371 Posts

This is one of my chores to that I love/hate. While all of the major tire dressings work for me, I'm forming favorites. (you have the foams, the gels and the oils) I have gravitated to the (oil) spray can that is Meguire's Hot Shine. I'm liking it because, like you, I worry about foams etching my wheels, I had a cheap off brand of foam drip and ruin some wheels for me in the past is why. They get very runny and can ooze onto your wheel in a minute. The oils don't seem to cause these problems and I feel more comfortable with them. An alternative is a sponge and the gel type of tire cleaners.

All of the cleaners I allow to sit for about 10 minutes then I wash the car. Nothing has more than 10 minutes to eat into my wheel clearcoat is my logic.
I'm not saying this is the best method, or the best product but it works for me without doing damage. It looks pretty good also without being too wet.

Richard

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
281 Posts
I use nothing but the Meguar's Hot Shine...it sprays even, lasts long and hasn't caused any damage to my rims. It's a little more expensive than some of the foams, but it's the best I've found.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 AWD
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, Ive switched over to Mequires , so we will see if it causes the same issues.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe
42 Posts
I use Meguiar's gel. The key is applying it evenly with a sponge and letting it set for a while. Doesn't drip and doesn't fly off while driving.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 AWD
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
still doing it with Mequiar's products, so I think its effecting the wax that I use on the wheels....grrrrrr.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts