Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Don't get hysterical- all it does is requires new 2009 and up models sold in FL to meet more strict California regs. All manufacturers (including GM) offer a "California emissions package" as a no-cost option when ordering cars. It consists of a different catalytic converter and PCM retune. Cars with CA emissions still put down the advertised HP.

Basically, it means nothing to our current cars, and in the future (when we buy '09 or later models) that we'll need to take off mods if we live in a county that sniffs.

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
I thought you guys had the Premier Bush's family in control down there too?

·
Registered
CTS-V
238 Posts
Don't get hysterical- all it does is requires new 2009 and up models sold in FL to meet more strict California regs. All manufacturers (including GM) offer a "California emissions package" as a no-cost option when ordering cars. It consists of a different catalytic converter and PCM retune. Cars with CA emissions still put down the advertised HP.

Basically, it means nothing to our current cars, and in the future (when we buy '09 or later models) that we'll need to take off mods if we live in a county that sniffs.
Tony,

You're missing the bigger point -- Florida isn't just adopting California emissions standards, they're also opting in to the new CA greenhouse gas standards that require a 30% reduction in greenhouse gas. You can't remove carbon dioxide with catalytic converters or engine retuning. Since carbon dioxide is the natural product of optimized combustion, the only way to eliminate it is to reduce engine size (or to trap/sequester it). The auto manufacturers are fighting this heavily in the other 11 or so states that have opted to adopt this part of CA's emissions standards. They argue it requires smaller engines/cars (reduced carbon input=reduced output).

Even CA doesn't yet have this as part of their program (its scheduled to take effect with the 2009 model year). The Supreme Court ruled this year against the administration and required EPA to act on CA's petition to EPA to allow this standard. Until EPA grants a waiver, neither CA (nor any other state) can put these greenhouse gas standards into effect. EPA is expected to act on CA's petition this Fall, and Schwartzenegger has threatened to sue if EPA is late or denies their request (CA has never been denied a request for waiver to put its own standards in place in the past).

Ahahnu, just so you know Bush is out in Florida and Charlie Crist (R) is in.

Nikon, no state has ever tailpipe tested for carbon dioxide, so you don't have to worry about that. There is nothing they could fix even if they did and found you had high carbon dioxide emissions.

Brian R.

·
Registered
2004 CTSV(killed), 2005 CTSV(killed that too). 2004 DTS.
1,576 Posts
Charlie Christ is a puppet. 99% of our politicians suck. They keep f'in us with regulation in every part of our lives. We are all too busy working to pay for thier shit to deal with it. Arrrrgh.....I'm joinin a militia.:gungrin::gun2::gun::brutal::blasted::boom:

Go V!

·
Registered
'09 V BR 4dr 6spd,'05 C6R 1400+HP, '05 V BEST EVA!!
2,660 Posts
Charlie Christ is a puppet. 99% of our politicians suck. They keep f'in us with regulation in every part of our lives. We are all too busy working to pay for thier shit to deal with it. Arrrrgh.....I'm joinin a militia.:gungrin::gun2::gun::brutal::blasted::boom:

Go V!
... Or move to The Bahamas. That is my plan, as I am tired of increased taxes without reduction of debt, new legislation for the small business owners, and politicians who spend their entire term figuring how to assist those who put them in office. I have been in mortgages for 18 years and am convinced that if the IRS spent their resources on those who do not file returns or the business owners that operate on a cash-basis only, the Federal Debt would be paid-off in five years and the hard workers in America would pay 25% less taxes.

Okay, sorry for the long-winded comment, but I am venting this morning.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray V
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
... Or move to The Bahamas. That is my plan, as I am tired of increased taxes without reduction of debt, new legislation for the small business owners, and politicians who spend their entire term figuring how to assist those who put them in office. I have been in mortgages for 18 years and am convinced that if the IRS spent their resources on those who do not file returns or the business owners that operate on a cash-basis only, the Federal Debt would be paid-off in five years and the hard workers in America would pay 25% less taxes.

Okay, sorry for the long-winded comment, but I am venting this morning.
Ive got one better. If they could find a way to tax illegals here and in texas this countries debt would be paid off!

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Ive got one better. If they could find a way to tax illegals here and in texas this countries debt would be paid off!
I cannot speak to Florida, but in Texas the "illegals" are heavily taxed. Most our state revenue comes from sales taxes, which illegals pay, severance taxes on oil, which is reflected in the price of gasoline that illegals pay, and the lotto, which applies to the mathematically impaired again including illegals. The only tax on the local rich guys is ad valorem, which the legislature has been trying to repeal. If our "illegals" ever actually went home our tax base would decline.

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray V
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If our "illegals" ever actually went home our tax base would decline.
No because the jobs that they hold would have to paid to americans and income tax would be paid. And if more unemployed americans are working they are spending more there for making up for the decline in taxes collected from illegals. The jobs that they do would have to done by someone. Now that does mean a price increase for things like orange juice and other labor type jobs. And we as a country are helping feed the children that are americans. Im not a racist by any means but when you go to mexico (city) everything is in spanish only. They are not going to change their culture for us. But if you were to walk into walmart here very few (maybe 10%) of even the staff speak english. If you come to this country and learning to speak english is not your main goal.....GO HOME!

Just my .02 for what its worth.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
America has too many issues for this Forum to address. Here are my biggest beefs:

1) National Debt-Debt is $8.8 Trillion, 2006 Interest Payments were $406 Billion
2) Immigration-we have laws that are unenforced, the Legislation which was nayed in Congress called for monies to Mexico to strengthen their healthcare and education system so Nationals would stay in Mexico
3) Social Security will be bankrupt in twenty years, why do I have to pay $14K each year into a failing system
4) Income taxes, I paid more in the past two years that most people pay in a lifetime, the average American family with three kids making $80K/year pays less than $4K/year in Federal Income Taxes
5) Politicians, a waste of humanity, very few make a difference, all thier time is spent inroducing 'new rules' for us to adhere to, but none of them can introduce solutions to make our lives more enjoyable
6) The IRS, they pursue good citizens that file returns and spend no resources on those that never file, by the way their Fort Lauderdale office is in a 'Class AA' building that I am sure is over $30.00/square foot

I have no problems with paying taxes, I am just sick and tired of how it is allocated. Okay, now that is rant number two for the day, I need to get a few drinkies in my system.

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
If our "illegals" ever actually went home our tax base would decline.
Why are we putting quotes around the word illegal?

If they didn't follow the proper procedure to come here, they are in violation of the law, therefore illegal- end of story. Why is everyone so delicate about calling them what they are?

What's next- Democratic legislation to rename them "Legally Challenged" or "Paperwork Bereft Americans"? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
CTS-V
238 Posts
^^^ I know we used to have emissions testing many years ago...I was too young to remember, but what did they test for if not C02?
Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), i.e., hydrocarbons, nitrogen oxides (NOx), and carbon monoxide (the suicide gas). Sometimes they checked CO2 levels to see if you had dilution problems (e.g., exhaust leak).

Now most have moved to OBD code checks, which don't measure emissions at all, but detects faults that could cause or lead to high emissions.

Brian R.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
If they didn't follow the proper procedure to come here, they are in violation of the law, therefore illegal- end of story. :rolleyes:
Dead on my brother, no politician from either party has nutz big enough to introduce stronger legisaltion regarding Immigration for fear of lost votes in future elections; more time has been spent being sensitive and politically correct on this issue than addressing and correcting the real problems. Which segways nicely into my next beef, one-term limits for all politicians, with this in effect they do not have to worried with the concerns of being re-elected.

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray V
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dead on my brother, no politician from either party has nutz big enough to introduce stronger legisaltion regarding Immigration for fear of lost votes in future elections; more time has been spent being sensitive and politically correct on this issue than addressing and correcting the real problems. Which segways nicely into my next beef, one-term limits for all politicians, with this in effect they do not have to worried with the concerns of being re-elected.

Damn Darren your on a roll. Is friday the 13th that bad for you??? :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts