Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
Joined
·
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're in England, have 17,000 pounds, and are in the market for a rare piece of automotive history once owned by one of the most notorious automotive journalists on the planet, you're in luck.

Up for sale on England's AutoTrader website is Jezza's old, hand-built "Cossie" Escort..



It was evidently one of three prototypes built with a larger turbo, and upgraded fuel pump, and a modified head gasket. It's 2.0L turbocharged engine produced 227hp with 34% of the power fed through the front wheels with the remaining 66% going to the rear.

The "standard" Escort Cosworth had a top speed of 147mph, hitting 60 in 5.7 seconds. It's claimed that this modified prototype is even faster.

According to Clarkson, this was one of his all-time favorite cars... he named it "Gary."

The listing can be seen here.
 

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
Joined
·
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He sold it a while ago... and he has more money than he knows what to do with... Considering something one of your favorites doesn't necessarily mean you keep it forever. Anyway... I think he has a Land Rover and a Ford GT now.
 

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
Joined
·
12,114 Posts
Those are supposed to be a mean little car. It just doesn't "do it" for me though. I'm not exactly sure of the exchange rate, but you could add a significant amount of change to the cost to have it shipped to the continental US. You could get a lot more car for the money IMO.
 

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
Joined
·
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's around $34,000... I totally agree talking value for the money compared to the actual specs one could buy a variety of better cars.

I have no idea the collectable status of these cars... being that it was once Clarkson's car means absolutely nothing. Although being a hand-built Cosworth and the relative rarity of it must make it fairly desirable to some.
 

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
Joined
·
34,087 Posts
What's that guy make anyways? Isn't he technically just a journalist?
 

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
Joined
·
34,087 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
Joined
·
1,339 Posts
Hand built prototypes my a***.

As with all Cosworth adverts there's always sometihng "special" about the one being sold.
All Cosworths would have had a new head gasket anyway as they go through them like M&M's and they've all been messed with.

They are AWESOME vehicles though and you'd pay £17K for a mint standard example even without the previous celebrity owner.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top