Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 fleetwood caddy, FWD. The master cylinder is busted, with leaks inside of it, therefore it sucks. I am getting prices quoted at 2600$ to for the part and 2900 all together to complete it. It deals with the ABS tahts why it is so expensive. The question I have for you all. Should I sell it? Or just pay for the damn thing? Engine is perfect still...its so sad if I see it go. Only 126K. ???? Suggestions???

Dealer only makes the part for it. I dunno what to do. So I can't find aftermarket anywhere.

There is no vacuum booster attached to it, its just an electrical pump. Man I am so sad right now.. its unbelivable.:mad:

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
This should be best in the FWD forum.

But, all in all, I replaced my master cyl on my 91 and it was around $50 at NAPA. Make sure you get the right one, they are essentially the same, but the lines come out at different angles. If you have to, get new lines and bend them to the non ABS master cyl.

Possibly you can retrofit a 91 master cyl? Can't be that different. Try to order a master cyl rebuild kit, they are easy to rebuild. Pull a snap ring off, remove guts, put in new seals, put guts back in, clip in snap ring.

Edit: I just reread your post. Sounds like a PowerMaster brake. Check the Buick Grand National Regal, they used PowerMasters. Might be able to adapt that one easier. Go to GNTType.org for more PowerMaster info.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
I think you are talking about the EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module) which controls the ABS. It is expensive. The master cylinder, on the other hand is less than $100 as NODIH mentioned. Financially speaking, it is not worth putting that much money into a car that old. I would try Terrible Ones advice.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
I did check autozone.com and napaonline.com, no dice on 90. I didn't try car-part.com (used) or acdelco.com. ACDelco might have it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts