Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime I hit a bump my passenger foglight shuts off. My driver side still works. I have to switch them off and then turn them back on for both to work again. (This just started acting up) I've had my hid's in since january or so and they havn't ever shut off when I went over a bump!

However, Sometimes when I flash my highbeams one of the foglights doesn't come on... (This was true since my install)

You guys have any ideas. I think it may have something to do with the ballast but I have no idea.

Any help guys

·
Registered
2006 CTS 3.6L
89 Posts
Double check to make sure you don't have any loose wiring, but I've had problems with crappy ballast's also. When I turn my lights on when starting the engine the passenger side HID sometimes won't ignite on the first try. If i flip them on a second time they fire up, something to do with the voltage to the ballast, possibly voltage fluctuation when the engine first turns over not being high enough. I've replaced it once and it appears a little better but still does it once in awhile.

·
Registered
They should make a new model name for mine but I guess a CTS
271 Posts
put a optima red top battery in and all lighting problems go away

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply guys I dont have internet over the weekend

The cheap comes out expensive. You could have bought the good stuff to start with and avoided the headaches.
They weren't rally bulbs or anything stupid like that. They were genuine HID's

When I took it apart I noticed it burned one side of the pins in the harness! I called the dealer and they said it was $209 for the harness and the bulb. That sounds a little too expensive to me. I dont want the bulb but they say thats the only way they sell it!

Is that correct?

Did anyone else have problems with HID's burning there harness. I thought the HID setup would prevent this???

Why did this happen?

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
do you have factory hid's in hid headlights or do you have non-hid headlights with hid's in them?
im talking about the headlight case and projectors... if they are not designed for hid's thee is a chance they dont vent the heat properly.
i really dont know much about lighting.
what harness? do they mean balast?

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
I think the correct halegen bulb is 45w. I tried one of those 55w bulbs and it burned the socket because it's a 20% higher current draw.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the correct halegen bulb is 45w. I tried one of those 55w bulbs and it burned the socket because it's a 20% higher current draw.
VVME advertises there product as a 35w bulb... However, it burned my foglight harness.

I went to the dealer and they said the harness needs to be bought with the actual foglight (not the bulb but the foglight) Which is stupid in my opinion. $260 +/-

1. HOW DID YOU GET YOUR HARNESS? OR WHERE?
2. Do you think I should by a aftermarket harness for the headlights and or foglights In fear of burning them too?

Thanks

·
Registered
2006 CTS 3.6L
89 Posts
Boy ????............... I installed two HID's sets (35W/6000k) Head lights (9005) and Fogs (9145) I just put the Bulbs into the receptacle and plugged the standard old plug (OEM) into the ballast (input) just a standard plug and play, When I bought the HID kit it came with everything. The bulb plugs into the ballast wiring not any original OEM wires, I haven't notice any heat problems yet......
All lights were originall when I bought the car, 9005/9006/9145 are all pretty much the same bulbs I did try the xsst and st series before going to the HID's and even with the brighter bulb never notice any heat issue.....
Hope my luck holds..................

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I first went with Nokya rally bulbs which was a stupid idea and went through harness like crazy. Good thing I always installed the aftermarket harnesses!

However, I didn't think that was necessary for an HID setup.

I know there are others here that have done what we did and had theres for years now with no issue.

WTF happened I have no clue???:rant2:

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
did your car have factory HID's?
did you add another balast to a already factory HID headlight?
is it your fogs that the harness melted?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
did your car have factory HID's?
NO I didn't have Factory HID's
did you add another balast to a already factory HID headlight?
Nope
is it your fogs that the harness melted?
Yes...

Do you know if there is a way for me to buy the foglight harness without paying for the god dam fog lamp!

They say that I need to buy the foglight housing for me to buy the harness which makes no SENSE!:rant2:

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,988 Posts
NO I didn't have Factory HID's

Nope

Yes...

Do you know if there is a way for me to buy the foglight harness without paying for the god dam fog lamp!

They say that I need to buy the foglight housing for me to buy the harness which makes no SENSE!:rant2:
Pay the piper or start making your rounds of the junkyards.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
if i understand correctly what needs to be replaced is the plug the factory fog light bulb connects into and a ittle bit of wire.

my suggustion is to look up the factory bulb type (code) and find another type of car that uses the same bulb, it would have the same harness. either hit up a wreckers or try to order the harness for that vehicle without any sort of lamp assembly. with wire should only have 1 positive and 1 negative.

or you could just splice in the hid harness as suggusted above.

i havent installed hids in my fogs yet...how hard is it to hide the balasts? i have a few other things i want to take care of before i do the hids but they are on the list...hopefully before i buy a newer caddy lol

·
Registered
2006 CTS 3.6L
89 Posts
Ballast placement is easy.... on the bottom of the headlight Assembly there's a open square area (break off the front lip) to place the ballast. A Regular sized ballast fit fine but the slim style fits even better. Tape or fab a bracket to hold in place. The fogs are easy also best to use a slim ballast, I mounted on the flat spot on top of the housing .....simple

Attachments

·
Registered
7,872 Posts

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,814 Posts
Thanks dude but I got really lucky and I bought a set for $15 with 15.99 shipping..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250407856428&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT&viewitem
Sorry to say, but I dont know about your's. But the one that I bought said that it comes with the harness. As for your's, I really hope that you will get the harness as well.

I need the passenger fog anyways, something must of hit it off it's adjustable tracks. And I can't it back on, hate it when this light points down to the ground and all.

KOT

1 - 20 of 20 Posts