Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if anyone has posted this in here or not.

I was at work the other day and were doing a new process to clear the headlamps on the 02-06 Lades . Know how they get all hazy at the top ?

Well we remove both headlamp units , then remove all bulbs and wireing from the headlamps , then pour rubbing alcohol inside the lamps and let it soak for like 15 minutes or more ...then allow them to dry out and put them back in , works great !!!!

·
Registered
53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV
755 Posts
Do you rinse out after? More details please!

·
Registered
2003 Escalade EXT
106 Posts
Please!!! More info... how much alcohol to water? Did you use the 70% alcohol or the 95% etc....

I was affraid I was going to have to buy new lenses at $350 each.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I know someone has had to have tried this,,if not, I'll let everyone know this weekend how well it works, if it does. I guess, I'll start with a light Alcohol mixture and work my way up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well today I decided to give this trick a try. I pulled the headlights out and decided to just try a bit of water to see if that would even do anything without the alcohol. And to my amazement, it works!!! Just plain old water. I ran scolding hot water into one of the bulb sockets and shook the hell out of it side to side. After about 2 or 3 minutes of this I emptied it out, and voila, clear again. After that I took an air hose to every crevice and blew all the water out. Great tip, hope it helps everyone out.

·
Registered
755 Posts
So why are the lights going cloudy at the top then?

·
Registered
97 Posts
well, from what I understand, the daytime running lights get soo hot, they put off a sort of smoke, which clings to the topside of the headlight. I assume the reason it just washes out is because it is only smoke, not actual fogging of the plastic light.

·
Registered
2003 Escalade EXT
106 Posts
well, from what I understand, the daytime running lights get soo hot, they put off a sort of smoke, which clings to the topside of the headlight. I assume the reason it just washes out is because it is only smoke, not actual fogging of the plastic light.
I'm no expert on this particular item, but I'll share my experience and maybe it will help explain? Maybe?

Shortly after I bought my 03, I switched the DRL's from stock to Silverstar Ambers. I did it because I liked the amber DRL's better than "white" and because it made the DRL's and the turnsignals the same irridescent color instead of yellow when they were off. Fast forward a year and the inside of my headlight lenses are fogging up. I did some research and found out that the Silver Stars are hotter than the stock since if I remember correct they operate at 30 Watts or so instead of 22 Watts. Anyway, they actually slightly melted the sockets so they had to go. I switched to LED DRL's and now I want to get rid of the fogging. I'm hoping that this is the issue.... I'm going to try it tonight.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I'm no expert on this particular item, but I'll share my experience and maybe it will help explain? Maybe?

Shortly after I bought my 03, I switched the DRL's from stock to Silverstar Ambers. I did it because I liked the amber DRL's better than "white" and because it made the DRL's and the turnsignals the same irridescent color instead of yellow when they were off. Fast forward a year and the inside of my headlight lenses are fogging up. I did some research and found out that the Silver Stars are hotter than the stock since if I remember correct they operate at 30 Watts or so instead of 22 Watts. Anyway, they actually slightly melted the sockets so they had to go. I switched to LED DRL's and now I want to get rid of the fogging. I'm hoping that this is the issue.... I'm going to try it tonight.

Let us know how it goes! Also get some pics of the LEDs if you can.

·
Registered
97 Posts

good luck,,I was totally stoked when I saw the look of the ultra clear headlights after i washed them out. It was seriously driving my batty looking at the fogged up look.

·
Registered
2003 Escalade EXT
106 Posts
Sorry guys didn't get to yet. The wife took me and the family to a Christmas Craft show instead. Whoohoo! :banghead:

Anyway, I'm staying home watching hockey tonight so I'll try it tonight. I'll even take pics.

·
Registered
2003 Escalade EXT
106 Posts
It works!! I'm amazed. I used hot water with a dab of soap. I used a hair dryer to make sure it was completely dry. Some things I learned: it's smoke from the DRL's it came off white on my finger. IT got all over the reflector too, which dims the lights a bit. I used a cotton ball and some water to wipe the reflector with my finger. It hurts like [email protected]#$ but it worked. There is still a small amount of residue on the reflector that I can't get off. I might try using alcohol on that, but so far it looks good. Much better.

I have pics, but I don't have time right now. They are a bit fuzzy because my camera was fighting to find a focus point in the lens. But you can definitely see the difference! I'm VERY happy now. Only took about a hour from start to finish. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sorry ive been a ghost here , im not getting e mail updates for this thread ....no we didnt rinse them out after the alcohol soulution , seems like it was around 70% alco if memeory serves ....im glad to see you guys picking up on this thread tho , as the fogging is a real bad situation on these hotrods ....

1 - 20 of 64 Posts