Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRX Lux. Cocoa Bronze 3.6 V-6
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headlights, Driving lights, Fog lights, I'm totally confused now. I use to be young at one time, now I'm older and not as up on everything like I use to be. :)
I have a new 2015 SRX Lux. and do not like driving it at night with the Factory Installed IntelliBeam Headlamps. I've read most all the threads here about Fog lights and changing out headlights, I'm more confused than ever. What I want is a good night time driving light, on low beam that will Not blind on coming drivers because I hate that myself. I know nothing about these IntelliBeams and if I can just change out the Bulbs, for lack of another word and be done with it,or be better to install Fogs, that's what I'd like to know. According to my spec. sheet I have Halogen Tungsten headlights. I do not currently have any Fog lights at all. My question is, what is the best way to achieve what i want without blinding other on coming drivers and get the best results for night time driving.
Thanks guys, you have a wealth of knowledge here but some of us older folks just have a harder time figuring it out. Sooooooo Many options.

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac SRX Performance AWD
70 Posts
The IntelliBeam is automatic high beam, if you have that feature enabled in your car, which is under settings in CUE system, it defaults to high beam all the time when you travel over a certain speed, about 40mph I believe. If it detects oncoming traffic it will switch to low beam then back to high beam when oncoming traffic passes by you. Pretty much a smart headlight. I would just leave this feature on all the time if I were you.

You can also put on fog lights as an accessory option, my local dealer was offering to install those parts and labor for like $500. That's basically an extra set of lights on your lower bumper.

·
Registered
2015 SRX Lux. Cocoa Bronze 3.6 V-6
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The IntelliBeam is automatic high beam, if you have that feature enabled in your car, which is under settings in CUE system, it defaults to high beam all the time when you travel over a certain speed, about 40mph I believe. If it detects oncoming traffic it will switch to low beam then back to high beam when oncoming traffic passes by you. Pretty much a smart headlight. I would just leave this feature on all the time if I were you.

You can also put on fog lights as an accessory option, my local dealer was offering to install those parts and labor for like $500. That's basically an extra set of lights on your lower bumper.
So that just applies to the Auto High beams Not the type of headlight. Thanks for that info. It still doesn't quite answer my question. But I appreciate the input.
I could just replace the Bulbs in those with LED's or HID's but what kind, so many to choose from. That's part of my question. Or just leave them and add Fogs. I live in S. Fla. hardly any fog here but they would light up the road Low down and not blind others.

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac SRX Performance AWD
70 Posts
You could replace the bulb to a better brightness bulb such as silverstar they sell at auto parts store/Walmart, it is the easiest and cheapest improvement you can do without any modifications to the car. I don't like aftermarkt HID lights as it requires a different set of electronics that need to be added, I'm not a big fan of aftermarket electronics as it puts extra loads of current than what the car was originally designed to handle. But that's just my opinion.

Those fog lights also help, it lights up the close range better.

·
Registered
77sev(Trd)82Eld(died)92sls(Trd)99sls(Trd)03dts(Trd)07sts,13srx luxury
229 Posts
From what you are asking i think the fog light conversion will help you, they will definitely light up the road 5 to 10 more feet in front of you, but the steal-er will charge $500 or so to install, as for the aftermarket HID kits they are very good when installed right and will triple the distance in front of you they are much!!!cheaper but require more work to install and the luck of the draw coming out of china quality wise :-( I have a 2013 lux and i have done both upgrades factory fog lights and after market low beam HIDS, and me wearing glasses now, the HIDs have made night driving easy again, HIDS will light up a street sign 50 or so feet away and im using the 4300k stock white hid bulbs.
Good Luck with what ever you decide on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts